By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Black Friday NA SALES UP!!

MonstaMack said:
Didn't I read somewhere that the 360 outsolde the PS3 3:1, on Gamespot or something?
Looks like NPD is going to be doing some adjustments.

Still, 360 back on top for second place. Wii just dominating, like it always does.

I wrote this in another thread, it should explain it.

Microsoft said 3:1 for Black Friday alone.

If we say that the other days, there was sold ~ 30K for X360 (27K last week) and 15-20K for Ps3 (13K last week).

Thanksgiving is closed, but as the other days are likely to be higher than last week, that gets evened out.

So, for the 6 non-BF days.

X360: 180K

Ps3: 102K

For BF alone, this leaves

X360: 297K

Ps3: 96K

Which is pretty much exactly 3 times as much.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Around the Network

Thanks for explaining that. Now I realize what they were referring to. Thanks.

It's just that simple.

Unfortunately, the 360 sales might be the reason for Wii not reaching 50% marketshare in 2008.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Lets assume the true sales figures are 770.000 Wii and 510.000 360....what would you expect from a guy wearing a Wii shirt and running a site for sales figures?

illuminatus said:
Lets assume the true sales figures are 770.000 Wii and 510.000 360....what would you expect from a guy wearing a Wii shirt and running a site for sales figures?

Umm accurate numbers?

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Around the Network

Dont worry about the PS3, there is always 2009 and if that doesnt work out.

Then in 2010 the PS3 will be discontinued !

illuminatus said:

Get your facts straight, then we'll talk. 

Naum said:
illuminatus said:

Umm accurate numbers?

I remember the days when this site started. There were three bars representing the market-share of Wii, 360 and PS3 respectively. Once I took a ruler and measured if the bars truly fit to the numbers they should represent. The result of this was that the Wii bar was considerably longer than it should have been relating on the numbers. Now....its not so important if it was 1.2 or 1.4 times as long as it should have been. What was important to me was THAT it was longer.

OMFG that is all that needs to be said...that is huge just plain out huge

Dodece said:
I suspect that Sony expected that it would lose market share this holiday season to both Nintendo and Microsoft. However I also suspect that Sony probably did not expect to lose so much market share. This will not be the first time that Sony has had the PS3 dance close to dangerous margins, but with over two years on the market retailer patience is probably already quite thin.

According to this weeks data the PS3 is standing at just over 17% of the North American next gen console market. This week the console accounted for just over 13% of next gen console sales. The sobering realization is that Sony once more is going to plumb the limits of tolerable margin. Once again they are going to test the tolerance of retailers. Frankly it is like playing with fire, and they are right if you play with fire eventually you will get burned.

This will not be the first time this generation that Sony has tread these particular shores, but they always seem to recover towards safer margins before the hammer can fall, but if you tempt fate often enough. Fate does have a way of delivering a death blow, and it looks as if Sony is going to push it even farther this time around. Getting to within a few weeks of discontinuance if you believe the rumor that is.

Were I a PS3 owner I would be deeply concerned, because this strategy leaves Sony at the mercy of their rivals. Who can attack at the weakest moment. Sure the price cut may help the PS3, but what if Microsoft or Nintendo drop two or three blockbuster titles at that exact same point. The PS3 price cut may get lost in the excitement about those titles, and that could be the few weeks needed to cast the die for retailers.

Good thinking overall, but several things should be kept in mind before starting into the "XY is doomed" mode (with XY mostly being Sony if you watch the fanboy threads here).

1. Every console has a saturation level. Provided that all companies stay in the console business over the next years, sales numbers will likely converge for all consoles, as they offer roughly the same thing.

2. The PS3 is way past the critical level of being supported with around 19Mio units sold at the end of this year. Even if X360 were at a 8-9Mio lead within the next 3 months (entirely possible, and nobody at Sony is panicking about that), independent software manufacturers would not dismiss 40% of a potential market. There is no question that Sony was surprised at the losses on hardware MS is willing to take (notice how every other day, some MS guy issues press releases solely about "beating Sony"), but that ship has sailed and there is nothing Sony can do about it.

3. Resellers like to sell the stuff that gives them the biggest margin (lesson number 1 of how to organize a store). This is only a local observation, but the PS3 currently gets way more visible shop space than the X360 or even the Wii (in all shops I checked). This is an indication that  the margin on the PS3 is higher than the margin on the X360. How high that margin is on lower priced elctronics I don't know, maybe in the 12-18% range, with the X360 in the lower and the PS3 in the upper end. Currently X350 is outselling the PS3 in Switzerland roughly 6:5 (before the price cut, it was around 5:3 for PS3), so selling PS3s is clearly more profitable for the shops than selling X360s despite less PS3s sold.