By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The lack of M/18 rated games from Nintendo are good for 3rd Parties

BenKenobi88 said:
Yeah...because Red Steel is such a quality game compared to the other two...

If the Wii were to get a well-made exclusive FPS...it'd sell by the tons...

Can a Fps on the wii be as good as those ones ?

Does the wii have a good enough online capabilty ?
How many players online can it do ?
What about the graphics, shooter fans are graphic whores.
Has any one gotten UR3 engine to work on the wii.

Around the Network

Resistance was on Wii you mean?

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Killzone3 said:
BenKenobi88 said:
Yeah...because Red Steel is such a quality game compared to the other two...

If the Wii were to get a well-made exclusive FPS...it'd sell by the tons...

Can a Fps on the wii be as good as those ones ?

Does the wii have a good enough online capabilty ?
How many players online can it do ?
What about the graphics, shooter fans are graphic whores.
Has any one gotten UR3 engine to work on the wii.

You're so annoying.

"Can a Fps on the wii be as good as those ones ?"  Yes.  I actually had fun with my friends with Red Steel...if they made a sequel or a brand new, good FPS...it could be more fun than Halo even.

"Does the wii have a good enough online capabilty ?"  Yeah, probably.

"How many players online can it do ?"  The highest so far is 32 players in an FPS online.

"What about the graphics, shooter fans are graphic whores."  Thanks for stereotyping all FPS fans.  If it looks good for a Wii game...it'll look good enough for me.  They can probably get good HL2-like graphics...and that's good enough for a console game for me.

"Has any one gotten UR3 engine to work on the wii."  Who cares...?  The UR3 is not the only engine out there...honestly.  UR3 ENGINE DOES NOT EQUAL GREAT GAME.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Yeah... Comparing a 3rd Party Shooter to two 1st Party Shooters....
Thats great...

Why not compare Red Steel and The Darkness...

Play Sega Saturn!!!

My Music Video

My History

Killzone3 said:
mancandy said:
Killzone3 said:
mancandy said:
I agree with the post, however, I think Nintendo and the Wii still has that kiddie image. I think will be quite some time before they shake that off. No matter how many Godfathers and RE4s the system has, Nintendo has that stigma branded on their brand name.

Wii will have a kiddie image untill nintendo makes some mature games, and by what Miyamoto says that wont be any time soon. Yes 3rd part can make them matute games but problem is they suck at making games for the wii.

As far as the op not only do the 3rd partys really suck at making wii games they are for are clearly on the casual/party type bandwgon right now which will mean they get killed by Nintendo games as far as sales go. They also are also more content with porting mature PS2 games then making new ones for the wii.

You will not see many FPS, TPS, RTS 3rd party games on the wii, those games are better suited for the more powerfull hardware.

Third parties are just going to have to change that then. They can't afford to let the Wii be an untapped third party resoursce.

I wouldn't say third parties suck at making games for the Wii. Most of the games I own for the Wii are third party: RE4, Madden 07, Tiger Woods 07, SSX Blur, Godfather 2, Call of Duty 3, Red Steel. All of these are exceptional games except for the last two, they were okay. Third parties just have to start using their first string developers to make games for the Wii.

I think you will be very surprised in the future when more FPS, TPS and RTS start coming out for the Wii. Call of Duty 3 was surprisingly fun and handled very well. If they tweek it a little FPS will be awesome on the Wii. TPS....RE4, I predict RE5 will be on the Wii. RTS would be a perfect genre for the Wii, especially with the pointer.

Most FPS, TPS and RTS are being build on very high tech engines that are not being used on the wii.  Sales wise its not worth it to spend 10 million making a wii version using their first string devs.   Its more cost effective to make the shooter for the PS3/360

Highest selling shooters
Wii 1.01 million Red Steel
PS3 1.53 million Resistance
360 4.45 million Gears

The market for that those type of games is much better on PS3/360 then the Wii.  Even at twice the devlopment costs the potential sales are 6 times bigger then on PS3/360 so i just dont see big FPS TPS RTS games being made for the wii.

Two points

1) Red Steal was a launch game and the user base was really small at that time.

2) Maybe It simply wasn't very good  as Kasz said (I haven't played it due to the poor reviews - Still might though :) )

The shear size of the user base and lack of competition in this genre offsets the wider demographic of the Wii.

Personally I would buy any of the shooters coming out for the Xbox or Ps3 on the PC (where it was an option), I couldn't do that on the Wii.

@ Bodhesatva I think metroid goes some way towards breaking the Ice for developers, which is why I veiw it as such an important game even though it's really an FPA.

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"

Around the Network

Side Note: Ubisoft and Sierra are working on getting UR3 to work on Wii. I don't think anyone has tried.

Play Sega Saturn!!!

My Music Video

My History

Killzone3, Developers go where the money is. We also shouldn't mistaken trends in gaming and graphics carried over from the previous generation as indicators for the way they're going to be this generation. The fact FPSs steered clear of the GC last gen when it was almost on par with the Xbox is fair testament to the fact that graphics alone aren't the only detourant.

The only real problem I see happening is developers relying on the "Wow" factor of impressive graphics as the only way to do FPSs now. It is certainly Sony's angle on the matter, but of course Sony is going to make the fullest use of its graphics and brag them up, that's expected and deserved. However the FPS genre as a whole (even outside of Sony) has seemingly become hijacked by graphics and the need to compare them by which FPS can deliver the most realistic graphics. As an Xbox fan I'm worried what this means for the future of games like Halo which didn't necessaraly do well because of graphics but rather made a game that was over all well rounded and fun.

Vengi said:

Two points

1) Red Steal was a launch game and the user base was really small at that time.

2) Maybe It simply wasn't very good as Kasz said (I haven't played it due to the poor reviews - Still might though :) )

The shear size of the user base and lack of competition in this genre offsets the wider demographic of the Wii.

1 - So was Resisatance
2 - ok
3 - says you, its not proven by sales and thats what 3rd party devs see.  Why should they risk losing million by making a wii fps ?  Shooters doing great on the PS3 and 360 is well proven.  Its just a better business decision to make a shooter for the PS3/360 just like its a better decision to make a party game for the wii and not for PS3/360. 

1. But Red Steel had a few other games to fight against, like Zelda, Raving Rabbids, etc. PS3 didn't have much else to fight against Resistance.

And way to totally ignore my post...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM

XboxSoldier12 said:
Killzone3, Developers go where the money is. We also shouldn't mistaken trends in gaming and graphics carried over from the previous generation as indicators for the way they're going to be this generation. The fact FPSs steered clear of the GC last gen when it was almost on par with the Xbox is fair testament to the fact that graphics alone aren't the only detourant.

The only real problem I see happening is developers relying on the "Wow" factor of impressive graphics as the only way to do FPSs now. It is certainly Sony's angle on the matter, but of course Sony is going to make the fullest use of its graphics and brag them up, that's expected and deserved. However the FPS genre as a whole (even outside of Sony) has seemingly become hijacked by graphics and the need to compare them by which FPS can deliver the most realistic graphics. As an Xbox fan I'm worried what this means for the future of games like Halo which didn't necessaraly do well because of graphics but rather made a game that was over all well rounded and fun.

Yes its all about money, and potential sales are 6 times bigger on the PS3/360 then the wii.  This does not inculde a potentiala PC version.  Graphics matter to FPS fans, its just a fact of life some would argue just becasue they are wii owners.  Most talked about shooters frm E3 are Killzone CallOfDuty4 and Crysis, what do they have in common?

Halo had really good graphics, i dont know what your worried about.