By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The lack of M/18 rated games from Nintendo are good for 3rd Parties

mancandy said:
I agree with the post, however, I think Nintendo and the Wii still has that kiddie image. I think will be quite some time before they shake that off. No matter how many Godfathers and RE4s the system has, Nintendo has that stigma branded on their brand name.

Wii will have a kiddie image untill nintendo makes some mature games, and by what Miyamoto says that wont be any time soon. Yes 3rd part can make them matute games but problem is they suck at making games for the wii.

As far as the op not only do the 3rd partys really suck at making wii games they are for are clearly on the casual/party type bandwgon right now which will mean they get killed by Nintendo games as far as sales go. They also are also more content with porting mature PS2 games then making new ones for the wii.

You will not see many FPS, TPS, RTS 3rd party games on the wii, those games are better suited for the more powerfull hardware.

Around the Network
Killzone3 said:
mancandy said:
I agree with the post, however, I think Nintendo and the Wii still has that kiddie image. I think will be quite some time before they shake that off. No matter how many Godfathers and RE4s the system has, Nintendo has that stigma branded on their brand name.

Wii will have a kiddie image untill nintendo makes some mature games, and by what Miyamoto says that wont be any time soon. Yes 3rd part can make them matute games but problem is they suck at making games for the wii.

As far as the op not only do the 3rd partys really suck at making wii games they are for are clearly on the casual/party type bandwgon right now which will mean they get killed by Nintendo games as far as sales go. They also are also more content with porting mature PS2 games then making new ones for the wii.

You will not see many FPS, TPS, RTS 3rd party games on the wii, those games are better suited for the more powerfull hardware.

Third parties are just going to have to change that then. They can't afford to let the Wii be an untapped third party resoursce.

I wouldn't say third parties suck at making games for the Wii. Most of the games I own for the Wii are third party: RE4, Madden 07, Tiger Woods 07, SSX Blur, Godfather 2, Call of Duty 3, Red Steel. All of these are exceptional games except for the last two, they were okay. Third parties just have to start using their first string developers to make games for the Wii.

I think you will be very surprised in the future when more FPS, TPS and RTS start coming out for the Wii. Call of Duty 3 was surprisingly fun and handled very well. If they tweek it a little FPS will be awesome on the Wii. TPS....RE4, I predict RE5 will be on the Wii. RTS would be a perfect genre for the Wii, especially with the pointer.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

I think this is a good way of thinking of things. Microsoft seems to be leaving all genres open for third party support, any RPG or Kiddy game will do very well due to lack of other games like it on the console. And Nintendo will have a huge open chunk for M rated games for the Wii. These are good ways of approaching 3rd party advocacy. However Sony may find itself in Nintendo's old shoes as the more it pushes its own first and second party "hardcore" titles the more competition it creates for third party developers.

Either way, I think most 3rd party developers are still living in the last generation of gaming in how they think of things. They've already found themselves empty handed with the Wii when it struck big and now that the PS3 is starting to show a teeny bit of momentum they're probably more confused now than ever.

Half the people who plan on buying No More Heroes for Wii are probably buying it because it's rated M...I can see third parties putting violent games on the Wii and doing well...so I don't see a problem.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

XboxSoldier12 said:
I think this is a good way of thinking of things. Microsoft seems to be leaving all genres open for third party support, any RPG or Kiddy game will do very well due to lack of other games like it on the console. And Nintendo will have a huge open chunk for M rated games for the Wii. These are good ways of approaching 3rd party advocacy. However Sony may find itself in Nintendo's old shoes as the more it pushes its own first and second party "hardcore" titles the more competition it creates for third party developers.

Either way, I think most 3rd party developers are still living in the last generation of gaming in how they think of things. They've already found themselves empty handed with the Wii when it struck big and now that the PS3 is starting to show a teeny bit of momentum they're probably more confused now than ever.

Agreed.

Play Sega Saturn!!!

My Music Video

My History

Around the Network

It goes both ways, though. You can say that Nintendo has left the market completely open for 3rd parties to capture the 15-24 male demographic; but you could also say that Nintendo's lack of strength in this area (They aren't completely lacking,  I don't mean that) means that some third party has to bite the bullet and be the first to expand this demographic on the Wii.

