By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Critical Xmas for the Xbox360 ???

This is very easy ,the X360 is selling almost the same as the original Xbox .And it wont improve its fortunes .Not even being cheaper .The Xbox 1 was reduced its price twice in Europe in 3 months and for most of its life was cheaper than the PS2 .THe Cube was eveb cheaper .So price does count in this ,but not so much .

Brand name plays an important role here .In Europe the PS3 will always sell more than the 360 .People dont like MS and Bill Gates ,dont like Windows (although they use it ) ,dont like how MS handled the Xbox 1 killing it suddendly ,dont like paying for internet gaming that every other plattform (PSP ,DS ,PS3 ,Wii ,PC ) gives you for free ,dont like the massive failure rate of the 360 .And thats it .Microsoft is only appearing to be fighting Sony because Sony have shot themselves in the foot with the PS3 price .But PS3 price will come down ,bundles will be launched ,games like ISS and MGS4 will appear and the PS3 will one day sell not some 30% more but massive 300% more .Thats coming ,and earlier than you think .This same week sales should show a BIG improvement of PS3 sales due to the Starter pack .Most of the PS3 forums have exploded with droves of people reporting having bought the Starter pack .

And in Japan the PS3 will slowly gain momentum and sales. .Maybe it wont beat the Wii in total numbers but it will be the console of the core gamers in 6 months and 1 year down the road.The perception there is different ,the PS3 isnt the console that has games that are already in other plattform ,the PS3 is the main core console and the 360 just the "other foreign and worse machine " .The PS3 will capitalize all the big games for itself once those are released ,even the multiplattform ones .Then it wont sell 6 times more than the 360 ,but 18 and 20 times more .

And in NA once the big games arrive for the PS3 and the price difference is slowly eroded then the PS3 will at least hold its own against the 360 .If ,and thats a if i remember it ,the PS3 can keep the pace with the 360 this christmas ,then the worlwide difference will reduce real fast .A PS3 price drop to 399 ,even if it is a 40 Gb machine or a "special offer " for Christmas will make the PS3 more than a match for the 360 even in its best scenario .360 should truly outdo the PS3 in NA to keep its global position ,but outsell it at least 2-1 and more probably 3 to 1 .And with the PS3 at 399 it woulndt be close to do that ,maybe in the best scenario for MS it could beat it by some 20-30% .

The 360 has some problems to be mainstream .First the brand name ,wich is really bad in most places except NA .Then the reliability issues .Then the game selection ,most people arent so mad about FPS as the north americans .Then the online ....Live can be great but it just wont win the average gamer .Core gamers are more than served with Nintendo and especially Sony offers ....paying a monthly fee for three gimmicky (although useful ) features wont win average gamers .X360 wont win the PS2 userbase ,like it or not .

Around the Network

Diomedes. To be fair, the X360 is selling at the same rate as the Xbox, despite being litterally twice as expensive.. People invision the X360 and Xbox on some magical playingfield that says that all that matters is that it's selling the same. Should it really? 6 months in, the Xbox was $200, after a $100 price drop. 19 months in, the X360 gets a price drop, and it's sold the same as the Xbox did worldwide (or about 10% better), despite being $400 USD for the normal model.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:

Everyone thinks MS will blunder it, but I really don't think they will. They've been saying since before last Christmas that the battle wasn't in 2006, but during Christmas 2007. Look at it: The X360 has by far, the best lineup of games in history. Ever. I know everyone will hate me for saying it, but the X360 lineup is about as good as the Wii and PS3's combined.

That is one of the easiest to attack statements ever made on this site ...

The XBox 360 simply doesn't have a genre defining platformer, adventure game, JRPG, Fighter, or kart racer. The XBox 360 has not spawned countless new genres, and hasn't redefined existing genres.

If the XBox 360 really had the best lineup of games in history its sales would be the best sales for any console in history.

The XBox 360 has an excellent selection of racing games and shooters which seem to appeal to a selection of hard-core gamers who would see it as the "best line-up in history" but for the majority of gamers it probably misses some/many of their favourite genres or series.

mrstickball said:
The X360 has by far, the best lineup of games in history. Ever. I know everyone will hate me for saying it, but the X360 lineup is about as good as the Wii and PS3's combined.

