By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Not at all, piracy is my friend, when I need to download $300 Sega Saturn imports.

Bet - "PES 2009 (PS3) will sell (closer to) 150k first week in Japan" - Pooperscopper
"It will sell closer to 125k" - Me I agree.
ME = OWNED :(

End of '09 Predictions:

Wii: 78 million
X360: 35 million
PS3: 27 million

Around the Network
kuraobi said:
kcua_626 said:
andersonalex said:

It's amazing how few of you realize the damage this piracy stuff has done to your minds. You've fallen into the trap of believing that in some way you just DESERVE to have these things, simply because other people have them. You've been brainwashed. A hundred years ago, this attitude wasn't nearly as prevalent. What makes a worker in the US earning $500 a month working 8 hours a day 5days a week more DESERVING than a worker in the third world earning $50 a month working 10 hours a day 6 days a week?

I don't have the money to go out and buy video games, and thus I don't play games that cost money. I like them as much as the next person. But I've been able to separate want from need. There are lots of things in life I'd love to have. But not having them doesn't threaten my ability to survive or enjoy life. And it CERTAINLY doesn't make me willing to take away from the livelihood of others. It's not a matter of saying that I don't have the money and so I don't buy games. You have to understand the meaning of "simple wanting". Wanting a video game is different from desiring for a Ferrari.

You idiots who think these game developers are just sitting back getting rich need to spend a little time in the software industry. Most of these companies face pretty stiff survival obstacles that mean being able to provide for your family isn't a given. But the scariest thing in all of this is that many of you have wanted this so badly that you've completely subscribed to the cultural brainwashing that lets you justify stealing from other individuals. You love the fact that so many other people are doing it and justifying it in their minds, because it makes you feel less guilty and less responsible. But in the end, you absolutely know that you are putting your wants above the needs of others. The more you let yourself do that, the colder and less humane you become. You can't engage in that behavior and not have it affect your mind. And you, my friend, has to try living in a third world earning $50 a month working 60 hours a week. You have also been brainwashed that the multibillion corporations deserve everything they earn for what they do justifying $60 a pop for a game in every parts of the world.

Third world is not an excuse. Of course if you live in a third world country, there's a lot of stuff you can't buy, because they come from countries where people are paid much more for their work than in yours, because life is much more expensive in their country. There's still a solution, buy Indonesian games and consoles.

Please go live in a third world country for 1 month, please. Maybe then you'd stop with you naive elitist crap and bullshit. Just because you were born in the US doesn't make you more deserving of anything than people in other places. Game makers shoud be smart about this and start charging relative prices.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:

Please go live in a third world country for 1 month, please. Maybe then you'd stop with you naive elitist crap and bullshit. Just because you were born in the US doesn't make you more deserving of anything than people in other places. Game makers shoud be smart about this and start charging relative prices.

Agreed, having been to many third world countries (okay, 1 or 2), the price of real copies of video games is ridiculous. In the US$80 - 120 range, it's not like $50 is bad enough.

Bet - "PES 2009 (PS3) will sell (closer to) 150k first week in Japan" - Pooperscopper
"It will sell closer to 125k" - Me I agree.
ME = OWNED :(

End of '09 Predictions:

Wii: 78 million
X360: 35 million
PS3: 27 million

andersonalex said:

It's amazing how few of you realize the damage this piracy stuff has done to your minds. You've fallen into the trap of believing that in some way you just DESERVE to have these things, simply because other people have them. You've been brainwashed. A hundred years ago, this attitude wasn't nearly as prevalent.

I don't have the money to go out and buy video games, and thus I don't play games that cost money. I like them as much as the next person. But I've been able to separate want from need. There are lots of things in life I'd love to have. But not having them doesn't threaten my ability to survive or enjoy life. And it CERTAINLY doesn't make me willing to take away from the livelihood of others.

You idiots who think these game developers are just sitting back getting rich need to spend a little time in the software industry. Most of these companies face pretty stiff survival obstacles that mean being able to provide for your family isn't a given. But the scariest thing in all of this is that many of you have wanted this so badly that you've completely subscribed to the cultural brainwashing that lets you justify stealing from other individuals. You love the fact that so many other people are doing it and justifying it in their minds, because it makes you feel less guilty and less responsible. But in the end, you absolutely know that you are putting your wants above the needs of others. The more you let yourself do that, the colder and less humane you become. You can't engage in that behavior and not have it affect your mind.

You, my dear friend, have been brainwashed by capitalism. I'm not going to say that Piracy is good, that it doesn't hurt the industry or that it's everyone right to pirate. Which you seem to think I will.

