By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Miyamoto doesn't like Haze's drug focus.

naznatips said:
ckmlb said:

I have no problem with what he said but I have a problem with the usual BS from people on here about how violent games are automatically less creative and only selling cause of the violence in them.

Please stop talking nonsense and go look up how many great games there are that are considered the best around creatively and in originality and are violent.

Like it or not, GTA III was more creative than most of what Nintendo made last generation, if not all.

Crapping on games just because they are violent is the same as crapping on games and calling them 'kiddie' just because they aren't violent.

This is the other side of the coin, and Nintendo fans go with this all the time even though the complain about fan boys calling Nintendo games kiddie, they call violent games stupid and uncreative and mindless....

Edit: If you have a PC or a 360, go buy Bioshock or rent it later this month and play a game that is both very violent and one of the most creative games I've seen. You probably do have a gamecube or a Wii so go buy Killer 7 or the new No More Heroes and see how violence and creativity can go hand in hand.

This whole idea about violence and sex selling products as some sort of bad side effect of consumerist society and the negative side of games is pretty silly when throughout time man has been driven by both subjects in all his endeavors. Most works of art and music have violence and/or sex as some if not all the inspiration.

Cut out the puritanical nonsense about how games should be all clean and shiny, games should be of all kinds and flavors. Leaving violence out of games makes them even less serious because you are leaving out one of the key things that drives humanity. Same reason why there should be more sexual topics in games, because 'cleaning' them of this is pretty stupid when this is one of the most important topics in human life.

Asking games, movies, or music for less violence and sex is equal to the people who persecuted artists and writers and thinkers of old because their topics were taboo.

Exactly! I completely agree with almost everything you wrote here. A game having adult appeal has nothing to do with it's rating. A game rated E and a game rated M both have equal opportunities to show mature themes. Saying all E rated games are mature is stupid (go play Hannah Montana and come back and say that), but conversely, to claim all M rated games are mature (in the classical sense of the word, rather than the ESRB rating) is just as stupid.

Examples of Mature, and violent games:

Killer 7; had a lot of creativity and some mature political themes. It was not a game for kids, despite being gorey. Most teens would have gotten bored with it (or not understood it).

Bioshock; is another perfect example of a violent but mature game. It has dark themes of morality that are far above what the standard teenager looking for mindless killing will be able to tolerate.

Metroid Prime; this isn't a game for the simple minded. The puzzles and themes are again, far too complex for some teen looking for a simple violent shooter.

However, a game that has an E rating can appeal to adults too. For example: Wii Sports, Viva Pinata, Zelda, and Mario. These are games that anyone can play, and that's what Miyamoto appreciates. He wants games that appeal to adults and children, not one or the other exclussively, and I believe in this respect he has been largely successful. If anyone really things Mario Galaxy is just a kids game, I pity them.

I largely agree with both of you, but I think this is about tendencies. Generalities.

I generally believe that most violence in video games is used as a crutch to be cool. Mortal Kombat started it, and most games are using it in the same fashion today. Keep in mind that this is most -- which is to say, there are counter examples.

The easiest parallel would be movies. Violence in movies has a bell curve; you don't watch it much when you're young (because you aren't allowed to), you watch a ton of it when you're a teenager (the "fascination with the abomination," as Joseph Conrad put it), and then interest in violence tends to wane or even become an aversion as one gets older. Again, generally speaking. Because there are counter examples; some (serious) war films and dramas do contain violence, although it's usually displayed in a very serious manner.

Blowing away hundreds of aliens with a laser or people with an uzzi in the course of a twenty hour game... is not serious. It's banal and bourgeois.

So my stand would be this: violent games tend to be aimed largely at the 14-25 year old male demographic. Non-violent games can be aimed at everyone else: boys, girls, adults, or the elderly. Thus, one should note that non-violence can be both kiddie or adult-ish or both; one should also note that these are just tendencies, and shouldn't be taken as hard-and-fast rules.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

Good for nintendo! That is why i bought a wii for my kids (and a ds lite each!) and i keep the 360 for me. I know nintendo will put out a lot of good games for kids that aren't overly gruesome or nasty.

IllegalPaladin said:
I disagree about the soundtracks, but that's just a preference. History it may have, but I just find that the games get repetitive and I'm tired of playing the same thing again and again in those games. I haven't played the Samurai Warriors games, but I've played multiple Dynasty Warriors ones. I like hack'n slash stuff (though it will get repetitive after a couple of characters), but that series seems kind of similar to Madden.

It may be in first person, but I'm not finding that much of a reason to be excited for it, but obviously that's just my opinion.

Ah i get you.  Only Dynasty Warriors i've played is 5 and it's add ons of Legends and Empires.  Only Samruai Warriors i've played is the original.  So I still have a while before i get sick of it.  I'm hoping the first person view will add something more to it in the end but who knows.

Wow, even Ckmlb is getting in on the action. "50th Mario" huh? You sure Killzone3 isn't just another screen name you use to post under to avoid sullying your mod handle? Or is adopting the language of a Sony troll just something you do as an unbiased owner of all three consoles?

