By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The lack of M/18 rated games from Nintendo are good for 3rd Parties

@Segata Sanshiro - Do you have a link to the attempt to get UR3 to work with the Wii? I would be very interested to read about it.

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"

Around the Network

Seems like no one is going to respond to my post. I feel so unwanted :(

He's not gonna respond, he decided to ignore my post because it was "annoying."

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

tk1797 said:
Killzone3 said:
Vengi said:

Two points

1) Red Steal was a launch game and the user base was really small at that time.

2) Maybe It simply wasn't very good as Kasz said (I haven't played it due to the poor reviews - Still might though :) )

The shear size of the user base and lack of competition in this genre offsets the wider demographic of the Wii.

1 - So was Resisatance
2 - ok
3 - says you, its not proven by sales and thats what 3rd party devs see. Why should they risk losing million by making a wii fps ? Shooters doing great on the PS3 and 360 is well proven. Its just a better business decision to make a shooter for the PS3/360 just like its a better decision to make a party game for the wii and not for PS3/360.

Shooters sell on the 360, Period. Ps3 not so much, beside resistance I don't think shooters have done well on the ps3. The Darkness and RSV did pretty poorly on the ps3 (I might be wrong about this please correct me if I am ), also didn't the wii version of call of duty 3 sell better on the wii. Also FEAR didn't do that great in the ps3. Also Resident evil 4 for the wii seems to be selling, call of duty 3 sold well, and red steel is a million seller. Overall I think ps3 and wii have simialr sales when it comes to shooters. Also anyone know if Medal of Honour for the wii sold well or above a 100k? Thanks.

Were talking 3rd party here, so unless its special deal with Sony it will be on the 360 also. So its PS3/360 vs Wii.

The darkness
Ps3 - 100k sold user base of 1.7 million - attach rate 5.8%
360 - 200k sold user base of 6.6 million - attach rate 3%

RSV and Fear were old ports.

Lets use COD3 as example.

PS3 - 300k
Wii - 320k
360 - 1.61 million

360 developmet costs twice as much ass wii, so lets say it cost 20 million. To port it costs 10% so 2 million.

PS3/360 game cost 22 million, the Wii game cost 10 million.
Ps3/360 sold 1.9 million wii sold 320k, the beter business decision is quite obvious.

Thats damn near right on with my initial saying that a Shooter potential sales are 6 times greater on 360/Ps3 then on the Wii.

Guess proving you wrong was just too tempting for him Ben Kenobi.

Also Killzone3, your arthimatic is a mystery to all. I still don't see how you derive FPs selling six times better on the 360/PS3 than the Wii given your "figures".

Around the Network

You forget that the userbase is one of the biggest factors, and the Wii's is certainly bigger now then it was when COD3 came out...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

And I'm not as mad about him saying the 6x greater thing...I'm mad about him generalizing FPS fans and such, in the post that he has yet to answer.
You know...this post:

"Can a Fps on the wii be as good as those ones ?" Yes. I actually had fun with my friends with Red Steel...if they made a sequel or a brand new, good FPS...it could be more fun than Halo even.

"Does the wii have a good enough online capabilty ?" Yeah, probably.

"How many players online can it do ?" The highest so far is 32 players in an FPS online.

"What about the graphics, shooter fans are graphic whores." Thanks for stereotyping all FPS fans. If it looks good for a Wii game...it'll look good enough for me. They can probably get good HL2-like graphics...and that's good enough for a console game for me.

"Has any one gotten UR3 engine to work on the wii." Who cares...? The UR3 is not the only engine out there...honestly. UR3 ENGINE DOES NOT EQUAL GREAT GAME.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM

and not to mention most people have two consoles. So they already probably owned COD3 on xbox360.

err...don't know about that statistic...

Fact is...the FPSs that have come out on the Wii so far have been so-so...graphics aren't good for the Wii, no online, I think Medal of Honor didn't even have split-screen...

That doesn't mean the potential isn't there for great FPSs on the Wii though. The graphics can certainly look pretty good, the Wii can support at least 32 players online, and the unique control scheme makes it a lot of fun. Combine that with the large userbase...probably triple the size of the PS3 userbase by next year, and of course it makes sense for third parties to go to the Wii. Not neglecting the 360 of course.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM

BenKenobi88 said:
Killzone3 said:
BenKenobi88 said:
Yeah...because Red Steel is such a quality game compared to the other two...

If the Wii were to get a well-made exclusive FPS...it'd sell by the tons...

Can a Fps on the wii be as good as those ones ?

Does the wii have a good enough online capabilty ?
How many players online can it do ?
What about the graphics, shooter fans are graphic whores.
Has any one gotten UR3 engine to work on the wii.

You're so annoying.

"Can a Fps on the wii be as good as those ones ?"  Yes.  I actually had fun with my friends with Red Steel...if they made a sequel or a brand new, good FPS...it could be more fun than Halo even.

"Does the wii have a good enough online capabilty ?"  Yeah, probably.

"How many players online can it do ?"  The highest so far is 32 players in an FPS online.

"What about the graphics, shooter fans are graphic whores."  Thanks for stereotyping all FPS fans.  If it looks good for a Wii game...it'll look good enough for me.  They can probably get good HL2-like graphics...and that's good enough for a console game for me.

"Has any one gotten UR3 engine to work on the wii."  Who cares...?  The UR3 is not the only engine out there...honestly.  UR3 ENGINE DOES NOT EQUAL GREAT GAME.

I'll say.  I'd rather have a game use the old Quake engine instead of Unreal 2.5.  I'm not sure 3 will change my mind on that.

The only reason SOME FPS fans are "Graphic Whores" is because FPS games are worse then the Madden and Dynasty Warriors games in that they very rarely add anything new.  They pretty much use the same game and reskin everything upgrade the graphics and tweak the controls. 

Aside from Graphics FPS games now are no better the Castle Wolfenstein and Golden Eye.  The Wii's control scheme atleast freshens up the genre a bit.