Fanboyism showing much lately?

And everything else HappySquirrel said. You may like the games on the 360, and I can understand that you would prefer that console being it's your only "next-gen" machine, but somehow I don't think your gaming preferences speak for the rest of the gaming community.

@Soriku and mitsuhide:

I don't think Nintendo felt it necessary to be part of TGS this year because Square-Enix has a few Nintendo games that they want to sell like mad, so Square-Enix will promote these games like mad during TGS.

In other words, Nintendo is banking on another company doing the promotion for them (and not have to spend a dime). 

Around the Network

Oh come on people.... most video game website are saying that the XB christmas line up is one of the best ever seen... don't tell me they are all XB fanboys with bias opinions....

even me I never had a list of wishes that long for any console in the past..... between the exclusives and the multi plat XBox is offering one of the best choice we have seen during the same period of time.... and not just on couple of genre.... but most of them if not all..... with, forza, the darkness, over lord, blue dragon, assassin's creed, mass effect, kane and lynch, simpson, GTA 4, mercenarie 2, bioshock, stranglehold, tony hawk, naruto, halo 3, COD4 and all the sports game, rock band, viva pinata party etc.... don't tell me the line up is not Fing awesome... that's pure heresy..... and that's not being a fanboy to say it..... it's just being realistic..... and it doesn't mean it wills sell either..... but if you don't like the line up either you are either a 100% WII fan and then I understand (and I have nothing against it).... or you are simply not made for video games and should find a new hobby....

endimion said:
Oh come on people.... most video game website are saying that the XB christmas line up is one of the best ever seen... don't tell me they are all XB fanboys with bias opinions....

even me I never had a list of wishes that long for any console in the past..... between the exclusives and the multi plat XBox is offering one of the best choice we have seen during the same period of time.... and not just on couple of genre.... but most of them if not all..... with, forza, the darkness, over lord, blue dragon, assassin's creed, mass effect, kane and lynch, simpson, GTA 4, mercenarie 2, bioshock, stranglehold, tony hawk, naruto, halo 3, COD4 and all the sports game, rock band, viva pinata party etc.... don't tell me the line up is not Fing awesome... that's pure heresy..... and that's not being a fanboy to say it..... it's just being realistic..... and it doesn't mean it wills sell either..... but if you don't like the line up either you are either a 100% WII fan and then I understand (and I have nothing against it).... or you are simply not made for video games and should find a new hobby....

If it is such an unbelieveable lineup which everyone should recognize its greatness why is the XBox 360 not selling better? Just because it suits your tastes doesn't make it a great line-up ...

Seriously, in games that have scored 85% or better on Gamerankings.com you have:

1 RPG (and one expansion for that RPG) [Oblivion, Shivering Isles]
5 Shooters [Gears of War, Advanced Warfighter 1+2, Ranbow Six, Call of Duty 2]
1 Zombie Game [Dead Rizing]
1 Fighter [Dead or Alive 4]
3 Racing games [Burnout Revenge, Project Gotham Racing 3, Forza 2]
Fight Night Round 3, Castlevania, and Geometry Wars

For a system that has been out for 18 months you think they would have a few more genres well covered ...

mrstickball said:
Diomedes. To be fair, the X360 is selling at the same rate as the Xbox, despite being litterally twice as expensive.. People invision the X360 and Xbox on some magical playingfield that says that all that matters is that it's selling the same. Should it really? 6 months in, the Xbox was $200, after a $100 price drop. 19 months in, the X360 gets a price drop, and it's sold the same as the Xbox did worldwide (or about 10% better), despite being $400 USD for the normal model.

