By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So 1up/egm are not anti PS3 in their reviews ?

AllAll said:
Kasz216 said:
leo-j said:
So basicly if mario galaxy is supposed to get a 10/10 its price will drop it to a 9/10? Its the same situation.

Pretty much. If Mario was going to get a 10/10 and then suddenly instead of making it a full priced game they decided to charge $70 for it it would likely get a reduced score.

Does it have online, nope then even if its normal price it should get -1

Its not a full game.

And now we're back to trolling, if only it were record time it might be something notable.  A game doesn't need to be online to be good.

Around the Network

@AllAll, LoL, as usual.

Kasz216 said:
leo-j said:
So basicly if mario galaxy is supposed to get a 10/10 its price will drop it to a 9/10? Its the same situation.

Pretty much.  If Mario was going to get a 10/10 and then suddenly instead of making it a full priced game they decided to charge $70 for it it would likely get a reduced score.

Let me not get off topic, who ever said lair doesnt have online doesnt have there facts straight, according to sony they delayed the game becuase they found an online gltich, if you see gamespot give the game an 8 or anything higher, then egm is biased.

mM
twesterm said:
Killzone3 said:
twesterm said:
Killzone3 said:
By the way 1up gave Shadowrun 8/10 even with a full price of 59.99

And its average is around 68%. What's your point?

They are bias thats the point.

Its ok i did not expect any better from vgc.

It could also just be a different reviewer that didn't factor in price. Gamespy gave Shadowrun a 2.0 where one of the gripes was the price. OMG BIASED!!!

They do in fact mention the price in their review for Shadowrun and perhaps that was the game that finally made them start factoring that in. They could have finally got tired of people charging too much for games and this is what they're doing about it. Personally, I'll be happy if they start sticking it to developers for charging too much and might just make me respect 1up a little bit more.

-edit-
My BBC was showing >_>

Are you that slow.  Warhawk is NOT full price the headset that comes with it you can get for $20 at amazon.

So simple math the PSN game by it self should cost $40

Killzone3 said:
twesterm said:
Killzone3 said:
twesterm said:
Killzone3 said:

It could also just be a different reviewer that didn't factor in price. Gamespy gave Shadowrun a 2.0 where one of the gripes was the price. OMG BIASED!!!

They do in fact mention the price in their review for Shadowrun and perhaps that was the game that finally made them start factoring that in. They could have finally got tired of people charging too much for games and this is what they're doing about it. Personally, I'll be happy if they start sticking it to developers for charging too much and might just make me respect 1up a little bit more.

-edit-
My BBC was showing >_>

Are you that slow.  Warhawk is NOT full price the headset that comes with it you can get for $20 at amazon.

The head set is normally at $59.99 so basicly your getting a free game when you buy it, warhawk would likely be $19.99 in the psn or $29.99

mM
Around the Network

1up gave Shadowrun a multiplayer only 60 dollar game 8.0 in their review.

Sam Kennedy posts in his blog that the price of the game effected its perception:

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8299344&publicUserId=4561231

If the same standards were being applied, then Shadowrun would have recieved a 9.0 review if it was priced cheaper.

The problem with this whole thing is where do you draw the line? Are Wii games like Brain Age being scored lower cause of their price?

Is every review now going to say 'this is a good value' versus 'this game is not worth the price of admission'?

Further, 1up mentions how this is key for downloadable games. But so far all downloadable games have been small affairs. Warhawk is the first big game being released as a downloadable game on any console.

What about in the future, when games with single and multiplayer are released as downloadable games (likely the Team Ico game will be), are they going to have to be cheaper automatically because they are downloadable?

The point is logical, but bringing a price debate into game reviews is not permissable if it is only applying to some games and not others. What about full games being released as downloadable games?

Surely Warhawk's situations' comparison to tiny downloadable titles for 5-10 dollars is illegitimate.

It doesn't show bias against something, it shows a flawed reasoning because you cannot bring up price for some games and not others in your scores. Beyond that, how do you regulate score drops with pricing? 1 point per 10 dollars?

You can see why this whole thing of 'I'll drop the score 1 point if the game is more than 30 dollars' is pretty arbitrary and a mess really.

Where do we go from here? In the future more and more bigger games are going to be downloadable. Especially Sony games, Wipeout HD, LittleBigPlanet and GT 5 Prologue are all going to be downloadable.

Are all these games going to have a price roof set by the reviewers to give them the scores they deserve because of quality?

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

leo-j said:
Killzone3 said:
twesterm said:
Killzone3 said:
twesterm said:
Killzone3 said:

-edit-
My BBC was showing >_>

Are you that slow. Warhawk is NOT full price the headset that comes with it you can get for $20 at amazon.

The head set is normally at $59.99 so basicly your getting a free game when you buy it, warhawk would likely be $19.99 in the psn or $29.99

Headset alone costs Price: $21.88

Killzone3 said:
twesterm said:
Killzone3 said:
twesterm said:
Killzone3 said:

-edit-
My BBC was showing >_>

Are you that slow. Warhawk is NOT full price the headset that comes with it you can get for $20 at amazon.

I actually know nothing about the game (and don't really care to) other than you said it costs $60 and comes with a headset. I was simply assuming it was a game like Shadowrun with only a limited amount of single player and multiplayer content and not something that was worth $60.

-edit-
And  $60 is full price, even with the  accessory. If they don't offer a version without the headset, then that's just rediculous.  Since you're saying it's a PSN game, then I'm assuming it can be downloaded and then I do have to wonder what all the fuss is about.  Otherwise, there should be no reason to pay $60 for a PSN game.  If people really want a headset, they either already have one or can just as easily get one elsewhere and probably for cheaper.

leo-j said:
Kasz216 said:
leo-j said:

Pretty much.  If Mario was going to get a 10/10 and then suddenly instead of making it a full priced game they decided to charge $70 for it it would likely get a reduced score.

Let me not get off topic, who ever said lair doesnt have online doesnt have there facts straight, according to sony they delayed the game becuase they found an online gltich, if you see gamespot give the game an 8 or anything higher, then egm is biased.

I thought that they were having problems with Online achievement sharing and stuff like that.  Not actual online play.  Either way online play isn't needed to be considered "full retail".  Online play doesn't make sense for some genres like Platformers.  I mean could you imagine online play for a Mario platformer game?  What would that even be?  Who can jump on who's head first?  Or for a Final Fantasy?  I mean, what would that even be?  Having your party battle your opponents party?  That'd be kinda stupid and likely end up like how i hear pokemon online battling is.  Not fun because everyone has maxed out super optimized pokemon.

Killzone3 said:

First, drop the insults, or you know what happens.

Second, no. A copy that comes in a box, with pretty box art, a printed manual, and one I can resell, is worth more than a download. Even if the box is a bundle, even if the download is convenient.

Third, maybe people find it expensive at $60 too. I, for one, am all for reviewers using their power to keep game's prices under control - cost considerations should be part of every review. E.g., RE Wii should have gotten a 7 instead of a 9 all over Europe for costing €50 instead of €30.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.