By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Miyamoto doesn't like Haze's drug focus.

Automatically uncreative no. There are some mature games that are creative. However there are a great many that just mail it in because they can go over the top with gore. I like plenty of violent games. But plenty of them are crap. I feel much more hesitant buying a mature game without playing it first instore, demo or getting friends opinions because of it.

A mature game isn't any better then a game without extreme violence or any worse. The Gameplay is what will decide that. I also don't see the Wii not getting mature games either, so i don't know where that's coming from. Nintendo isn't making any super gorey games... but why would they? Having Nintendo creators make the next Manhunt would be like having the Manhunt creators make the next Mario Brothers game.

Mario games wouldn't be any better if when mario jumped on a turtle his guts would pop out is my general point.

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Killzone3 said:
scorptile said:
Killzone3 said:
Kasz216 said:
Killzone3 said:

Lack creativeness, really tell me whats so creative about yet another Mario ?

and another boring killzone game is creative?? sorry but you just failed.

Yahh same thing, 50th mario or 3rd killzone.

Third Killzone yet another generic FPS, SPM with new gameplay elements

SPM wins creativity 

Joke post?

If you call the 50th mario creative for adding a few new gameplay elements and the 2nd killzone generic for adding a few new gameplay elements then you are either a liar or a fanboy.

How often is it that sequels are creative in any game? Almost never. That's why it's called a sequel.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

ckmlb said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Killzone3 said:
scorptile said:
Killzone3 said:
Kasz216 said:
Killzone3 said:

SPM wins creativity 

Joke post?

If you call the 50th mario creative for adding a few new gameplay elements and the 2nd killzone generic for adding a few new gameplay elements then you are either a liar or a fanboy.

How often is it that sequels are creative in any game? Almost never. That's why it's called a sequel.

Nintendo sequals are often inventive and fresh (there are exceptions like Mario party), but SMB games are rarely the same

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

lol oh god, Samurai Warriors on the Wii? I took a quick look at the couple of seconds of footage on IGN. . . Others may have their opinions, but I'm going to steer clear of that game.

IllegalPaladin said:
lol oh god, Samurai Warriors on the Wii? I took a quick look at the couple of seconds of footage on IGN. . . Others may have their opinions, but I'm going to steer clear of that game.

It looks just like all the Samraui Warriors/Dynasty Warriors games except first person as far as I can tell.  Of course that's the big problem with it.  It doesn't look any better graphically then a PS2 game.  For me it's more about the history, but the gameplay looks fine to me, assuming that it works more like a Samurai Warriors games unlike the gameplay demo where everyone dies in one hit. 

I think the video looks worse as well just because there is no sound.  Those games tend to have some really good soundtracks.

Around the Network

I disagree about the soundtracks, but that's just a preference. History it may have, but I just find that the games get repetitive and I'm tired of playing the same thing again and again in those games. I haven't played the Samurai Warriors games, but I've played multiple Dynasty Warriors ones. I like hack'n slash stuff (though it will get repetitive after a couple of characters), but that series seems kind of similar to Madden.

It may be in first person, but I'm not finding that much of a reason to be excited for it, but obviously that's just my opinion.

I don't understand why this thread exists...

Miyamoto is one of the best developers out there...whether you're a Sony fanboy or not, it's not your place to say "Miyamoto needs to make violent Mature rated videogames." He does what he does best...and that is make awesome platformers, arcade sports titles, whatever...almost all the games he makes are truly fun, and that's why they sell millions upon tens of millions.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

I'll go ahead and respond to the original post. Yes, Miyamoto's / Nintendo's philosophy is to blame for the small number of M-rated titles on their previous consoles. But there is no lack of "mature" titles for their previous consoles, as people who are actually mature can explain to you.

ckmlb said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Killzone3 said:
scorptile said:
Killzone3 said:
Kasz216 said:
Killzone3 said:

SPM wins creativity 

Joke post?

Keyword is almost, killzone 2 might be an exception, to your statement.

mM
ckmlb said:

I have no problem with what he said but I have a problem with the usual BS from people on here about how violent games are automatically less creative and only selling cause of the violence in them.

Please stop talking nonsense and go look up how many great games there are that are considered the best around creatively and in originality and are violent.

Like it or not, GTA III was more creative than most of what Nintendo made last generation, if not all.

Crapping on games just because they are violent is the same as crapping on games and calling them 'kiddie' just because they aren't violent.

This is the other side of the coin, and Nintendo fans go with this all the time even though the complain about fan boys calling Nintendo games kiddie, they call violent games stupid and uncreative and mindless....

Edit: If you have a PC or a 360, go buy Bioshock or rent it later this month and play a game that is both very violent and one of the most creative games I've seen. You probably do have a gamecube or a Wii so go buy Killer 7 or the new No More Heroes and see how violence and creativity can go hand in hand.

This whole idea about violence and sex selling products as some sort of bad side effect of consumerist society and the negative side of games is pretty silly when throughout time man has been driven by both subjects in all his endeavors. Most works of art and music have violence and/or sex as some if not all the inspiration.

Cut out the puritanical nonsense about how games should be all clean and shiny, games should be of all kinds and flavors. Leaving violence out of games makes them even less serious because you are leaving out one of the key things that drives humanity. Same reason why there should be more sexual topics in games, because 'cleaning' them of this is pretty stupid when this is one of the most important topics in human life.

Asking games, movies, or music for less violence and sex is equal to the people who persecuted artists and writers and thinkers of old because their topics were taboo.

Exactly! I completely agree with almost everything you wrote here. A game having adult appeal has nothing to do with it's rating. A game rated E and a game rated M both have equal opportunities to show mature themes. Saying all E rated games are mature is stupid (go play Hannah Montana and come back and say that), but conversely, to claim all M rated games are mature (in the classical sense of the word, rather than the ESRB rating) is just as stupid.

Examples of Mature, and violent games:

Killer 7; had a lot of creativity and some mature political themes. It was not a game for kids, despite being gorey. Most teens would have gotten bored with it (or not understand it).

Bioshock; is another perfect example of a violent but mature game. It has dark themes of morality that are far above what the standard teenager looking for mindless killing will be able to tolerate.

Metroid Prime; this isn't a game for the simple minded. The puzzles and themes are again, far too complex for some teen looking for a simple violent shooter.

However, a game that has an E rating can appeal to adults too. For example: Wii Sports, Viva Pinata, and Mario. These are games that anyone can play, and that's what Miyamoto appreciates. He wants games that appeal to adults and children, not one or the other exclussively, and I believe in this respect he has been largely successful. If anyone really thinks Mario Galaxy is just a kids game, I pity them.