By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Miyamoto doesn't like Haze's drug focus.

ion-storm said:
Correct me if i'm wrong. But do you not kill hundreds of things in Zelda and Mario games?

A Sword or fireball, but you know.

Around the Network

What Maverick said pretty much covers it. All the most of the redid Mario games actually end up adding a lot from the games before it aside from Mario Brothers 2 (Lost Levels) and Super Mario World. (Yoshi was the biggest add there. Took away the invetory of Mario 3.)

The Mario "off" franchises do a lot to spice up and change around the normal versions of that kind of video game Mario Kart, look how many people made ripoff kart games!, Mario Strikers, spices up soccer etc..

Mario Party's don't add much except changing the minigames but it's not like you can do much to the intereactive boardgame-minigame market.

"Mr Mario wasn't too keen on all the drugs and death."

Is he keen on all the drugs and death in Mario and Zelda games?

---

I wonder if on some movie forum, there are Disney fanboys making similar rationalizations:

"Walt Disney doesn't need to resort to violence, death, sex, drugs, and foul language to make art! Cinderella and The Little Mermaid and REAL art. Movies like Taxi Driver, The Godfather, A Clockwork Orange, etc. are just for high school kids who think mature = cool."

Absinthe Drinker, Rape of the Sabine Women, Death of Marat.... but where is all that great artwork that consists of cartoonish images of plumbers flying around in bee suits and feminine prepubescent elves in green Robin Hood outfits?

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

stof said:
The topic is fine, as it exposes Miyamoto for the hypocrite that he is!

I mean how many soldiers has link slaughtered on hid mushroom potion induced high?
And don't even get me started on Samus, mowing down space pirates while hopped up on "metroids"

:)

God you're right. Killzone3 has opened our eyes to a greater truth. Go peddle your "Super Shrooms" and edicts of "Triforce justice" somewhere else Miyamoto! I'm not down with that Granola man!

Proud Owner Of: Wii, DS, PSP, Xbox 360 (Brother owns PS3 & PS2)

Things that have changed since the last Generation of Gaming:

- Nintendo has shown us you can have the best selling console of all time with virtually no games for it.

- Graphics suddenly matter to Sony fans but Reverse Compatibility and Dual shock oddly enough don’t.

- Kiddy Crap is trendy with Hardcore gamers now that it’s no longer Nintendo’s “thing” (Viva Piñata, Little Big Planet, Banjo Kazooie 3, LBP)

- Third Party Developers are now essentially the equivalent of Video Game street pimps.

- Gimmicks are no longer fads (Wii-mote)... Well, not all Gimmicks (PS-Eye)

Miyamoto doesn't needs drugs to fly.

He just uses mushrooms and a cap ;)

Around the Network
fazz said:

What? Is that what you kids call it these days, "flying". Yeah buddy, you can keep your shrooms to yourself and "cap"-off when ever you need a fix, but I'm high on life and don't need this crap.

Proud Owner Of: Wii, DS, PSP, Xbox 360 (Brother owns PS3 & PS2)

Things that have changed since the last Generation of Gaming:

- Nintendo has shown us you can have the best selling console of all time with virtually no games for it.

- Graphics suddenly matter to Sony fans but Reverse Compatibility and Dual shock oddly enough don’t.

- Kiddy Crap is trendy with Hardcore gamers now that it’s no longer Nintendo’s “thing” (Viva Piñata, Little Big Planet, Banjo Kazooie 3, LBP)

- Third Party Developers are now essentially the equivalent of Video Game street pimps.

- Gimmicks are no longer fads (Wii-mote)... Well, not all Gimmicks (PS-Eye)

Maverick Hunter Z said:
fazz said:

What? Is that what you kids call it these days, "flying". Yeah buddy, you can keep your shrooms to yourself and "cap"-off when ever you need a fix, but I'm high on life and don't need this crap.

No..he aint a kid

mM
leo-j said:
Maverick Hunter Z said:
fazz said:

No..he aint a kid

He's 22, so I'm a kid for him  

People say you kill in Zelda/Samus but it's a cartoon like violence where the enemies dissapear in puffs of smoke or light or whatnot. Also you are killing monsters. You never hunt down people. Heck even Gannondorf is only killable in the series after he turns into the pig like Ganon.

Compare that to games like GOW where instead of monsters dissapearing or simply dying, you see there bones fly out and gore is everywhere. Blood hits the scream and you hear the shrieks of the dying. Now play Killzone or GTA where your goal is to go out and kill other humans.

Say what you want about the effects of violent video games on school shootings. But the fact is, no one plays Zelda and then feels the need to kill somebody with a sword. No one plays Metroid and then feels the need to shoot people. Nintendo makes it's games graphically non violent (no rib cages flying out and people moaning as they die slowly holding their intestines) and they put them in alternate universes so vastly different that no one would ever even think violent thoughts relating to real life situations.

The same can't be said for games like GTA. If a kid is depressed and hates life, then plays GTA and enjoys the thrill of shooting real people with a gun that is identical to the one his dad has in his closet... things could get ugly. Again if this same kid played Metroid there is practically no chance he will relate shooting aliens with an arm cannon into killing schoolmates with a Glock

eab said:
People say you kill in Zelda/Samus but it's a cartoon like violence where the enemies dissapear in puffs of smoke or light or whatnot. Also you are killing monsters. You never hunt down people. Heck even Gannondorf is only killable in the series after he turns into the pig like Ganon.

Compare that to games like GOW where instead of monsters dissapearing or simply dying, you see there bones fly out and gore is everywhere. Blood hits the scream and you hear the shrieks of the dying. Now play Killzone or GTA where your goal is to go out and kill other humans.

Say what you want about the effects of violent video games on school shootings. But the fact is, no one plays Zelda and then feels the need to kill somebody with a sword. No one plays Metroid and then feels the need to shoot people. Nintendo makes it's games graphically non violent (no rib cages flying out and people moaning as they die slowly holding their intestines) and they put them in alternate universes so vastly different that no one would ever even think violent thoughts relating to real life situations.

The same can't be said for games like GTA. If a kid is depressed and hates life, then plays GTA and enjoys the thrill of shooting real people with a gun that is identical to the one his dad has in his closet... things could get ugly. Again if this same kid played Metroid there is practically no chance he will relate shooting aliens with an arm cannon into killing schoolmates with a Glock

When do you have to kill humans in killzone? hehe, your supposed to kill helghask which were human,but no more. Your actually proving the statement that nintendo doesnt focus in the mature community, if they dont want blood or killing humans on there system, then they dont want to make mature or teenage games. You wouldnt see games like heavenly sword becuase you kill humans. This is why people say the wii is more for a younger audience. It doesnt offer a wide variaty of games like the ps2 did before it.

mM