By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Critical Xmas for the Xbox360 ???

your mother said:
mrstickball said:
The X360 has by far, the best lineup of games in history. Ever. I know everyone will hate me for saying it, but the X360 lineup is about as good as the Wii and PS3's combined.

Fanboyism showing much lately?

And everything else HappySquirrel said. You may like the games on the 360, and I can understand that you would prefer that console being it's your only "next-gen" machine, but somehow I don't think your gaming preferences speak for the rest of the gaming community.

mrstickball..360 doesnt have the best line up.. I think the ps3 does..

mM
Around the Network
Gamerace said:
Love this thread, lots of well thought out replies.
Microsoft's problem is this: They are crushed in Japan, and are already being regularly outsold in Europe and other markets by the PS3 even though it's considerably more expensive and has few notable games.
That means their only hope to stay ahead of Sony is to DOMINATE the NA market (over Sony at least). This holiday season is their best chance to put enough distance between themselves and Sony to remain the dominate system. If they fail to pull far enough ahead, the combined PS3 dominance in Japan and Europe will give Sony a WW lead and ability to retain and gain more exclusives.
That doesn't doom the 360, but it makes it much harder to be competitive, especially in Europe (Japan is a write-off).

Exactly North america is there only chance of domination, but apperently a still more expensive ps3 is outselling it even there.

mM
Gamerace said:
Microsoft's problem is this: They are crushed in Japan, and are already being regularly outsold in Europe and other markets by the PS3 even though it's considerably more expensive and has few notable games.

Well, in Japan the PS-3 and the Xbox 360 are currently dead. There is no other way to say it. Handheld games sell much better. And for Europe, well this is the only useable BluRay Player, nothing more. While Sony thinks that many people who buy this console as a BluRay player will play with it, they miss several points by a long way. BluRay is a medium for film fans, but how many film fans are there who even have the time and interest to play games on a console? I must admit I play more often with my old Xbox or PS-2 than with the PS-3...

And you shouldn't ask for the number of threads by Sony fans who don't know what to do with their console...

As far as I see iut there is a quite significant chance that both HD consoles might die in the long run due to the bigger development costs! The Wii and handheld games are pulling money out of the typical console market. But without this money it gets difficult to refinance big budget titles. The big budget PS-2 games lived from casual gamers too. But what happens if the casual gamers have a different console?

BluRay won't plkay a major role in the casual market in the next few years. The differences are not significant enough to spend the additional money on films, while the HD formats offer no cost benefit for the film companies outside the high end market. 

Although I have a PS-3 I don't think that it will play such a role as Sony hopes. For me it is mainly a BluRay player till a multiformat standalone player gets its place! 

The way I see it, the 360 will be passed by the Wii by the end of the month. Then, when Halo 3 hits in September, it will catch Wii and the two will be neck and neck through the Holiday season. If the 360 can muster another price drop before then, then watch out...PS3 will be cooked and Wii will fall slightly behind (at least in North America).

The 360 line-up is pretty strong for this fall. You have a new Madden, Halo 3, GTA 4, BioShock, Mass Effect and then Gears 2 in 08.

I'm so glad I got a 360. I had the Wii but sold it since the game I wanted (Mario Galaxy) got delayed. Honestly, the controller was a gimmick - cool at first but then the novelty faded. The games weren't all that great. That being said, I will get it again to get Galaxy when it comes out in November (along with Mario Kart Wii), then who knows, I may sell it again.

leo-j said:
your mother said:
mrstickball said:
The X360 has by far, the best lineup of games in history. Ever. I know everyone will hate me for saying it, but the X360 lineup is about as good as the Wii and PS3's combined.

Fanboyism showing much lately?

And everything else HappySquirrel said. You may like the games on the 360, and I can understand that you would prefer that console being it's your only "next-gen" machine, but somehow I don't think your gaming preferences speak for the rest of the gaming community.

mrstickball..360 doesnt have the best line up.. I think the ps3 does..

I think we should just wait til the end of the year to see which system has the best line-up based on sales. Right now it's a little extreme to say any system has the best line-up.

Official member of the Sonic Support Squad!

Bet with OriGin: Within 1 year Super Smash Bros. Brawl will be ahead of Mario Kart Wii (when aligning the one whole year from each region). 2 week ban from Vgchartz for the loser. Edit: Darn! Looks like OriGin will win.

Around the Network
sienster said:
I'm so glad I got a 360. I had the Wii but sold it since the game I wanted (Mario Galaxy) got delayed. Honestly, the controller was a gimmick - cool at first but then the novelty faded. The games weren't all that great. That being said, I will get it again to get Galaxy when it comes out in November (along with Mario Kart Wii), then who knows, I may sell it again.

I can see why you felt that way if you only played launch games.   If you played the Wii version of Godfather, or Tiger Woods, they are just far superior IMHO versions to play because of the controls.  Metroid promises to do the same with FPS, and Galaxy for Platformers.  Also, I love the Wii for fighters like DBZ where it makes combo moves a breeze instead of memorizing ridiculous button combos.   Add games like Boogie, Playground, and others built around motion control....  It's definately not a gimmick, but an immersive experience, if done properly.

i don't recall having said it's the best ever but one of the best ever.... but about platformer not a lot are out there anymore and that's basically since sega died... the only one really interesting are nintendo (well it's my opinion).... but I wonder if a lot of people are still really looking for it.... I mean personally I love them but the old ones the 2D one.... I'm still playing super mario Bros. super mario 2 on nintendo or aladin and sonic on sega.... but I don't really like the 3D ones..... i even use to have an old copy of prince of persia for PC.... the only 3D plateformer I liked is actually the new POP....but it's also action adventure a little bit.... that's also a reason i love XBLA and hope they are going to push that a little bit more in the future...

@Leo-J

i'm pretty sure he was talking about total sales WW or total sales average ratio and not the little insignificant bump of the past couple weeks..... that is nothing for now.... it's july, a price cut on a product has been made and that's it for now... it might turn on the steam in the future but for now it's just what it is....

Gamerace said:
sienster said:

I can see why you felt that way if you only played launch games. If you played the Wii version of Godfather, or Tiger Woods, they are just far superior IMHO versions to play because of the controls. Metroid promises to do the same with FPS, and Galaxy for Platformers. Also, I love the Wii for fighters like DBZ where it makes combo moves a breeze instead of memorizing ridiculous button combos. Add games like Boogie, Playground, and others built around motion control.... It's definately not a gimmick, but an immersive experience, if done properly.

I don't have a WII but I play it at my friend house and I have to say that tiger is awesome....but you have to like golfing though.... I haven't tried the other ones.... but I'd like to try DBZ....

@Xeo_842

one more time the sales results of a product doesn't make it good..... with that known I say safely that with multi plat plus exclu combne 360 has the strongest line up (I don't include handheld as I don't follow that market at all)... 

leo-j said:
Gamerace said:
Love this thread, lots of well thought out replies.
That means their only hope to stay ahead of Sony is to DOMINATE the NA market (over Sony at least). This holiday season is their best chance to put enough distance between themselves and Sony to remain the dominate system. If they fail to pull far enough ahead, the combined PS3 dominance in Japan and Europe will give Sony a WW lead and ability to retain and gain more exclusives.
That doesn't doom the 360, but it makes it much harder to be competitive, especially in Europe (Japan is a write-off).

Exactly North america is there only chance of domination, but apperently a still more expensive ps3 is outselling it even there.

Care to make a bet which one will be selling better after the 360 price cut?

The critical time for the 360 will be 2008 after all the Halo hype has died down, because the PS3 and Wii seem to have better lineups.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3