/cry

Today I have to jump on the 360 bandwagon for this particular thread because I disagree, was hoping for more support from mr stick lol

IMO I disagree with this notion that 360 is in so much trouble. How is it that we can say the 360 is in trouble when monthly it is WIDENING its gap worldwide vs the PS3? Am I the only one who doesn't exactly consider the 360 to be on its last "leg" until the PS3 actually starts to GAIN some ground? I mean cmon! We are basically saying 360 needs to get in gear based on a hypothetical issue that MIGHT happen in which the PS3 starts to move some substantial units. Right now we know the Wii is in its own little world, so when I look and judge the 360's success I look at profitability and sales vs its clear cut competitor the PS3. It had a 1 year head start and has managed to consistently fend off the PS3 worldwide month to month despite being an almost non issue in Japan.

People talk about how the PS3 is going to eventually start to kick up and go, and yes, it will. MGS4 and FF will be huge, but Jesus, it will just be cancelled out by the enormous amounts of massive damage Halo GTA and others are about to do THIS year. I dont know man, I just have a serious problem with saying the 360 is in a make or break situation based on some stuff people have been saying the last 8 months that HASNT come to pass. Ill start to worry about MS's stronghold on (1st or 2nd) place this gen when the PS3 begins to show itself as an actual threat. Im just not going to do that while the multiplats are better on 360, from the extra content to the framerates. Theres just no way. And dont even get me started on the fact that it will undoubtly reach that magic $199 alot faster than the PS3, and thats where the gens seem to REALLY be decided. 

HappySqurriel said:
endimion said:

If it is such an unbelieveable lineup which everyone should recognize its greatness why is the XBox 360 not selling better? Just because it suits your tastes doesn't make it a great line-up ...

Seriously, in games that have scored 85% or better on Gamerankings.com you have:

For a system that has been out for 18 months you think they would have a few more genres well covered ...

???? what are you trying to prove ???? that the consumer is not aware enough ???? if tomorrow consumers are doing educated choices... I am out of work.... when i'll start to judge a game or anything else by public ratio it's going to be heaven on earth.....

i can do the same example again and again, why windows is the most used OS in the world it's not the best and it's not the cheapest..... why Dreamcast didn't work when it was one of the best system out there.... why mcdonald's is doing better that better quality fastfood..... it just doesn't make sense but it's the way it is...... and you want to know why.... because you have thousands of people like me around the world paid to make sure that it's mcdies doing better or windows or  anything that put the means to it..... exactly what sony did when PS1 came out.....

and what you are saying doesn't make sens also because even if it has been 18 month and just that few games are considered good, it's still the best you can find out there right now though..... so even if it's not that much, you don't have better elsewhere....  

but before continuing on that road just tell me in your opinion which chrismas line up has been better in the past... i'd like to know????? 

endimion said:
HappySqurriel said:
endimion said:

???? what are you trying to prove ???? that the consumer is not aware enough ???? if tomorrow consumers are doing educated choices... I am out of work.... when i'll start to judge a game or anything else by public ratio it's going to be heaven on earth.....

i can do the same example again and again, why windows is the most used OS in the world it's not the best and it's not the cheapest..... why Dreamcast didn't work when it was one of the best system out there.... why mcdonald's is doing better that better quality fastfood..... it just doesn't make sense but it's the way it is...... and you want to know why.... because you have thousands of people like me around the world paid to make sure that it's mcdies doing better or windows or  anything that put the means to it..... exactly what sony did when PS1 came out.....

and what you are saying doesn't make sens also because even if it has been 18 month and just that few games are considered good, it's still the best you can find out there right now though..... so even if it's not that much, you don't have better elsewhere....  

but before continuing on that road just tell me in your opinion which chrismas line up has been better in the past... i'd like to know????? 

I can't say what would be the best line-up for everyone, or the best line-up for you but in 2004 every company seemed to release a sequel to their major games and many popular genres began that year... The PS2 had Metal Gear Solid 3, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Katamari Damacy, Jak 3, Viewtiful Joe 2, Prince of Persia 2 the Warrior within, Burnout 3 and Alien Hominid.

Those were all were games that scored more that 80%+ (most over 85%) on Gamerankings and were released in October, November or December of 2004. The only reason the PS2 didn't break records that year was Halo 2, Metroid Prime 2, Half-LIfe 2, and World of Warcraft were all released at the exact same time.

What made the PS2 so good that year was that there was an excellent quality game for EVERYONE, not just FPS and Racing game fans.