By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rumors of PGR4 being limited by DVD are false

Kasz216 said:
leo-j said:
afree_account said:
leo-j said:
BenKenobi88 said:
9 gigs should be plenty for a game...I'm sure there's certain storage-packing games out there that might require more than 9, but currently, you should be able to make a AAA Game of the Year with 9 gigs, so who cares.

Wasnt the reason why gears of war was short is becuase of the disc capacity? And isnt one level in killzone 2 2gigs of data? Then you can only make 4 0r 5 levels...I think 9 gigs isnt enough, isnt dvd9 15gigs anyway?

OMG,

DVD9 is just 9 gigs, 15 might by your age!

I guess you had to much 4D gaming!

No sorry Im younger lol

You fool!! Im not saying they are making the game go fourth dimensional, Im saying that 4d graphics are possible meaning that they look like there 4d not that they are man, and sorry 360 fans keep saying its 15 gigs it got stuck in my head.

A game where you watch people and things age? Sounds more like a Wii game then a PS3 game!

He's talkin about loading screens ! ;)
ZOMG, it's the LAIR loading screen......
...but it's not 4D, but it looks like 4D, trust leo-j, who argues like a child.

btw: Is there a cure for the disease "PS3Fanboyness" ?

Around the Network
afree_account said:
Kasz216 said:
leo-j said:
afree_account said:
leo-j said:
BenKenobi88 said:
9 gigs should be plenty for a game...I'm sure there's certain storage-packing games out there that might require more than 9, but currently, you should be able to make a AAA Game of the Year with 9 gigs, so who cares.

Wasnt the reason why gears of war was short is becuase of the disc capacity? And isnt one level in killzone 2 2gigs of data? Then you can only make 4 0r 5 levels...I think 9 gigs isnt enough, isnt dvd9 15gigs anyway?

OMG,

No sorry Im younger lol

You fool!! Im not saying they are making the game go fourth dimensional, Im saying that 4d graphics are possible meaning that they look like there 4d not that they are man, and sorry 360 fans keep saying its 15 gigs it got stuck in my head.

A game where you watch people and things age? Sounds more like a Wii game then a PS3 game!

The people look so realistic that they look like if we were looking at each other in other words LOOKS LIKE ITS 4-D!!!!! not that it is 4d.,and what does lair have to do with this? In what way do I argue like a child, mr free guy? And again what does being a ps3 fanboy have to do with this?

mM

LOL....J Allard even said at the begining when the Xbox 360 was about to launch that DVD-9 was enough to hold over developers...he said that they need to compress the data...and if they dont thats just proving they are lazy at developing games on the format disc..he also said that DVD-9 in the last generation wasn't really used much there would be like 3 gigs left on the disc or more after the developer would finish the game...I never listened to that previous article that said PGR 4 wouldn't fit on the disc...that thread was flaming bait.....

afree_account said:
Kasz216 said:
leo-j said:
afree_account said:
leo-j said:
BenKenobi88 said:

OMG,

No sorry Im younger lol

Will try and clear up somethings here.

DVD9: A DVD9 has 8.5GB of storage space available. A xbox 360 DVD9 has 7GB of space available for game data. The remaining 1.5GB being taken up by various applications that need to be present on every disk.

4D graphics: My understanding of this is that it refers to real time rendering of procedural textures to create an aging effect. I really have no idea how this could be used in games. It is not like you are going to play a game where you sit and watch paint dry.

when you get someone (i think it was last week) talking about pgr4 saying "we aren't going to rush it. this is going to be the game we want to make." i have a serious problem with them coming out and contradicting two old statements but only trying to do to one. them saying that it was possible but they didnt have time or something else contradicts what they already said. im going to go find the article now.

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

Around the Network

http://kotaku.com/gaming/xbox-360/bizarre-disappointed-with-rushed-pgr3-vow-no-pgr4-before-its-time-280935.php

if that isnt enough to show that this pr comment is utter bullshit and the 360 is already showing its age with no hdd or next gen disk format than something is wrong with the person.

timeline:
1)bizarre-"this will be the exact game we want to make. it will not be released early."
2)bizarre-"We are limited by the size of dvd so we cant put in more textures."

3)pr speak-"it was because of design that we dont have the second set of textures."

bump, cause obviously 360 fanboys and anti-sony fanboys wont respond.

afree_account said:

I've said this before on another forum, but I'll say it again, the bottleneck on game length, content is not the size of the disk, but the amount of time that the devs have to develop the game, it takes time to design the levels, program them, test them, etc... and during all that time they're paying programmers, artists, managers, so at some point they have to say "enough" and go from losing money to getting the game out and making money.

I've always believed that dvd9 would be enough this gen since I installed a 120GB HD in my original xbox and would rip my games onto it, most games were around 2GB on average, meaning that most games could grow 4 times as large as last gen and still have room left over. I'm not saying the Blue-Ray is useless, I think it is useful if you want to pack a lot of extra video or HD cutscenes into a game (or a movie like Stranglehold), but, I don't think it offers much value beyond that. Of course, I could be wrong, I am about a lot of things, but as a software engineer and a gamer, that's always been my impression.

Currently Playing:  Saints Row 2 | Battlefield 2 | Company of Heroes

Recently Beaten: Gears of War | Super Mario Galaxy | Darwinia | MGS4 | Sam and Max Ep. 4, Portal | Mirror's Edge | Uncharted | Mass Effect

Looking Forward to: Alan Wake | Splinter Cell : Conviction | The Last Guardian | Batman: Arkham Asylum | SMG2 | Mass Effect 2 |

your mother said:
afree_account said:

I love nintendo I love , I hate sony, I love wii

Wii will win, let the love of the wii spread through the world!!!

mM