By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
bardicverse said:
kcua_626 said:
bardicverse said:
kcua_626 said:
bardicverse said:
Im pretty much against it. People argue that they want to try the game before they go out and buy it. That's what rentals are for. If you don't want to spend $50, wait 6 months until its down to $20-$30. There is no reason for people to just take for free what people have worked 10 hours a day for 3+ years on.

Can you spend 20 to 30 bucks for a game if you earn $50 a month working 10 hours a day 6 days a week?

Where the hell do you work that you make $50/month working 60 hour weeks? I help out on Saturdays, working for 8 hours, in a friend's snowboard shop, and make about $80 plus commissions for the DAY.

The Philippines. And we have ~70% jobless rate. And that's not the worst in the world. Try China.

Damn dude. You need to move to a 1st world country. That sucks.

I think that the issue then is, videogames fall under that luxury goods section - they are products aimed at those who live beyond survival, just like expensive cars, fur coats, etc, just not NEARLY as expensive. So being in a place that doesn't really give people the chance to enjoy luxury things, I can see how it makes it difficult to want to try to maintain such a lifestyle.

Yeah, and the Philippines would have been a state of the US if it weren't for those dumb heroes who fought off the Americans back in pre WW2 era. Then the US would then have to pay for the trillions of dollars of our debt to the IMF

Around the Network
CaptDS9E said:
I love how people justify breaking the law.

It's only law depending on where you live.

I could care less about it. Like several people before me said: I don't care for it, but you don't see me crusading against it. It is a fact of the industry.

It's amazing how few of you realize the damage this piracy stuff has done to your minds. You've fallen into the trap of believing that in some way you just DESERVE to have these things, simply because other people have them. You've been brainwashed. A hundred years ago, this attitude wasn't nearly as prevalent.

I don't have the money to go out and buy video games, and thus I don't play games that cost money. I like them as much as the next person. But I've been able to separate want from need. There are lots of things in life I'd love to have. But not having them doesn't threaten my ability to survive or enjoy life. And it CERTAINLY doesn't make me willing to take away from the livelihood of others.

You idiots who think these game developers are just sitting back getting rich need to spend a little time in the software industry. Most of these companies face pretty stiff survival obstacles that mean being able to provide for your family isn't a given. But the scariest thing in all of this is that many of you have wanted this so badly that you've completely subscribed to the cultural brainwashing that lets you justify stealing from other individuals. You love the fact that so many other people are doing it and justifying it in their minds, because it makes you feel less guilty and less responsible. But in the end, you absolutely know that you are putting your wants above the needs of others. The more you let yourself do that, the colder and less humane you become. You can't engage in that behavior and not have it affect your mind.

andersonalex said:

It's amazing how few of you realize the damage this piracy stuff has done to your minds. You've fallen into the trap of believing that in some way you just DESERVE to have these things, simply because other people have them. You've been brainwashed. A hundred years ago, this attitude wasn't nearly as prevalent. What makes a worker in the US earning $500 a month working 8 hours a day 5days a week more DESERVING than a worker in the third world earning $50 a month working 10 hours a day 6 days a week?

I don't have the money to go out and buy video games, and thus I don't play games that cost money. I like them as much as the next person. But I've been able to separate want from need. There are lots of things in life I'd love to have. But not having them doesn't threaten my ability to survive or enjoy life. And it CERTAINLY doesn't make me willing to take away from the livelihood of others. It's not a matter of saying that I don't have the money and so I don't buy games. You have to understand the meaning of "simple wanting". Wanting a video game is different from desiring for a Ferrari.

You idiots who think these game developers are just sitting back getting rich need to spend a little time in the software industry. Most of these companies face pretty stiff survival obstacles that mean being able to provide for your family isn't a given. But the scariest thing in all of this is that many of you have wanted this so badly that you've completely subscribed to the cultural brainwashing that lets you justify stealing from other individuals. You love the fact that so many other people are doing it and justifying it in their minds, because it makes you feel less guilty and less responsible. But in the end, you absolutely know that you are putting your wants above the needs of others. The more you let yourself do that, the colder and less humane you become. You can't engage in that behavior and not have it affect your mind. And you, my friend, has to try living in a third world earning $50 a month working 60 hours a week. You have also been brainwashed that the multibillion corporations deserve everything they earn for what they do justifying $60 a pop for a game in every parts of the world.

