By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your top 5 game controllers

1)Wii-Mote/Nunchuk: Accurate and intuitive motion control combined with comfort makes this an instant number 1.

2)Gamecube: Everything seems perfectly proportionate (Minus the D-Pad) and has a very comforting feel in your hands.

3)XBox 360: Although I like the Proportioned Buttons of the gamecube, I also like the equally sized buttons of the 360... And the triggers are perfect! Other companies should definitely consider using something like them... However... the D-Pad is frustrating at times... and doesn't really fit as well as the Gamecube's controller.

4)SNES: Gotta love the original! Yeah, I know the NES was before this one, but as far as I'm concerned, the SNES set the path for almost every other game controller out there... The L & R buttons curve perfectly over the top, and the controller its self feels good, except I seem to hurt my hands when playing MegaManX (Tapping) and the Select and start suck really bad...

5)N64: For the First mainstream analog controller, they certainly did a good job... and the Z Trigger was awesome for Goldeneye, but it's awkward shape only seemed to work well in some instances, and the D-pad was almost completely made obsolete.I didn't like the L & R buttons this time around, and the c-buttons were too small... Then again... RUMBLE!

The next five would be something like this...
6) DualShock 3
7) Genesis Controller
8) NES Controller
9) Dual Shock 2
10) Dual Shock 1

Guitar Hero 3/ Smash Hits
Around the Network

1: N64
2: Dualshock 2
3: SNES
4: GC
5: Dualshock 1

1: Xbox 360 controller
2: Wii-mote
3: SNES controller
4: N64 controller
5: Dualshock 2

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

1. SNES
2. Dualshock 2
3. Nintendo 64
4. Xbox 360

Honorary mention: Wii remote, only for the concept and how it changed gaming, the actual controller leaves a lot to be desired (though this will change a bit with Motion+)

# of games above 75 on Metacritic (including downloadable):

360: 241     DS: 144

PS3: 152     PSP: 126

Wii: 85

1. 360 - the pinnacle of dual analog design
2. NES - brought gaming to a new level; truly indestructible
3. Wiimote - changed everything
4. Dualshock - made the PS for me
5. 6 button Genesis - for the age of fighting games, this controller pwned

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

My preffered controller is the DS3/DS2/Sixaxis.  I enjoy the lightweight nature of the sixaxis.  The controller however is somewhat discomforting after an hour of play.  The 360 controller is a bit large but it feels great and does not cause the discomfort I experience with the DS3 style controller.  I dislike the trigger(odd location for me) and I strongly dislike the offset analog sticks and dpad.  If the button layout on the 360 controller mirrored the DS3 I would be in heaven.

Probably the most pleasing controller of all time was the 6 button genesis controller.  Comfortable and easy to use.

SmokedHostage said:
I don't get how people like the PS3 controller.. the dual analog murders my thumbs and the mushroom shape doesn't help either. D:

actually, it's the triggers that get me :P

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

1.PS1/2/3 Dualshock. D-Pad is best in the business (Tekken requires an accurate and responsive D-Pad )
2.GC Controller.
3.SNES
4. N64

360 controller
Gamecube Controller
Sega Saturn Controller
N64 Controller
Snes Controller

piggychan said:

1: saturn 2nd gen d-pad (it's the most natural for Capcom's 2D fighters)
2: xbox 360
3: gamecube
4: SNES
5: dreamcast

Glad to see someone else recognizes Sega Saturn Controller's greatness. IMO 360 is the best 3D controller, Saturn is the best 2D, and Gamecube is a great all around controller.