By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Black Friday NA SALES UP!!

I suspect that Sony expected that it would lose market share this holiday season to both Nintendo and Microsoft. However I also suspect that Sony probably did not expect to lose so much market share. This will not be the first time that Sony has had the PS3 dance close to dangerous margins, but with over two years on the market retailer patience is probably already quite thin.

According to this weeks data the PS3 is standing at just over 17% of the North American next gen console market. This week the console accounted for just over 13% of next gen console sales. The sobering realization is that Sony once more is going to plumb the limits of tolerable margin. Once again they are going to test the tolerance of retailers. Frankly it is like playing with fire, and they are right if you play with fire eventually you will get burned.

This will not be the first time this generation that Sony has tread these particular shores, but they always seem to recover towards safer margins before the hammer can fall, but if you tempt fate often enough. Fate does have a way of delivering a death blow, and it looks as if Sony is going to push it even farther this time around. Getting to within a few weeks of discontinuance if you believe the rumor that is.

Were I a PS3 owner I would be deeply concerned, because this strategy leaves Sony at the mercy of their rivals. Who can attack at the weakest moment. Sure the price cut may help the PS3, but what if Microsoft or Nintendo drop two or three blockbuster titles at that exact same point. The PS3 price cut may get lost in the excitement about those titles, and that could be the few weeks needed to cast the die for retailers.

Around the Network

''Look at all that (green) juice''.

Mighty beast 360 rising. Impressive. Good numbers overall! And the unlucky one, was there.

Too long to read thru all of these posts, so it might have been already said, but with Japan sales, Wii will hit 39M for the week.

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.

Spankey said:
dhummel said:
Spankey said:
dhummel said:
Spankey said:
dhummel said:

You completely misread my post and intention. Please reread it carefully before calling it damage control.

thanks.

Actually, the parts you highlighted seem to indicate you think Sony would be disconcerted over selling more consoles than whatever their internal projections are. In other words, had Sony bested the 360 on Black Friiday, by your logic, Sony would be cringing. I can imagine top Sony heads meeting and saying: "The marketing department failed us in the worst possible way! We sold too many PS3s!! Ah! For each PS3 we sell over our projections we lose money...God &*^% it!"

This, obviously, is absurd. Perhaps you weren't clear in what you meant to say, but what you did say is Sony does not want to exceed sales projections - this sounds to me like a damge control rationalization.

Yes.

This is precisely why there has been no PS3 price-cut yet.

Oh ok. So I guess Sony's new ad blitz is targeted at keeping prospective buyers away from buying PS3s (so as not to over acheive on the sales front). Thanks for clearing that up, becuase I thought new PS3 ads were meant to promote the product and attract new buyers. But your argument makes more sense. I mean, why spend no money or resources on advertisement when you could be spending six-digit amounts to make sure you don't exceed sales projections? Brilliant.

They spend money on advertising to keep interest in their PS3 hardware market where it is and to increase sales of software and Blu-Rays.

If they wanted more hardware sales than they are currently getting, surely they would have implemented the best move to shift hardware and dropped the price by now? This they haven't done yet.

You're grasping at straws now.

So they use a medium like television, where 99% of those watching don't own a PS3, to speak to the existing owner and keep interest in their product? Wouldn't it make more sense, if your objective is to not sell hardware, but software and movies, to advertise heavily in mediums where existing owners would be the only or atleast dominant audience? They might accidently entice new buyers with their TV ads. Uh oh, we don't want that

Dodece said:
I suspect that Sony expected that it would lose market share this holiday season to both Nintendo and Microsoft. However I also suspect that Sony probably did not expect to lose so much market share. This will not be the first time that Sony has had the PS3 dance close to dangerous margins, but with over two years on the market retailer patience is probably already quite thin.

According to this weeks data the PS3 is standing at just over 17% of the North American next gen console market. This week the console accounted for just over 13% of next gen console sales. The sobering realization is that Sony once more is going to plumb the limits of tolerable margin. Once again they are going to test the tolerance of retailers. Frankly it is like playing with fire, and they are right if you play with fire eventually you will get burned.

This will not be the first time this generation that Sony has tread these particular shores, but they always seem to recover towards safer margins before the hammer can fall, but if you tempt fate often enough. Fate does have a way of delivering a death blow, and it looks as if Sony is going to push it even farther this time around. Getting to within a few weeks of discontinuance if you believe the rumor that is.

Were I a PS3 owner I would be deeply concerned, because this strategy leaves Sony at the mercy of their rivals. Who can attack at the weakest moment. Sure the price cut may help the PS3, but what if Microsoft or Nintendo drop two or three blockbuster titles at that exact same point. The PS3 price cut may get lost in the excitement about those titles, and that could be the few weeks needed to cast the die for retailers.

Don't worry, according to Spankey it is all part of the master plan. It may look dire, but Sony doesn't want more market share, really...

Around the Network
dhummel said:
Dodece said:

Don't worry, according to Spankey it is all part of the master plan. It may look dire, but Sony doesn't want more market share, really...

Oh please. is your attention span so short that you've forgotten my first post you replied to?

You're calling Sony the PS3 and completely ignoring the PSP and PS2.

Why do you think they removed B/C from the PS3? so they could have a PS2 hardware/software buffer for these couple of fiscal quarters. PS2 makes more money from hardware than the PS3 does. You might find the PSP does as well.

Sony cannot be viewed as the PS3 alone.

They are probably more concerned about profit for the division than market share in this stage of the PS3 life cycle.

This does not mean they are not concerned about market share or they would have stopped advertising the PS3 hardware (as you pointed out) and dropped the price of the PS3.

If they did that, Sony would more than likely suffer disinvestment at some major level.

This is a long term game.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Sony would be in big trouble financially if not for PS2 and PSP. A PS3 price drop would probably hurt them more then help them, even in March.

darthdevidem01 said:
counting japan PS3 will be 20K higher WW compared to last year.....so price point saturation has basically been reached as sales are showing minimal increases....basically they are flat...

Yep. It is price drops that lead big sales, not big games.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Wii is only 2.78 million away from reaching 50% of the market, it's possible, depending on how many Wii's nintendo has stockpiled for the holidays

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

DirtyP2002 said:

I could imagine, it is hard to track sales during a black friday.

MS said 3:1 against PS3, we will see what NPDs has to say, But I don't think the relation between PS3 and Xbox360 will be much different.

MS winning this week with 415k over the PS3. So MS will definately win over the PS3 in 2008. Imagine someone would have said this 4 months ago.

Who was the guy that said PS3 could beat even the Wii (!!!) with a price-cut and GT5 + Final Fantasy coming in 09? The PS3 will never ever make it even close to the Wii. Please admit it!

Nintendo is untouchable. ^^

Indian people: GASP!

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)