By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rumors of PGR4 being limited by DVD are false

You can do a lot with compression and truly fit an insane amount of date in 9gigs, but you have to remember that decompression takes time and decompressing is fairly expensive.

Around the Network
twesterm said:
You can do a lot with compression and truly fit an insane amount of date in 9gigs, but you have to remember that decompression takes time and decompressing is fairly expensive.

This is absolutely true, but part of good compression is good retrieval time.  Besides I always hear from PS3 fanboys how powerful the PS3 is .  Seriously though, I am not suggesting they pack everything into tiny little spaces.  Just that they should have given compression a bit more thought when they start talking about only doing 4-5 levels to a racing game.  Like many things compression is good in moderation =)

On the plus side, the screens did look pretty good. 

To Each Man, Responsibility

Honestly, this statment reads like pure damage control. Though what would you expect them to say, really?

DKII said:
Honestly, this statment reads like pure damage control. Though what would you expect them to say, really?

Exactly.  MS and some of the other people in the company who are getting paid by MS probably weren't very happy when this got out. 

God forbid that the DVD should ever be insufficient.  Too bad Blue Dragon is already clocked in at 3 DVD's.  Hell, there were multiple PS2 games last gen that were 2 DVD's (all of which were RPG's as far as I remember).  Shadow Hearts: Covenant and Xenosaga II and III are some I can name off the top of my head. 

And for you compression nuts out there, why do we ever increase storage mediums to begin with?

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

^ no idea why because as far as i'm concern the future for everybody is massive HDD with internet connection to DL or stream datas....

in the future you'll have a 120" touch screen rolable TV, with cell chips or else in it, with a massive HDD, an optical connection (very high speed wirerless connection).... you'll be able to make your phone calls on it in video conferencing format if you want, surf the web answer your mail.... ask by voice for the music you want, same for movies, you'll be able to DL your games and all that with automatic debit from your account... hell you might even be able to watch terminator 15 on side of the screen while you play at Final Fantasy 50 on the other side and order you weekly errands at your local mart at the same time....

not now but it will come..... CD/DVD/HDDVD are the crapiest format... they have so short life expectencie..... hell I have still old disket of windows 3.1 working.... the HDD is the future and that's it.... a small 1 To HDD that's what's the future :)

Around the Network

i believe bizarre creations. a dvd9 can basically fit around 10gb. think about it technically: how can a racing game need over 10gb....? and on the topic, how could any game not produced by rich scum like sony or ea ever even get the funding to fit the riduculous amount of space a blu-ray disc allows?

endimion said:
^ no idea why because as far as i'm concern the future for everybody is massive HDD with internet connection to DL or stream datas....

in the future you'll have a 120" touch screen rolable TV, with cell chips or else in it, with a massive HDD, an optical connection (very high speed wirerless connection).... you'll be able to make your phone calls on it in video conferencing format if you want, surf the web answer your mail.... ask by voice for the music you want, same for movies, you'll be able to DL your games and all that with automatic debit from your account... hell you might even be able to watch terminator 15 on side of the screen while you play at Final Fantasy 50 on the other side and order you weekly errands at your local mart at the same time....

not now but it will come..... CD/DVD/HDDVD are the crapiest format... they have so short life expectencie..... hell I have still old disket of windows 3.1 working.... the HDD is the future and that's it.... a small 1 To HDD that's what's the future :)

Been watching Back to the Future 2?

"Suck on it" -vgchartz mod

This is what was said.

"You won’t see different times of day per city because this involves recreating all the textures again (one for day and one for night). Whilst this wasn’t a problem for our dev team, it was a problem fitting all this data onto a single DVD. So we’ve worked around the problem by providing different lighting models per city. For example, Macau is always in the daytime, but if you play it during a storm everything looks darker and more foreboding. If you play during a blizzard then things are slightly tinged blue and everything seems more frozen. Of course, playing this track in sunshine will make everything appear bright and yellowy."

So at the end of the day, they are being limited by dvd. 

http://kotaku.com/gaming/xbox-360/bizarre-disappointed-with-rushed-pgr3-vow-no-pgr4-before-its-time-280935.p
"this will be the game we want to make"

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/30/bizarre-confirms-pgr4s-cities-comments-on-dvd-constraints/
"we are constrained by the hardware"

now with pr:
"no problems, we didnt feel like putting in night and day?

is it just me or is there a problem here?

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

first link doesn't work with me