"You've fallen into the trap of believing that in some way you just DESERVE to have these things..."
Why shouldn't I? Really, what's to say that some rich kid that inherited his money deserves his lifestyle better than I do? Capitalism, that's what.

"I don't have the money to go out and buy video games... "
You don't have the money to buy them. If you pirated them then, how would you be able to cheat the people that made them off profit?

"You idiots who think these game developers are just sitting back getting rich..."
I seriously doubt that there is anyone in this thread who thinks this is what happens. If they do, they are indeed idiots.

I try very, very hard to spend all my money every month. And I usually do. It's not that much money though, and it never covers all that I want to spend it on. I support the Videogame industry with my money. The TV-industry. The Manga-industry. I support the PC-industry. I support the broadband industry. I simply cannot give any more love to any of the copyright holders. I do what I can. When I finish my education and get a decent job I'll be able to spread more love.

I'm not saying it's right of me to pirate. It's illegal, for one. But reading the latest One Piece manga chapter online  does not give me a bad conscience since I have all 44 volumes currently released in swedish in my bookshelf as well as the latest 10 volumes in japanese, and I will buy every last one.

I can understand where you are coming from, but you need to realize that all is not black and white. Not even piracy. There are people with a different world-view than yours, different sets of rules to define reality. That does not necessarily mean that you are right and they are wrong. It does not mean that their morals are worth more than yours. The world looks very different depending on where you view it from.

Piracy shifts money away from the industry pirated. That's true. But those money go somewhere. They do not just dissappear. What one industry looses from piracy, another gains. The money might go to things like houses, food, healthproducs, savings, whatever. The same is true for stealing, with the exception that stealing makes someone lose money as well. With piracy, the wealth you gain from an extra video-game is not equal to the loss someone elses videogame.

It is my firm belief that every human on this planet deserve as high a livingstandard as can possibly be provided for them, given that that standard does not negatively effect someone else's. If thinking this makes me colder and less humane, so be it.

This is invisible text!

While I understand your position Kcua and Vlad, the situation goes deeper than being fair to people who can't afford games. With X amount of piracy, there is X amount of money lost in revenue for the publisher.

When the publisher makes lower profits, the less trickles down to the developer.

When the developer is living paycheck to paycheck from the publisher, they can't afford to have less money come to them in profits.

When this DOES happen from piracy, people lose their jobs. In extreme cases, entire studios close.

So at the end of the situation, the game you enjoyed so much, the one you pirated, may never have a sequel because the studio might be out of business due to money lost via piracy.

Since the big studios are putting out CRAP lately and only the small studios are bringing us new ideas in games, we as gamers cannot afford to lose these small studios.

Around the Network

I see nothing wrong with pirating games, music, movies or anything when you are poor. Also game prices are too high anyway. I don't care how good a game is, no game is worth more than £20. So as far as I am concerned piracy is fine. If you can afford to buy it then you should but if you can't then pirate away.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions

I hate it but I also hate game pricing.

For me its simple:

if you have the money to buy but don't simply to save that money to blow elsewhere in the full knowledge you're ripping of people trying to earn their money developing games for you to play - then I hate piracy and I'm really not interested in your justifications as they're meaningless. You just don't want to pay for what you can rip off.

if you're tight for money, young and love games - well, I'm not sure I wouldn't do the same thing, but you should buy where you can, particularly if you actually like the game you've ripped off, and aim to lose the habit as an adult

if you live somewhere poor, just have no funds, but can get enough access to the net to try and grab some release from the poverty around you - I can completely sympathize

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Hate it!

Killergran said:

"You've fallen into the trap of believing that in some way you just DESERVE to have these things..." 

Why shouldn't I? Really, what's to say that some rich kid that inherited his money deserves his lifestyle better than I do? Capitalism, that's what.

Piracy shifts money away from the industry pirated. That's true. But those money go somewhere. They do not just dissappear. What one industry looses from piracy, another gains. The money might go to things like houses, food, healthproducs, savings, whatever. The same is true for stealing, with the exception that stealing makes someone lose money as well. With piracy, the wealth you gain from an extra video-game is not equal to the loss someone elses videogame.

It is my firm belief that every human on this planet deserve as high a livingstandard as can possibly be provided for them, given that that standard does not negatively effect someone else's. If thinking this makes me colder and less humane, so be it.

Thing is you can't have any high living standard without other people working and making stuff for you. And people won't do anything for you if they don't get anything in return (ie: money). So if someone has more money than you, it's because he earned it at some point. Of course you can argue about people getting money more easily than they should, like with stocks or inherited, but that's not the point.

And of course the money goes somewhere else, but the developer doesn't get paid for his work.