@andersonalex : I totally agree. Intellectual Property is vanishing and more and more people think people who work with their mind don't deserve to be paid...

Go ahead guys, don't pay for the people who use all their skill and creativity to create games, movies, music... Then all you'll get is youtube as your unique TV channel, and flash player as your unique gaming platform. Wonderful.

Around the Network

If it is a single player game or a game i am never planning to play multi player on PC then it is welcome to my long list of games that I pirated. The most recent games I think were Spore (which sucked), Red Alert 3 (which sucked) and Fallout 3 (which has enough glitches to fill 10 pages worth of a wiki). The problem with PC games is that I have no opportunity to return them if I dont like them or if they simply dont work. What other product is out there that cant be returned the moment you open the box even if it is completely and utterly destroyed.

But in the end fuck justification, I saved hundreds by not buying games and getting them for free. And I will continue to do so until there is actually a good reason to buy those games (Left 4 Dead bought day 1).

Proud owner of the following gaming devices:

PC, XBox 360, Wii, PS2, DS, PS3

kcua_626 said:
andersonalex said:

It's amazing how few of you realize the damage this piracy stuff has done to your minds. You've fallen into the trap of believing that in some way you just DESERVE to have these things, simply because other people have them. You've been brainwashed. A hundred years ago, this attitude wasn't nearly as prevalent. What makes a worker in the US earning $500 a month working 8 hours a day 5days a week more DESERVING than a worker in the third world earning $50 a month working 10 hours a day 6 days a week?

I don't have the money to go out and buy video games, and thus I don't play games that cost money. I like them as much as the next person. But I've been able to separate want from need. There are lots of things in life I'd love to have. But not having them doesn't threaten my ability to survive or enjoy life. And it CERTAINLY doesn't make me willing to take away from the livelihood of others. It's not a matter of saying that I don't have the money and so I don't buy games. You have to understand the meaning of "simple wanting". Wanting a video game is different from desiring for a Ferrari.

You idiots who think these game developers are just sitting back getting rich need to spend a little time in the software industry. Most of these companies face pretty stiff survival obstacles that mean being able to provide for your family isn't a given. But the scariest thing in all of this is that many of you have wanted this so badly that you've completely subscribed to the cultural brainwashing that lets you justify stealing from other individuals. You love the fact that so many other people are doing it and justifying it in their minds, because it makes you feel less guilty and less responsible. But in the end, you absolutely know that you are putting your wants above the needs of others. The more you let yourself do that, the colder and less humane you become. You can't engage in that behavior and not have it affect your mind. And you, my friend, has to try living in a third world earning $50 a month working 60 hours a week. You have also been brainwashed that the multibillion corporations deserve everything they earn for what they do justifying $60 a pop for a game in every parts of the world.

Third world is not an excuse. Of course if you live in a third world country, there's a lot of stuff you can't buy, because they come from countries where people are paid much more for their work than in yours, because life is much more expensive in their country. There's still a solution, buy Indonesian games and consoles.

Who? Dumb people and capitalists.

kuraobi said:
@andersonalex : I totally agree. Intellectual Property is vanishing and more and more people think people who work with their mind don't deserve to be paid...

Go ahead guys, don't pay for the people who use all their skill and creativity to create games, movies, music... Then all you'll get is youtube as your unique TV channel, and flash player as your unique gaming platform. Wonderful.

I'm not saying that they don't have to be paid. I'm just justifying piracy for those who are logically incapable of paying $60 a pop for games.

And before everything else. I don't pirate my games. I pay for them just like any of you out there because I have a means to pay for them. I spend 10 to 15 times more on other stuff I don't really "need". So why do I feel that I have to try justifying piracy? The world isn't really fair at all times and it doesn't hurt to give those people who can't have games like we normally do have a voice.

kuraobi said:
kcua_626 said:
andersonalex said:

Third world is not an excuse. Of course if you live in a third world country, there's a lot of stuff you can't buy, because they come from countries where people are paid much more for their work than in yours, because life is much more expensive in their country. There's still a solution, buy Indonesian games and consoles.

Yeah try saying that if you live in the third world.