By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The lack of M/18 rated games from Nintendo are good for 3rd Parties

BenKenobi88 said:
err...don't know about that statistic...

Fact is...the FPSs that have come out on the Wii so far have been so-so...graphics aren't good for the Wii, no online, I think Medal of Honor didn't even have split-screen...

That doesn't mean the potential isn't there for great FPSs on the Wii though. The graphics can certainly look pretty good, the Wii can support at least 32 players online, and the unique control scheme makes it a lot of fun. Combine that with the large userbase...probably triple the size of the PS3 userbase by next year, and of course it makes sense for third parties to go to the Wii. Not neglecting the 360 of course.

It was actually call of duty 3 with no split screen or online for the wii. Anyway I see where your coming from and I agree their can be great shooters for the wii but I also agree that graphics sometimes makes the fps. Take F.E.A.R. for example the graphics and the sound really set it up from other shooters. Graphics added to the atmosphere and made it a great game. Now I'm not saying that gameplay or story dosen't matter in a fps they certainly do but most people when they talk about a fps they talk graphics. Gameplay wise all shooter are bascially the same (of course there are little tricks that vary the gameplay like special weapons such as the gravity gun) so there is very little to actually differentiate between shooters and and as for story, you won't see anyone go: "Fuck dude did you read the story of the new Doom game, its sick". They are going to most likely say: "Did you see the graphics on Doom X, they're fucking sick". I think graphics do matter more when it comes to shooters and if wii shooters are more artistic and stylized I think they will sell because it set itself apart from other shooters. Also I forgot to mention because of the unique controller of the wii, the can possibly produce better shooters than the ps3 or the 360 but I don't think it will happen for a long time. The only company that I think can make a visually stunning shooter that has great controls for the wii is Nintendo and I don't think they will make one unless they make a sequel to Giest.

Around the Network

@ killzone3

"The darkness
Ps3 - 100k sold user base of 1.7 million - attach rate 5.8%
360 - 200k sold user base of 6.6 million - attach rate 3%"

In other news. When the third ps3 was sold, 2 of them bought resistance.66% attach rate!!!! OMG!!! Insane attach rates.

Quit trolling! Why does every topic you get into have to revolve around you and always goes offtopic by your constant responses and offensiveness?

I find this idea that only nintendo can create a good game for the wii extreamly strange, it's like expecting Microsoft to make all the good games for the PC.

@ tk1797
The Wii is just hardware, if third parties can create great games for the PS2 and PC I fail to understand this low expectation of third party Devs.
These Developers will have to put some of there best teams on to projects if they wish to have a real share in the Wii market, and all reports show this is the case.

Metroid is Nintendo's shooter, ok it is a FPA but it basically controls like a shooter...your in first person mode and you shoot things, I know you do other stuff to...which sets it apart from most shooters :)

If Metroid is a success I imagine will we see alot of dev's looking closely at it's controls, indeed I imagine they already have.

As an FPS expert, who has never owned a console since the 2600, who is about as "hardcore" a FPS gamer as you get without going Pro I would say I had a good Idea as anyone to what a FPS gamer wants.

Graphics are cool, but it wasn't graphics that made Half Life so great, it was the atmosphere, interesting challengers and clever story line.
Quake was great because it balanced the weapons so well, and going on line fragging people for the first time ever was a wonderful experiance.
Setting up leagues, training a clans, meeting great people, that all rocks with Online FPS'

You know when I first played UT2003 I just looked around at the wonderful world and got shot :D After that I turned down the settings to get the highest FPS I could.
I've never played an online shooter at a higher res. then 1024x768 to make sure I have the game running as smooth as possible.

There are actually many types of FPS' I wouldn't class a game like Max payne and Quake 3 together, one is very story driven the other one is about purely about pure skill and tatics. ideallya game like Max Payne would require better art style to get you into the mood of the game, but having a few less polygons wouldn't ruin that

The games that require really beautiful graphics are MMORPGS and adventure games where you go exploring and finding lovely lakes or mountians, thats what I need the greatest graphics card for, I'll be looking for the turtle in crysis ;)
Even so I still thought Zelda looked lovely after I got used to looking at games on a TV again.

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"

The reason why I don't think third parties can make a truly great wii shooter is because third party wii developers have been lazy and they haven't been using the potential of the wii controller. I think Nintendo will need to lead the way when it comes to shooters and show how the wii controller can be used and your right metroid could be that game that shows how great the wii controller is for shooters. Frankly I totally forgot about metroid.

As for graphics, I agree that the wii dosen't need to push polygons to make a great shooter but I do think it needs unique graphics. When Quake and Half-Life came out they had some of the best graphics and that did nothing but help. It got alot of attention because of the graphics and that helped them set themselves apart from other shooters. So if wii shooters has some amazing artistic and stylized graphics, it will set themselves apart from ps3 and 360 shooters and that will cause it to sell more. Combine great wii controls with great wii graphics and you have a 1+ million seller right there and thats the reason why I think graphics matter. Not only does graphics set one shooter apart from the other but in combination with great gameplay it can make a great shooter that could sell millions.

