By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
WiiStation360 said:
vlad321 said:
Godot said:
Wow! What a topic. On one side, you have the rich self-righteous western kids (I call them rich even if they work at Wal-Mart) telling to the poor third world persons that if they pirate, they're making the big American/Japanese corporations lose money and some software engineers, 3d artists, etc. will lose their job.

Piracy in third world countries is as high as 90% and it's not surprising. They don't do the same maths that you do in America. They can't simply decide to stop eating at Subway or not go see a movie to spare money. They're poor. Poorer than we will ever be.

And if you think, they don't deserve to get for free what we buy for 50-60$, you should not forget that we're basically paying them nothing for pretty much every products that are made in a third world country.

Thank you for speaking some sense, especially the last part, VERY good point. The US pays them cents an hour to produce products which are immidiately sold at ridiculous prices right back to the same people that produced them. Maybe if companies were paying the 3rd world equal money that they would in the US then they wouldn't pirate as much? Just a thought.

What I do not understand, is how poor people in 3rd world countries can afford to by a PS3 or 360 in the first place?  If they are poor, where are they getting the money to buy a console?

I thought we went over this, the piracy does not pertain just to the current gen at all, most probably are still pirating PS2 games or even PS1 games. Also PCs dominate less developed countries (since they don't have money they can actually build PCs for themselves, cheaply, especially PCs with 2 or 3 year old specs) and that's what gets pirated the most.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network
WiiStation360 said:
vlad321 said:
Godot said:
Wow! What a topic. On one side, you have the rich self-righteous western kids (I call them rich even if they work at Wal-Mart) telling to the poor third world persons that if they pirate, they're making the big American/Japanese corporations lose money and some software engineers, 3d artists, etc. will lose their job.

Piracy in third world countries is as high as 90% and it's not surprising. They don't do the same maths that you do in America. They can't simply decide to stop eating at Subway or not go see a movie to spare money. They're poor. Poorer than we will ever be.

And if you think, they don't deserve to get for free what we buy for 50-60$, you should not forget that we're basically paying them nothing for pretty much every products that are made in a third world country.

Thank you for speaking some sense, especially the last part, VERY good point. The US pays them cents an hour to produce products which are immidiately sold at ridiculous prices right back to the same people that produced them. Maybe if companies were paying the 3rd world equal money that they would in the US then they wouldn't pirate as much? Just a thought.

What I do not understand, is how poor people in 3rd world countries can afford to by a PS3 or 360 in the first place?  If they are poor, where are they getting the money to buy a console?

Well, I'm not from a third-world country myself so I can only guess... My guess is that they economize their money over a long period of time and buy the console with another person. Maybe with members of their family or with friends. That may be why a lot of them actually use a system from a previous generation. For example, they may buy a Gamecube or a PS2.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

Hate it, always have and always will. If you don't have the money for games you shouldn't game at all. Its not like you would go out to a store and start stealing now would you? Same thing....

I'm not rich at all, but at least I buy my games "original". There's still the "second hand" market, or is that even too much to ask?

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

*~Onna76~* said:

Hate it, always have and always will. If you don't have the money for games you shouldn't game at all. Its not like you would go out to a store and start stealing now would you? Same thing....

I'm not rich at all, but at least I buy my games "original". There's still the "second hand" market, or is that even too much to ask?

No it's not the same thing. If I went and made physical copies of things in the store then it would be the same thing. If that was the case why the fuck should i give any money to the original maker if they didnt spend their resources or time and effort to make the copy? If you want to equate piracy with going into a store and stealing you atumatically lose. However I'm linient on this and I will say that it's like comparing apples to oranges.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

I hate the "3rd world" term, it's an outdated cold war term when the 1st world and the 2nd world fought for the dominance in all the world...

But is true, developing countries are incredibly unfair with prices vs salaries, and foreign products are ridiculously priced because of taxes...

Now, i have to travel a lot to the US or EU, but most of the time i live in Panama, a country that has the dollar, and had the Panama Canal Zone (where John McCain was born), because of the commercial advantages of this country, foreign stuff is not ridiculously priced as in countries like Brazil (my brazilian friends when they travel here for business, they go nuts buying on our stores, because the overweight travel cost is still cheaper than buying those things in their country)... and importing something from web pages is really cheap...

So from the middle class up we don't have to pirate video games, but we still have a lot of poverty because of unfair salaries, so i don't blame them for pirating games, but one time i saw someone in my neighborhood with illegal copies of PS2 games, and this is a man that makes more money than me, that really got to my nerves...

Around the Network

hate it

i love it in a way and hate it in a way.....
hate when ppl pirate psp games but i love to p*r*te nin games
:)

my PSP says"hi to gba,n64,snes and gbc" :)

As a software developer, I personally don't have any problems with piracy. If your business model can't be sustained due to whatever reason, then you simply go out of business. Sure, this might affect the way things are done now, but the arts have survived for thousands of years without copyright, so why would they suddenly disappear if your product isn't artificially protected?

Funnily, out of all the places I've worked, I've seen more piracy between employees in companies that produce "Intellectual Property" (which include a software development company and a post production film company (computer graphics related)) than the companies that actual produce physical products. Though this might be more related to the fact that the "IP" companies I've worked for have a much younger employee age, probably in the late 20s.

That said, so far this year I've purchased 29 games. I have no problem supporting companies that I feel have delivered a decent product, however, if you're going to produce a product that infringes on *my* copy rights (e.g. fair use) with rubbish like DRM, then why should I respect your copy rights.

vlad321 said:
*~Onna76~* said:

No it's not the same thing. If I went and made physical copies of things in the store then it would be the same thing. If that was the case why the fuck should i give any money to the original maker if they didnt spend their resources or time and effort to make the copy? If you want to equate piracy with going into a store and stealing you atumatically lose. However I'm linient on this and I will say that it's like comparing apples to oranges.

Of course you can make physical copies, that's called counterfeit items. And why would you give money to the people who created the original thing ? Simply because if they didn't create it you couldn't have copied it, so you owe them something (which is called intellectual property).

kuraobi said:
@andersonalex : I totally agree. Intellectual Property is vanishing and more and more people think people who work with their mind don't deserve to be paid...

Go ahead guys, don't pay for the people who use all their skill and creativity to create games, movies, music... Then all you'll get is youtube as your unique TV channel, and flash player as your unique gaming platform. Wonderful.

They probably shouldn't be paid that way.  That's the real problem.  The buisness model doesn't fit the reality of the world.

So we make extra big brotherish laws to stop it.  In reality people should probably be paid upfront for a game being made.  Like it was in the old days before the big middle men started stepping in.

I would be happy if that would be the case and videogame makers had to switch their buisness model. (And i want to be one.)

I'm always for reality trumping buisness models.

When you get interventionists and protect someone because their buisness model doesn't work in the real world you get a bunch of worthless laws that screw up peoples rights.

Since it's not that way though, i don't think people should pirate...

however in reality people should be able to make a copy of whatever they want, whenever they can.  Be it book, rice krispy treat, car or Poem.

I mean if I copy a poem out of a friends book am i also infringing on someones intellectual property?  Intellectual property itself is kinda a scam if you ask me.  Developers should be paid upfront, or paid after demoing something they keep.