By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Miyamoto doesn't like Haze's drug focus.

eab said:
Say what you want about the effects of violent video games on school shootings. But the fact is, no one plays Zelda and then feels the need to kill somebody with a sword. No one plays Metroid and then feels the need to shoot people. Nintendo makes it's games graphically non violent (no rib cages flying out and people moaning as they die slowly holding their intestines) and they put them in alternate universes so vastly different that no one would ever even think violent thoughts relating to real life situations.

The same can't be said for games like GTA. If a kid is depressed and hates life, then plays GTA and enjoys the thrill of shooting real people with a gun that is identical to the one his dad has in his closet... things could get ugly. Again if this same kid played Metroid there is practically no chance he will relate shooting aliens with an arm cannon into killing schoolmates with a Glock

I dont know about you, but, I dont think I know of any game with such graphical gore as what you described...

And seriously, violent games don't cause violence, It might actually help kids cope with their anger by acting it out and expressing it in the game instead of in the real world...

Around the Network

I have no problem with what he said but I have a problem with the usual BS from people on here about how violent games are automatically less creative and only selling cause of the violence in them.

Please stop talking nonsense and go look up how many great games there are that are considered the best around creatively and in originality and are violent.

Like it or not, GTA III was more creative than most of what Nintendo made last generation, if not all.

Crapping on games just because they are violent is the same as crapping on games and calling them 'kiddie' just because they aren't violent.

This is the other side of the coin, and Nintendo fans go with this all the time even though the complain about fan boys calling Nintendo games kiddie, they call violent games stupid and uncreative and mindless....

Edit: If you have a PC or a 360, go buy Bioshock or rent it later this month and play a game that is both very violent and one of the most creative games I've seen. You probably do have a gamecube or a Wii so go buy Killer 7 or the new No More Heroes and see how violence and creativity can go hand in hand.

This whole idea about violence and sex selling products as some sort of bad side effect of consumerist society and the negative side of games is pretty silly when throughout time man has been driven by both subjects in all his endeavors. Most works of art and music have violence and/or sex as some if not all the inspiration.

Cut out the puritanical nonsense about how games should be all clean and shiny, games should be of all kinds and flavors. Leaving violence out of games makes them even less serious because you are leaving out one of the key things that drives humanity. Same reason why there should be more sexual topics in games, because 'cleaning' them of this is pretty stupid when this is one of the most important topics in human life.

Asking games, movies, or music for less violence and sex is equal to the people who persecuted artists and writers and thinkers of old because their topics were taboo.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

eab you sound like jack thomson, if you really think video games are causing school shootings then I feel sorry for you.

Typical for parents and society to blame a scapegoat like video games instead of themselves for their problems. How sad.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

GTA3 may have been creative, but GTASA, GTAVC, GTALCS and even GTA4 are almost identical in thier basic concepts.
To say Mario Galaxy is just another mario game is incredibly ignorant, in the last 2 or 3 iterations miyamoto has broken the mould for the 3D platform genre, and the latest shows no signs of being anything less than unique.
You could say Sunshine wasnt upto that accolade, but he was trying something new, it just happened that that wasnt working, it was still a decent game overall.

ckmlb said:
eab you sound like jack thomson, if you really think video games are causing school shootings then I feel sorry for you.

Typical for parents and society to blame a scapegoat like video games instead of themselves for their problems. How sad.

I definitly agree with that.  If you don't want your kids to play violent video games.  Then you know what.  Don't buy it for them.  If they buy it themselves.  Take it away from them when they play it.  If they play it at their friends house, talk to their parents about what games they own, and if they have games you object to then don't let him go over there.  If he still does punish him.

If you don't have time for this?  Don't have kids.  Don't use the government as a babysitter.  Or just teach your kid the difference between reality and fantasy.

Around the Network

Yeah, Miyamoto didn't seem too pleased while watching Haze...

Props to him though...he's no hypocrite.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Call me silly, but in FPS I feel more comfortable killing humans than killing monsters... strange isn't it?

eab said:

Say what you want about the effects of violent video games on school shootings. But the fact is, no one plays Zelda and then feels the need to kill somebody with a sword. No one plays Metroid and then feels the need to shoot people. Nintendo makes it's games graphically non violent (no rib cages flying out and people moaning as they die slowly holding their intestines) and they put them in alternate universes so vastly different that no one would ever even think violent thoughts relating to real life situations.

Year right...  Millions of people have played the Grand Theft Auto series, Doom series, and other such games and it didn't make them kill anyone yet an extremely small percentage (maybe 1 in a million?) who played them (and are messed up in real life) go on to kill other people and we're supposed to believe that videogames are to blame?  What about those people that have killed others in cases of road rage?  Are we supposed to ban automobiles because 1 in a million people (or more) can't control their temper?  There's nobody to blame in these cases except the people who committed the actual acts and nobody should be making excuses or blame others for it. 

Killzone3 said:
scorptile said:
Killzone3 said:
Kasz216 said:
Killzone3 said:

http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-56299.aspx

So hes to blame for nintendos lack of mature games.

Lack of Nintedo first party mature games. But considering how much 3rd partys flock to it who cares? Nintendos got enougn mature games coming.

Besides most "mature" titles tend to lack a lot of creativeness and generally are a lost less mature then games that arn't rated mature.

Lack creativeness, really tell me whats so creative about yet another Mario ?

and another boring killzone game is creative?? sorry but you just failed.

Yahh same thing, 50th mario or 3rd killzone.

Third Killzone yet another generic FPS, SPM with new gameplay elements

SPM wins creativity 

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

leo-j said:
eab said:
People say you kill in Zelda/Samus but it's a cartoon like violence where the enemies dissapear in puffs of smoke or light or whatnot. Also you are killing monsters. You never hunt down people. Heck even Gannondorf is only killable in the series after he turns into the pig like Ganon.

Compare that to games like GOW where instead of monsters dissapearing or simply dying, you see there bones fly out and gore is everywhere. Blood hits the scream and you hear the shrieks of the dying. Now play Killzone or GTA where your goal is to go out and kill other humans.

The same can't be said for games like GTA. If a kid is depressed and hates life, then plays GTA and enjoys the thrill of shooting real people with a gun that is identical to the one his dad has in his closet... things could get ugly. Again if this same kid played Metroid there is practically no chance he will relate shooting aliens with an arm cannon into killing schoolmates with a Glock

When do you have to kill humans in killzone? hehe, your supposed to kill helghask which were human,but no more. Your actually proving the statement that nintendo doesnt focus in the mature community, if they dont want blood or killing humans on there system, then they dont want to make mature or teenage games. You wouldnt see games like heavenly sword becuase you kill humans. This is why people say the wii is more for a younger audience. It doesnt offer a wide variaty of games like the ps2 did before it.

There are plenty of games coming out for the Wii that will involve killing humans.  For one i'm interested in the Samurai Warriors game for the Wii.  Will be neat taking Oda Nobunaga and cutting down a bunch of people with sword attacks that look like they are going to work how Red steel should have worked.  Not to mention gunning down some enemy troops with Maigoichi.

Also I think your mistaking "mature" games with games that are for adults.  There is a difference there are plenty of games that arn't "mature" that arn't for kids either.