By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - OTHERS NUMBERS IN : huge hurting on ps3

Pristine20 said:
@ctk495, did soriku really post that? wow, he's a real teenager lol

Yep he did.

Around the Network

Over 1,000,000 Ninty consoles in one region in one week. NINTENDOMINATION
(>'.')>

Nintendo hasn't changed, MS is clearly changing. They make it well known they want to change and will spend millions to go at certain people like other consoles are doing.

Xbox is destroying PS3, destroying the competition with pricing (that reminds me of something), how low can Xbox go?

I wonder if DS can do 1mil units, think that happened before. If these numbers stay constant, Wii might be able to get 50% soon, Japan really needs to pull through for Nintendo in that they need to keep xbox numbers very low.

Hyruken said:
Dallinor said:

I honestly don't understand why the gap between the PS3 and 360 wasn't huge weeks before this.

Anyone living in Europe at the moment will realise that Microsoft are almost rivaling Nintendo at the moment for advertising. Some days I actually see more 360 ads then Wii ads. On the other hand Sony are simply not advertising their system at all.

This massive marketing push is paying off.

If it's mostly the hardcore that buy systems in off-holiday weeks, expect the gap to get even wider between the 360 and PS3 as we come closer to Xmas. The price difference of the two consoles is huge, and Microsofts are throwing millions and millions at advertising. When it comes to buying presents for others there are going to be only two viable choices.

I disagree. I think the PS3 is advertised far more then 360 and on par with the Wii. The PS3 ads right now are every where, especially on peak times like when a football game is on. I have not even seen one Gears 2 advert yet where as LittleBigPlanet ads are on like every 1hr or so. The other thing is Sony advertise multi-platform games as if they were exclusive. The ads in general are normally just crap. They try and be clever when people dont want that, they dont want to see a story about how some guy lost his money in a hotel....They want to see what game is out, what it lookslike and what it can do. The PS3 ads just plain suck and have almost nothing to do with actual games. Look at the few 360 ads that are actually on. They dont advertise one specific game they advertise genres. Like right now the ad i see for th 36 is Rock Band advert. They talk about the future music games, how much they cost and what they looklike. That informs the public in about 10 seconds. Where as the PS3 adverts teach the public nothing. "This is living". More like "this is how to completely baffle your audience".

I've been spending a lot of time watching TV recently. (In between breaks in my study). I think I must have seen the Gears 2 advertisment as many as maybe 20-30 times.

Need for Speed also features the 360 logo flashed at the end, the same goes for the Rockband advertisments, again with the 360 featured at the end, which I see almost daily.

At the bus stop this morning there was a Lips poster in the Bus shelter (and in a few others along the way) and when I got onto the bus, I opened up the paper, and after reading through it for some time I came across a page-size Gears 2 advertisment with the 360 priced at the bottom.

I was literally bombarded from the moment I woke up until I came home with 360 advertisments, far more so then even the Wii. The 360 is being advertised at the moment, at least where I live, more so then ever before and I think MS are succeding wonderfully -especially where I live- with their marketing division in Europe.

In the past few weeks I've seen 2 LBP commercials. Nothing else from Sony advertising the PS3 in any shape or form...

I agree with your assesment of the general quality of the PS3 advertising. It's confusing, and really needs to focus more on getting information across fast. It needs to be more direct.

Many consumers probably look at the LBP commercial and don't really understand what they're looking at.

psrock said:

this what just happened to those who missed it.

Way off-topic:  Ahah.. that's Dundas Square in Toronto..

On Topic - You know when something is too good to be true...  ... well these numbers sort of feels like that...

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network

@dallinor

it's called tears of war ad lol

it's romantic rather than mean and brutal (like the gears i know and love to play)

SpartanFX said:
@dallinor

it's called tears of war ad lol

it's romantic rather than mean and brutal (like the gears i know and love to play)

Indeed, it's an attempt to showcase a depth or profundity to the game that doesn't really exist. Much like the "epicness" of the Halo 3 advertisments.

It's much better and more effective then simply showing Marcus Fenix stomping alien heads to a rock song.

These numbers are not good for PS3... If this holds for the rest of the holiday season, 360 might outsell PS3 for the entire year. Considering they were behind by 2+ million going into September (for the year), a comeback like that in 4 months would be epic.

With these kinds of numbers, a price cut might not be enough for Sony in spring. There is a point at which Sony cannot comeback. The next six months is key for the PS3. If they don't turn it around by June, they will not be able to get out of third place for the generation. KZ2 + a price cut may be their final hope. GoW III probably won't be out until fall which will be too late if they are not back in it by June.

The only thing i have to say is.....

DAMN!!!! nintendo, yo scary!!!!

My eyes popped out of my head at the gap between the HD consoles. In Others?!??! Wow.

I don't find the Nintendo numbers shocking, but still impressive. 360 might gain a million WW in November/December holiday sales.

The Americas numbers ought to be very interesting if the Others numbers are that lopsided.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?