Put more generally, good first party titles are a double edged sword. They expand the demographic on that particular console, thus giving similar third party games an installed base to work from; simultaneously, they compete with and, perhaps, suppress the sales of those third party games.

So you're right, there is a good side to Nintendo's relative weakness in the violent, 16-25 year old male demographic. There's also a bad side, too, as third parties can't be sure that there games have an audience to sell to. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

mancandy said:
Killzone3 said:
mancandy said:

Third parties are just going to have to change that then. They can't afford to let the Wii be an untapped third party resoursce.

I wouldn't say third parties suck at making games for the Wii. Most of the games I own for the Wii are third party: RE4, Madden 07, Tiger Woods 07, SSX Blur, Godfather 2, Call of Duty 3, Red Steel. All of these are exceptional games except for the last two, they were okay. Third parties just have to start using their first string developers to make games for the Wii.

I think you will be very surprised in the future when more FPS, TPS and RTS start coming out for the Wii. Call of Duty 3 was surprisingly fun and handled very well. If they tweek it a little FPS will be awesome on the Wii. TPS....RE4, I predict RE5 will be on the Wii. RTS would be a perfect genre for the Wii, especially with the pointer.

Most FPS, TPS and RTS are being build on very high tech engines that are not being used on the wii.  Sales wise its not worth it to spend 10 million making a wii version using their first string devs.   Its more cost effective to make the shooter for the PS3/360

Highest selling shooters
Wii 1.01 million Red Steel
PS3 1.53 million Resistance
360 4.45 million Gears

The market for that those type of games is much better on PS3/360 then the Wii.  Even at twice the devlopment costs the potential sales are 6 times bigger then on PS3/360 so i just dont see big FPS TPS RTS games being made for the wii.

Yeah...because Red Steel is such a quality game compared to the other two...

If the Wii were to get a well-made exclusive FPS...it'd sell by the tons...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

I have to disagree with you KillZone, More powerful hardware doesn't make any games for of those Genres better as far as game play goes, I still prefer the first AOE over all other RTS that have come out after all these years, it's simple, fun and perfectly balanced.

3rd parties at the moment do seem to be making a great deal of casual games for two reasons
1) Nintendo did it and it worked
2) they haven't had enough time to create any epic games. This is also why we are seeing so many ports. Many of the Ps3 games are also ports during this phase of it's life cycle.

Even so my point still stands, the user base of Wii is willing to buy mature games, it just takes a couple of really good third party FPS/TPS ect games to lead the way, Red steal wasn't up to the task and yet it was the far more successful then any of the Ported games.

At some point Dev's will see that and start making Exclusive titles. Maybe I just have more faith in Dev's then you do Killzone3 :)

@ Rol, thanks for the info! I think that is why they Just called it the "Wii" and not the "Nintendo Wii" it gives it a fresh start, same with the DS

@DonWii thanks for the Info on the N64, I haven't owned any Ninty products before the Wii so I'm still having to do some catch up research :)

The Wii is a totally different beast to the Cube, the user base is a powerful draw to the developers and the fact that only 10% of Wii users are new to gaming really proves that it's not just casuals that are buying the Wii, it will sink in really fast that they don't want just casual games.

I have no doubt Red Steal will be far from the last FPS made exclusively for the Wii as the demand is very high for a good one.

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"

Killzone3 said:
mancandy said:
Killzone3 said:
mancandy said:

Most FPS, TPS and RTS are being build on very high tech engines that are not being used on the wii.  Sales wise its not worth it to spend 10 million making a wii version using their first string devs.   Its more cost effective to make the shooter for the PS3/360

Highest selling shooters
Wii 1.01 million Red Steel
PS3 1.53 million Resistance
360 4.45 million Gears

The market for that those type of games is much better on PS3/360 then the Wii.  Even at twice the devlopment costs the potential sales are 6 times bigger then on PS3/360 so i just dont see big FPS TPS RTS games being made for the wii.

I don't know. The fact that Red Steel sucked might have something to do with that. If Red Steel was on Ps3 I bet it'd of sold under a million and if Resistance was on PS3 it would sell atleast 2 mil.