By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

I loved it during the sixth generation back when I was a teen,(my dad somehow obtained a Modded PS2).

But now since I can get my own money, I don't care about pirating.

Around the Network
kuraobi said:
@andersonalex : I totally agree. Intellectual Property is vanishing and more and more people think people who work with their mind don't deserve to be paid...

Go ahead guys, don't pay for the people who use all their skill and creativity to create games, movies, music... Then all you'll get is youtube as your unique TV channel, and flash player as your unique gaming platform. Wonderful.

Pretty much. I work in a field that's been hurt by piracy and boy have things changed these years.

Mind you, the top tier guys are still making boatloads of money and they always will... it's always the little guy that get hits the most.

I just hate people justifying the whole thing like it's the XXIth century version of Robin Hood, robbing the rich etc etc. I just wish people were at least honest about it. Taking for free something that you should pay money for and no law prosecution; that's all there is to it.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

kuraobi said:

Third world is not an excuse. Of course if you live in a third world country, there's a lot of stuff you can't buy, because they come from countries where people are paid much more for their work than in yours, because life is much more expensive in their country. There's still a solution, buy Indonesian games and consoles.

Haha, I'm Indonesian, and I have an Indonesian PS2, and over 100+ Indonesian PS2 games from Indonesia. My parents couldn't find a decent job in the states (until they earned their Medical Degree) and piracy was our only choice.

indodude said:
kuraobi said:

Third world is not an excuse. Of course if you live in a third world country, there's a lot of stuff you can't buy, because they come from countries where people are paid much more for their work than in yours, because life is much more expensive in their country. There's still a solution, buy Indonesian games and consoles.

Haha, I'm Indonesian, and I have an Indonesian PS2, and over 100+ Indonesian PS2 games from Indonesia. My parents couldn't find a decent job in the states (until they earned their Medical Degree) and piracy was our only choice.

You did have other choices:
1) Buy fewer legal games.  (What did the 100+ Indonesian games cost you?)
2) Not buying the games at all.

I always pirate movies and music but for some reason pirating games would bother my conscience.

Around the Network
WiiStation360 said:
indodude said:
kuraobi said:

You did have other choices:
1) Buy fewer legal games.  (What did the 100+ Indonesian games cost you?)
2) Not buying the games at all.

I'm not the one you're asking the question, but I can answer from my experience, Indonesia should be similar to Argentina in that matter

I've done a quick recount on my cash spent in all my PS2 games, I have 7 that costed me 13 pesos, and around 40 that costed me 1,40 pesos. That amounts, more or less, to 150 pesos. I've seen a Greatest Hits version of Shadow of the Colossus selling here for 200 pesos. That means that with all my spending, I wouldn't have bought a single GH game, let alone a recently released one. You do the math

kuraobi said:
Killergran said:

"You've fallen into the trap of believing that in some way you just DESERVE to have these things..." 

Why shouldn't I? Really, what's to say that some rich kid that inherited his money deserves his lifestyle better than I do? Capitalism, that's what.

Piracy shifts money away from the industry pirated. That's true. But those money go somewhere. They do not just dissappear. What one industry looses from piracy, another gains. The money might go to things like houses, food, healthproducs, savings, whatever. The same is true for stealing, with the exception that stealing makes someone lose money as well. With piracy, the wealth you gain from an extra video-game is not equal to the loss someone elses videogame.

It is my firm belief that every human on this planet deserve as high a livingstandard as can possibly be provided for them, given that that standard does not negatively effect someone else's. If thinking this makes me colder and less humane, so be it.

Thing is you can't have any high living standard without other people working and making stuff for you. And people won't do anything for you if they don't get anything in return (ie: money). So if someone has more money than you, it's because he earned it at some point. Of course you can argue about people getting money more easily than they should, like with stocks or inherited, but that's not the point.

And of course the money goes somewhere else, but the developer doesn't get paid for his work.

This bolded part is simply not true (depending on what value you put into the word 'earn'). I'm not saying it cannot be true in some cases, but it's most definately more often false than true. Anyone who believes it is true is "brainwashed" by capitalism.

'I have more money than you and therefore I deserve a better lifestyle' is a first world capitalist excuse that is as stupid as they come. The world is unfair, and I can deal with that. Someone telling me that this is the way it should be is not something I can deal with.

And no. The developer doesn't get paid for his work. It's unfair. It's bad. Never said anything else, never thought anything else.

This is invisible text!

Wow! What a topic. On one side, you have the rich self-righteous western kids (I call them rich even if they work at Wal-Mart) telling to the poor third world persons that if they pirate, they're making the big American/Japanese corporations lose money and some software engineers, 3d artists, etc. will lose their job.

Piracy in third world countries is as high as 90% and it's not surprising. They don't do the same maths that you do in America. They can't simply decide to stop eating at Subway or not go see a movie to spare money. They're poor. Poorer than we will ever be.

And if you think, they don't deserve to get for free what we buy for 50-60$, you should not forget that we're basically paying them nothing for pretty much every products that are made in a third world country.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

Godot said:
Wow! What a topic. On one side, you have the rich self-righteous western kids (I call them rich even if they work at Wal-Mart) telling to the poor third world persons that if they pirate, they're making the big American/Japanese corporations lose money and some software engineers, 3d artists, etc. will lose their job.

Piracy in third world countries is as high as 90% and it's not surprising. They don't do the same maths that you do in America. They can't simply decide to stop eating at Subway or not go see a movie to spare money. They're poor. Poorer than we will ever be.

And if you think, they don't deserve to get for free what we buy for 50-60$, you should not forget that we're basically paying them nothing for pretty much every products that are made in a third world country.

Thank you for speaking some sense, especially the last part, VERY good point. The US pays them cents an hour to produce products which are immidiately sold at ridiculous prices right back to the same people that produced them. Maybe if companies were paying the 3rd world equal money that they would in the US then they wouldn't pirate as much? Just a thought.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:
Godot said:

Thank you for speaking some sense, especially the last part, VERY good point. The US pays them cents an hour to produce products which are immidiately sold at ridiculous prices right back to the same people that produced them. Maybe if companies were paying the 3rd world equal money that they would in the US then they wouldn't pirate as much? Just a thought.

What I do not understand, is how poor people in 3rd world countries can afford to by a PS3 or 360 in the first place?  If they are poor, where are they getting the money to buy a console?