By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Interesting discovery.... (Ps3 20 mil mark related)

Lets put it this way last year the prime selling period was more than this year.

This year between Thanksgiving and Christmas is 26 days. November 27th through December 24th inclusive.

Last year the period was 32 days.

The days after Christmas dont seel nearly as much as the days leading up to Christmas. So a couple extra days post Christmas wont make up for the 6 extra days last year had before Christmas and after Thanksgiving.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Around the Network
thx1139 said:
Lets put it this way last year the prime selling period was more than this year.

This year between Thanksgiving and Christmas is 26 days. November 27th through December 24th inclusive.

Last year the period was 32 days.

The days after Christmas dont seel nearly as much as the days leading up to Christmas. So a couple extra days post Christmas wont make up for the 6 extra days last year had before Christmas and after Thanksgiving.

I'll agree that days between Thanksgiving and Christmas would sell more than days after Christmas... but this isn't any decent length of time we are talking about. Shouldnt hinder sales too much.

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 01st Dec 2007 to 05th Jan 2008:

Console PS3
Total

These are, I guess, the comparable weeks from last year. Since it's tracking comparably, even a bit lower, so far this holiday (according to your numbers) I'm guessing it will end up about the same.

So whether or not it will hit 20 million this year is uncertain. It won't be far off anyway.

This is invisible text!

AKA makes a good point.
However, with Black Friday one week later -- that means there is one LESS week of holiday shopping.
Not exactly what is needed this year, either for the economy or for the PS3.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

@AKA pooperscooper

Have you made any allowances for price point depletion within your analysis. The concept being that the console has not moved from last years price point, and may have exhausted a sizable proportion of that potential market last year. Basically there being a set number of consumers willing to pay that price in the name of gift giving, and that last year the PS3 accumulated a large percentage of that market. Leaving this years market more diminutive.

The of coarse coming before two other relevant facts. The first of which being that holiday spending is averaging less this year then last year due to a global economy in recession. Further more one of the key facets of the device. The ability to play high definition media has been usurped by much less expensive stand alone players. Meaning potential purchasers for movie watching purposes only will be far less disposed to purchase a PS3. We must remember the PS3 for the past two holiday seasons has been a dual purpose product. Often enough being sold to two different markets.

I am finding it hard to imagine that the PS3 will actually sell much better then it did last year given all of the factors leveled against it. Basically being that their will be less consumers for the product to sell to.

Around the Network
Dodece said:
@AKA pooperscooper

Have you made any allowances for price point depletion within your analysis. The concept being that the console has not moved from last years price point, and may have exhausted a sizable proportion of that potential market last year. Basically there being a set number of consumers willing to pay that price in the name of gift giving, and that last year the PS3 accumulated a large percentage of that market. Leaving this years market more diminutive.

The of coarse coming before two other relevant facts. The first of which being that holiday spending is averaging less this year then last year due to a global economy in recession. Further more one of the key facets of the device. The ability to play high definition media has been usurped by much less expensive stand alone players. Meaning potential purchasers for movie watching purposes only will be far less disposed to purchase a PS3. We must remember the PS3 for the past two holiday seasons has been a dual purpose product. Often enough being sold to two different markets.

I am finding it hard to imagine that the PS3 will actually sell much better then it did last year given all of the factors leveled against it. Basically being that their will be less consumers for the product to sell to.

It needs 360k for this week happening right now. If it doesn't make this number then it will def. be tough for the Ps3. Anyway anything more than 19.5 will be great for the Ps3 since almost EVERYONE is saying it will sell less than that. (some even said 18-18.5mil)

SOLIDSNAKE08 said:
ps3 will sell 20 million by the end of the year. maybe not on this site but it REALLY will. not only that but sony will probably ship around 23 million by the end of the year! which means getting closer to 360 or atleast staying the same hwich is good.

You are either nieve or have had no contact with the real world for some time.

If you are on this site to troll and do not trust the sales then you shouldnt be here.

By Jan 09 it's looking very very likely 360 will have a 7mill + lead. Thats more than the beginning of 2008. That means Sony lost ground this year with several big hitting games for them.

Neoraf said:
lol Artur, haven't you seen the Others Numbers this past few weeks?
The PS3 is seriously lagging behing 360 and Wii.

People go for Quality? Yep, and they didn't chose PS3. Says a lot.
People go for good games and strong game related service.

Grow up Playstation fans...
The good years are behind you.

I think you should grow up because every single post you make is full of crap and offensive to, not just fanboys but fans in general as you have us all picked out as the loosing team at a soccer match.

People know the xbox 360 is made of shit, the only reason it sells so well is because that parents buy it so they can afford a console for their kids this christmas. It's reached the level where people might just grab it simply because it's as cheap as the ps2. I think you should try to think in the future when posting because as of now you are seen as nothing more than a blatant fanboy who aparently has a copy pasting madness and likes to repeat himself with wording nonesence that he doesn't back up.

Check out my game about moles ^

Staude said:
Neoraf said:
lol Artur, haven't you seen the Others Numbers this past few weeks?
The PS3 is seriously lagging behing 360 and Wii.

People go for Quality? Yep, and they didn't chose PS3. Says a lot.
People go for good games and strong game related service.

Grow up Playstation fans...
The good years are behind you.

I think you should grow up because every single post you make is full of crap and offensive to, not just fanboys but fans in general as you have us all picked out as the loosing team at a soccer match.

People know the xbox 360 is made of shit, the only reason it sells so well is because that parents buy it so they can afford a console for their kids this christmas. It's reached the level where people might just grab it simply because it's as cheap as the ps2. I think you should try to think in the future when posting because as of now you are seen as nothing more than a blatant fanboy who aparently has a copy pasting madness and likes to repeat himself with wording nonesence that he doesn't back up.

Isnt it Ironic while you tell him what he has become, you become the same thing. I thought the reason why people bought 360's now was best HD game library and no more RRoD.

I'm sticking with the numbers in my SIG.

4 ≈ One