BenKenobi88 said:
Half the people who plan on buying No More Heroes for Wii are probably buying it because it's rated M...I can see third parties putting violent games on the Wii and doing well...so I don't see a problem.

You think so? Well.. I'm not one of them. I think the main selling piont of NMH is it's unique visual style and concept [serial killer with a beam katana!]. I hope gamers aren't eluded to buy games simply because it has 'M' on the cover. Don't tell me we have sunk so low....

"She can feel it changing her. It's becoming a part of her, corrupting her. But what frightens her most... she likes it!" - Effects of Phazon corruption.

Metroid Prime 3 Hype Level: Corrupted

Reviews:

1UP - 9.0 

IGN - 9.5

It is a hardcore game through and through. You will get your ass kicked by bosses. You will be stumped by the sometimes complex, but never overbearing, exploration.
"You'll never want to play any shooter with dual analog sticks ever again - it's THAT good.". - Gametrailers
Around the Network

I wish there was an option to turn off the blood/gore in NMH, because otherwise I'm very interested in it. But from what I've heard of Suda51's previous games, that won't happen.

(lots of blood/gore kills my interest in almost ANY game/movie, even at 28 years old)

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

tk1797 said:
BenKenobi88 said:
err...don't know about that statistic...

Fact is...the FPSs that have come out on the Wii so far have been so-so...graphics aren't good for the Wii, no online, I think Medal of Honor didn't even have split-screen...

That doesn't mean the potential isn't there for great FPSs on the Wii though. The graphics can certainly look pretty good, the Wii can support at least 32 players online, and the unique control scheme makes it a lot of fun. Combine that with the large userbase...probably triple the size of the PS3 userbase by next year, and of course it makes sense for third parties to go to the Wii. Not neglecting the 360 of course.

It was actually call of duty 3 with no split screen or online for the wii. Anyway I see where your coming from and I agree their can be great shooters for the wii but I also agree that graphics sometimes makes the fps. Take F.E.A.R. for example the graphics and the sound really set it up from other shooters. Graphics added to the atmosphere and made it a great game. Now I'm not saying that gameplay or story dosen't matter in a fps they certainly do but most people when they talk about a fps they talk graphics. Gameplay wise all shooter are bascially the same (of course there are little tricks that vary the gameplay like special weapons such as the gravity gun) so there is very little to actually differentiate between shooters and and as for story, you won't see anyone go: "Fuck dude did you read the story of the new Doom game, its sick". They are going to most likely say: "Did you see the graphics on Doom X, they're fucking sick". I think graphics do matter more when it comes to shooters and if wii shooters are more artistic and stylized I think they will sell because it set itself apart from other shooters. Also I forgot to mention because of the unique controller of the wii, the can possibly produce better shooters than the ps3 or the 360 but I don't think it will happen for a long time. The only company that I think can make a visually stunning shooter that has great controls for the wii is Nintendo and I don't think they will make one unless they make a sequel to Giest.

Eh people LOVE the Halo story they have books and comics and crap I hear.  People constantly talk about how cool it is.  FPS can be definined by a good story.  It's just most developers are too lazy to come up with one.

Anyone who gets a game ONLY because it's rated M, and for no other reason, is about as uninformed as you can get.

PS3: 5.51m/51w, avg 108,039/w (up 239)
360: 12.93m/102w, avg 126,764/w (up 625), leads PS3 by 7.42m (up 70k), avg lead 18,725/w (up 386)
Wii: 13.52m/51w, avg 265,098/w (dn 1,102), leads PS3 by 8.01m (up 90k), avg lead 157,059/w (dn 1,341)

If 360 sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass 360 by...
01/08: (008w) +875.8%, 04/08: (021w) +344.4%, 07/08: (034w) +219.3%, 10/08: (047w) +163.5%
01/09: (060w) +131.8%, 04/09: (073w) +111.4%, 07/09: (085w) +098.1%, 10/09: (099w) +086.7%
If Wii sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass Wii by...
01/08: (008w) +1072.%, 04/08: (021w) +498.4%, 07/08: (034w) +363.4%, 10/08: (047w) +303.1%
01/09: (060w) +269.0%, 04/09: (073w) +246.9%, 07/09: (085w) +232.6%, 10/09: (099w) +220.3%
If PS2 sales freeze, Wii sales increases needed to pass PS2 (as of Mar07, 108.4m) by...
2008: (008w) +4373.8%, 2009: (060w) +0496.5%, 2010: (112w) +0219.6%, 2011: (165w) +0116.9%
2012: (217w) +0064.9%, 2013: (269w) +0033.1%, 2014: (321w) +0011.5%, 2015: (376w) -0004.8%
At +0% it will pass it in 358w, the week ending September 19th, 2014, at an age of 409w (7y44w).
Current age of PS2: 7y37w.

Last update: Week ending November 3, 2007

WiteoutKing said:
Anyone who gets a game ONLY because it's rated M, and for no other reason, is about as uninformed as you can get.

But what if those rated M games have pretty graphics (PS3)? :)