By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rumors of PGR4 being limited by DVD are false

Actually leo-j, the reason one level on Killzone two is two gigabites is because sony has shocking compression techniques.  They said motorstorm was 22 gigabites, if it was, i have serious concerns about sony's first party software compression capabilities.  The reason we are seeing a whole lot of comments regarding supposedly huge game sizes is simple, they are trying to justify having used the PS3 as a trojan horse to push blu-ray.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
starcraft said:
Actually leo-j, the reason one level on Killzone two is two gigabites is because sony has shocking compression techniques.  They said motorstorm was 22 gigabites, if it was, i have serious concerns about sony's first party software compression capabilities.  The reason we are seeing a whole lot of comments regarding supposedly huge game sizes is simple, they are trying to justify having used the PS3 as a trojan horse to push blu-ray.

Yes you are correct, sony lies in order to push blu-ray.

mM
leo-j said:
starcraft said:
Actually leo-j, the reason one level on Killzone two is two gigabites is because sony has shocking compression techniques. They said motorstorm was 22 gigabites, if it was, i have serious concerns about sony's first party software compression capabilities. The reason we are seeing a whole lot of comments regarding supposedly huge game sizes is simple, they are trying to justify having used the PS3 as a trojan horse to push blu-ray.

Yes you are correct, sony lies in order to push blu-ray.

thats why they have kojima come and complain about the size of bd being too small.  at least he isnt paid by sony and gets to say what he actually feels.

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

Kojima, not paid by Sony?  Where are people getting this idea that Microsoft pays millions of dollars for exclusives, but that somehow Sony whos PS3 has a much smaller userbase is getting them out of the kindness of developers hearts?

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

because mgs4 was started way before there was even a problem in sony land.

the other thing is that sony only said they dont bribe for exclusives. they never said that they wouldnt help the other company financially like running ads, publishing, running servers, anything like that wouldnt be bribery but would still be "allowed" by sony. in other words sony bribes people in less straight up ways.

Around the Network

another thing. can people look at how my other posts to see how much bullshit this pr is?

Well if you want to see what you can do with good compression and people who know what the hell they are doing download "fr-041_debris.exe" it is about a 5 minute video that your system will render real time. I'm sure some of you have heard of it, but while you are watching it just keep in mind the fact that the file is only 177KB which is about 53,000 times less disk space than is available on DVD9.

Just watch the video through to its conclusion as most of the cool stuff is near the end. But seriously if they can do that with 177KB then 9GB is plenty of space to make more than 10 levels if you are using your resources properly.

To Each Man, Responsibility
soccerdrew17 said:
http://kotaku.com/gaming/xbox-360/bizarre-disappointed-with-rushed-pgr3-vow-no-pgr4-before-its-time-280935.php

if that isnt enough to show that this pr comment is utter bullshit and the 360 is already showing its age with no hdd or next gen disk format than something is wrong with the person.

timeline:
1)bizarre-"this will be the exact game we want to make. it will not be released early."
2)bizarre-"We are limited by the size of dvd so we cant put in more textures."

3)pr speak-"it was because of design that we dont have the second set of textures."

This is exactly how I felt when I started reading this thread. Everyone on Kotaku, a much more balanced site, saw right through this statement as damage control/pressure from MS to make everything seem peachy. However, everyone here believes the second statement from the company as if the first statement had never been made in the first place because the first statement suggests that DVD is not enough for this generation, thereby validating Sony's decision to go with Blu-Ray.

And if "creative" development techniques can completely cope with size limitations, why did we go to DVD in the first place?

Edit - soccerdrew, I thought you were talking about THIS article.  Read the comments, even the person who wrote the piece thinks Bizarre is full of BS.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/spin-control/bizzare-talks-disc-space-and-pgr4-284936.php 

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

akuma587 said:
soccerdrew17 said:
http://kotaku.com/gaming/xbox-360/bizarre-disappointed-with-rushed-pgr3-vow-no-pgr4-before-its-time-280935.php

if that isnt enough to show that this pr comment is utter bullshit and the 360 is already showing its age with no hdd or next gen disk format than something is wrong with the person.

timeline:
1)bizarre-"this will be the exact game we want to make. it will not be released early."
2)bizarre-"We are limited by the size of dvd so we cant put in more textures."

3)pr speak-"it was because of design that we dont have the second set of textures."

This is exactly how I felt when I started reading this thread. Everyone on Kotaku, a much more balanced site, saw right through this statement as damage control/pressure from MS to make everything seem peachy. However, everyone here believes the second statement from the company as if the first statement had never been made in the first place because the first statement suggests that DVD is not enough for this generation, thereby validating Sony's decision to go with Blu-Ray.

And if "creative" development techniques can completely cope with size limitations, why did we go to DVD in the first place?

Edit - soccerdrew, I thought you were talking about THIS article. Read the comments, even the person who wrote the piece thinks Bizarre is full of BS.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/spin-control/bizzare-talks-disc-space-and-pgr4-284936.php

Just to be clear, I do think this case is PR spin.  I just think the PGR4 dev team could stand to spend a bit more time on compression so they can add more levels and less time coding their game to know the difference between coniferous and decidous trees so it can properly remove foilage on a level during a blizzard.

Breadth of content needs to be balanced with depth of content. 

To Each Man, Responsibility
Sqrl said:
Well if you want to see what you can do with good compression and people who know what the hell they are doing download "fr-041_debris.exe" it is about a 5 minute video that your system will render real time. I'm sure some of you have heard of it, but while you are watching it just keep in mind the fact that the file is only 177KB which is about 53,000 times less disk space than is available on DVD9.

Just watch the video through to its conclusion as most of the cool stuff is near the end. But seriously if they can do that with 177KB then 9GB is plenty of space to make more than 10 levels if you are using your resources properly.

With that technology one could fit all FF7 movies into a Snes game pak.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."