By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rumors of PGR4 being limited by DVD are false

leo-j said:
afree_account said:
leo-j said:
BenKenobi88 said:
9 gigs should be plenty for a game...I'm sure there's certain storage-packing games out there that might require more than 9, but currently, you should be able to make a AAA Game of the Year with 9 gigs, so who cares.

Wasnt the reason why gears of war was short is becuase of the disc capacity? And isnt one level in killzone 2 2gigs of data? Then you can only make 4 0r 5 levels...I think 9 gigs isnt enough, isnt dvd9 15gigs anyway?

OMG,

DVD9 is just 9 gigs, 15 might by your age!

I guess you had to much 4D gaming!

No sorry Im younger lol

You fool!! Im not saying they are making the game go fourth dimensional, Im saying that 4d graphics are possible meaning that they look like there 4d not that they are man, and sorry 360 fans keep saying its 15 gigs it got stuck in my head.

A game where you watch people and things age?  Sounds more like a Wii game then a PS3 game!

Around the Network

Sounds like damage control to me.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't somebody from the company making PGR4 say this? To me, this pretty much sounds like,

"We ran into a little bit of trouble with the disk space when trying to do something"

*Microsoft takes out their paddle and starts to drill holes in it*

"I mean, we were able to get around any issues by doing some things differently"

---

Overblown the reaction from Sony and blu-ray people could be, but their argument was "With blu-ray, you don't have to do any of that" and then Microsoft jumped in. Then again, that's how I saw it. 

leo-j said:
BenKenobi88 said:
9 gigs should be plenty for a game...I'm sure there's certain storage-packing games out there that might require more than 9, but currently, you should be able to make a AAA Game of the Year with 9 gigs, so who cares.

Wasnt the reason why gears of war was short is becuase of the disc capacity? And isnt one level in killzone 2 2gigs of data? Then you can only make 4 0r 5 levels...I think 9 gigs isnt enough, isnt dvd9 15gigs anyway?

Gears of War was short becase 1) they didn't have the time to make it longer and 2) single player wasn't the focus.

leo-j said:
BenKenobi88 said:

As for a single Killzone 2 level being 2 gigs, when you take in textures, animations, models, ect that is believable but also misleading. The level itself is just a text file that probably does take a couple hundred megs that is exclusive to that level, but everything else is shared. So yes, that level uses 2 gigs, but most of the other levels are going to use most of those same assetts.

IllegalPaladin said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't somebody from the company making PGR4 say this? To me, this pretty much sounds like,

"We ran into a little bit of trouble with the disk space when trying to do something"

*Microsoft takes out their paddle and starts to drill holes in it*

"I mean, we were able to get around any issues by doing some things differently"

---

Overblown the reaction from Sony and blu-ray people could be, but their argument was "With blu-ray, you don't have to do any of that" and then Microsoft jumped in. Then again, that's how I saw it. 

Read the original article, they say the exact same thing except this time it is more clear because people were misunderstanding. 

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network
twesterm said:
leo-j said:
BenKenobi88 said:

Gears of War was short becase 1) they didn't have the time to make it longer and 2) single player wasn't the focus.

leo-j said:
BenKenobi88 said:

As for a single Killzone 2 level being 2 gigs, when you take in textures, animations, models, ect that is believable but also misleading. The level itself is just a text file that probably does take a couple hundred megs that is exclusive to that level, but everything else is shared. So yes, that level uses 2 gigs, but most of the other levels are going to use most of those same assetts.

That depends on the level setting. E.G a desert level will use completely differnet geometries and textures to a snow level etc.

With regards to gears it came within 500mb of filling the disc and now we have an entiley new act for the PC. Seems obvious it has been limited by disk size.

twesterm said:

Bingo. Anyway this is not a mistery, it was confirmed by GG on PS official forum. A dev always works thinking about what a platform has to offer, pushing the hardware it to its limits and then trying to move around them it's what it's all about (ok, there's much more..). Obviously the more space you have, the better

Saiyar said:
twesterm said:
leo-j said:
BenKenobi88 said:

leo-j said:
BenKenobi88 said:

That depends on the level setting. E.G a desert level will use completely differnet geometries and textures to a snow level etc.

With regards to gears it came within 500mb of filling the disc and now we have an entiley new act for the PC. Seems obvious it has been limited by disk size.

Apart from that, it's also probably a bit of incentive to buy it on the PC too. Though I'm sure if it was because of disk space, they'd get in trouble for talking about it. Talking about Gears and disk space, isn't one way that it took up so much space because of texture streaming or whatever? I don't know all the details, but somebody from Insomnia talked about it in a long rant defending Resistance and the PS3. While it was a defending post, that does interest me if it the person was right when he/she was talking about the disk space required in Gears. 

IllegalPaladin said:
Saiyar said:
twesterm said:
leo-j said:
BenKenobi88 said:

leo-j said:
BenKenobi88 said:

Apart from that, it's also probably a bit of incentive to buy it on the PC too. Though I'm sure if it was because of disk space, they'd get in trouble for talking about it. Talking about Gears and disk space, isn't one way that it took up so much space because of texture streaming or whatever? I don't know all the details, but somebody from Insomnia talked about it in a long rant defending Resistance and the PS3. While it was a defending post, that does interest me if it the person was right when he/she was talking about the disk space required in Gears. 

Texture streaming allows high detailed textures to be used with less memory requirements. The use of texture streaming inadvertently increases the storage needs since more detailed textures obviously take up more room.

Quoting the guys who made Oblivion is not a good idea, those guys suck at coding and making games run fast, i played the game for the 360 and its loading times were insane. 2+ minute loadings everytime you went in and out of buildings, lol. The PS3 version had almost no loading times, so explain how the 360 is faster.