Listen kids, this isn't a matter of blood & gore vs parental values. It's a simple matter that Miyamoto is entitled to his opinion and is for the most part right. There is nothing wrong with gory games but time and time again the "mature" factor is undoubtedly used as a crutch for lazy developers and games with lack of innovation.

Games like Super Mario Galaxy are innovation based. Whether just as fun or not, the fact remains the Mario franchise is a franchise that reinvents itself everytime almost like a pheonix reborn from its own ashes where as FPS games by and large just put on a different skin and some minor adjustments.

The Graphics Whores in this thread just seem to be comming to the aid of this current trend in gaming where you make as many mediocre mature games as possible under one of three settings (Urban/Sci-Fi/Fantasy) and either make it a car steeling sim, slasher action adventure or an FPS. Its a cash-in strategy where the same game is virtually being rehashed over and over, and you fall for it every time buying into the hype alone because the game just looks so pretty or has this undeniable "wow" factor to it. You're sheep and you don't even know it using a child's logic of graphics and gore alone make you a big boy gamer.

As much as you want to deny it, you can't hide the fact that the PS3 is just shoveling out FPS after FPS to disrupt the 360's market and steel their thunder by trying to appeal to the bad boy crowd that is mostly defined by tasteless adolescant males who value excitement over fun. NEWS FLASH! This isn't Sony's intended ideal of the future of gaming, this is what they're left with when all their third party support jumps ship. ALL THEY HAVE LEFT TO WOW YOU WITH NOW ARE THEIR FLASHY DISRUPTION TACTIC GAMES THAT WERE ONLY EVER MEANT TO BE SUPPLEMENTARY TO THE GAMES THEY'RE FOR THE MOST PART NOT GOING TO BE GETTING!

Don't get me wrong though, MS is similaraly doing the same with mediocre games like Bullet Witch and Call of the Juaro which act as little more than speed bumps in the history of gaming. But no MS fan has ever tried to convince you that every crappy 360 game was going to be the measure by which all gamers after would be measured like Sony Fans do now. The key difference is that Sony is putting more money and a lot more hype into its games trying to make you think you're buying the best game ever made everytime where as MS just keeps trucking doing their own thing, and the behavior is pretty accurately reflected in most fans..

Stop trying to convince yourselves that "mature" themed games in this current trend are intended to appeal to anyone other than adolescant boys so stop attacking anyone (Nintendo) who tries to save this stagnant market driven by games which sell themselves on excitement value and graphics, not the fun.

ripper said:
Good for nintendo! That is why i bought a wii for my kids (and a ds lite each!) and i keep the 360 for me. I know nintendo will put out a lot of good games for kids that aren't overly gruesome or nasty.

.... Can I get a side of condiscention with that sarcasm? 

Proud Owner Of: Wii, DS, PSP, Xbox 360 (Brother owns PS3 & PS2)

Things that have changed since the last Generation of Gaming:

- Nintendo has shown us you can have the best selling console of all time with virtually no games for it.

- Graphics suddenly matter to Sony fans but Reverse Compatibility and Dual shock oddly enough don’t.

- Kiddy Crap is trendy with Hardcore gamers now that it’s no longer Nintendo’s “thing” (Viva Piñata, Little Big Planet, Banjo Kazooie 3, LBP)

- Third Party Developers are now essentially the equivalent of Video Game street pimps.

- Gimmicks are no longer fads (Wii-mote)... Well, not all Gimmicks (PS-Eye)

Killzone3 said:

http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-56299.aspx

So hes to blame for nintendos lack of mature games.

Considering this thread has pointed out a million things already, I will just state this:

Drugs do not equal mature games.

Around the Network

Well, things are probably going to get interesting in this thread because of these recent rants. . .

DonWii, what about the addictiveness that is the game themselves? Heh, Jack Thompson should be all over that one.

Well ,I dont like how Mario has ingested for years hallucinogic mushrooms to get his powers and "grow bigger " ....

Just kidding ....

Maverick Hunter:

I actually was being serious! I have 3 kids and one on the way. They love all the cheesy wii games. They are in the play room right now playing sonic and the rings or whatever its called. Tons of parents buy the wii and ds because they trust ninendo more than sony or ms for kid content. I myself like the violent content, but not for my little ones.

Wow I took some heat back there. Guys I wasn't jumping on the "playing GTA will make you kill people" bandwagon. I'm just saying it would have a greater chance of inducing violent thoughts than a game like Zelda.

Earlier in the thread people were saying "GTA is no less violent than Zelda/Metroid" and I was just pointing out that GTA is probably more likely to have influenced those mentally unstable kids who end up shooting people.

Once again, not saying playing GTA makes killers. Just saying that while GTA has a controversial past, there is no way in hell Zelda would make someone go out and stab people.

There is a study being done by someone trying to prove that playing violent games does not make you a violent person. Unfortunately he's had a bit of a setback in his research because the study of brain activity while people are playing violent video games has shown that it does cause a lot of activity in the area that applies to agression & violence. Now he has to prove that it's not directly an influence to acting out these agressions.

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.