By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Black Friday NA SALES UP!!

321tttrini4everz said:
2010 is not a problem for PS2....

But sure is for the ps3 hahaha lol!!!

Jk bro

Around the Network
Spankey said:
CrazzyMan said:
PRICE matter during CRISIS,
good for M$ and Nintendo,
not so good fot Sony.

PS3 will enjoy sales ride after pricecut too.

Now, now Crazzy!

You missed a great oppertunity there.

When comparing companies' games division(hardware) you could have said:

Sony must be smiling!

Here's why:

Nintendo: Wii+DS= 803k+909k= 1712k

Sony: PS3+PS2+PSP= 198k+163K+254K = 615K

MS: X360= 477k

therefore, Sony is probably smililng!

Not as much as Nintendo though, obviously, they sold more than the other two combined.

Besides, on purely a hardware point of view, as PS3 is either breaking even or even losing money every console sold, AND they're tracking OK YoY I don't think SONY is too worried. the more PS3's sold than they expect, the more money they lose (on hardware, not software). In fact, they're probably patting themselves on the back right now because if they had given into pressure and lowered the price for the holidays, they would have lost more than the PSP and PS2 profits could help

Right... for every potential buyer that passes on the PS3 for a 360 this holiday season, Sony is actually breaking open the champagne. Damage control much?

sexybeast said:
Spankey you are correct sir. People seem to forget that Sony's gaming department isnt just PS3. Some people forget they have other departments besides gaming. I agree Sony is happy.

they should not look at the sales .. see there is a great games in its way to the ps3 like killzone 2 & uncharted 2 .. this two is more than enough for me ... people should look at games not sales.

dhummel said:
Spankey said:
CrazzyMan said:
not so good fot Sony.

Now, now Crazzy!

Sony must be smiling!

Here's why:

Not as much as Nintendo though, obviously, they sold more than the other two combined.

Besides, on purely a hardware point of view, as PS3 is either breaking even or even losing money every console sold, AND they're tracking OK YoY I don't think SONY is too worried. the more PS3's sold than they expect, the more money they lose (on hardware, not software). In fact, they're probably patting themselves on the back right now because if they had given into pressure and lowered the price for the holidays, they would have lost more than the PSP and PS2 profits could help

Right... for every potential buyer that passes on the PS3 for a 360 this holiday season, Sony is actually breaking open the champagne. Damage control much?

You completely misread my post and intention. Please reread it carefully before calling it damage control.

thanks.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Spankey said:
dhummel said:
Spankey said:
CrazzyMan said:
not so good fot Sony.

Now, now Crazzy!

Sony must be smiling!

Here's why:

You completely misread my post and intention. Please reread it carefully before calling it damage control.

thanks.

Actually, the parts you highlighted seem to indicate you think Sony would be disconcerted over selling more consoles than whatever their internal projections are. In other words, had Sony bested the 360 on Black Friiday, by your logic, Sony would be cringing. I can imagine top Sony heads meeting and saying: "The marketing department failed us in the worst possible way! We sold too many PS3s!! Ah! For each PS3 we sell over our projections we lose money...God &*^% it!"

This, obviously, is absurd. Perhaps you weren't clear in what you meant to say, but what you did say is Sony does not want to exceed sales projections - this sounds to me like a damge control rationalization.

Around the Network
dhummel said:
Spankey said:
dhummel said:

thanks.

Actually, the parts you highlighted seem to indicate you think Sony would be disconcerted over selling more consoles than whatever their internal projections are. In other words, had Sony bested the 360 on Black Friiday, by your logic, Sony would be cringing. I can imagine top Sony heads meeting and saying: "The marketing department failed us in the worst possible way! We sold too many PS3s!! Ah! For each PS3 we sell over our projections we lose money...God &*^% it!"

This, obviously, is absurd. Perhaps you weren't clear in what you meant to say, but what you did say is Sony does not want to exceed sales projections - this sounds to me like a damge control rationalization.

Yes.

This is precisely why there has been no PS3 price-cut yet.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

I could imagine, it is hard to track sales during a black friday.

MS said 3:1 against PS3, we will see what NPDs has to say, But I don't think the relation between PS3 and Xbox360 will be much different.

MS winning this week with 415k over the PS3. So MS will definately win over the PS3 in 2008. Imagine someone would have said this 4 months ago.

Who was the guy that said PS3 could beat even the Wii (!!!) with a price-cut and GT5 + Final Fantasy coming in 09? The PS3 will never ever make it even close to the Wii. Please admit it!

Nintendo is untouchable. ^^

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Spankey said:
dhummel said:
Spankey said:
dhummel said:

thanks.

Yes.

Oh ok. So I guess Sony's new ad blitz is targeted at keeping prospective buyers away from buying PS3s (so as not to over acheive on the sales front). Thanks for clearing that up, becuase I thought new PS3 ads were meant to promote the product and attract new buyers. But your argument makes more sense. I mean, why spend no money or resources on advertisement when you could be spending six-digit amounts to make sure you don't exceed sales projections? Brilliant.

dhummel said:
Spankey said:
dhummel said:
Spankey said:
dhummel said:

thanks.

Yes.

Oh ok. So I guess Sony's new ad blitz is targeted at keeping prospective buyers away from buying PS3s (so as not to over acheive on the sales front). Thanks for clearing that up, becuase I thought new PS3 ads were meant to promote the product and attract new buyers. But your argument makes more sense. I mean, why spend no money or resources on advertisement when you could be spending six-digit amounts to make sure you don't exceed sales projections? Brilliant.

They spend money on advertising to keep interest in their PS3 hardware market where it is and to increase sales of software and Blu-Rays.

If they wanted more hardware sales than they are currently getting, surely they would have implemented the best move to shift hardware and dropped the price by now? This they haven't done yet.

You're grasping at straws now.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Only if ps3 sold like this weekly.