By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Critical Xmas for the Xbox360 ???

endimion said:
Xbox was a lost cause anyway... the market configuration is different.. and that article is totally missing the point of what is up to come.... they are 100% right on the analysis of the first half, but completely wild guessing the second half with a clear preference for PS3.... once again the MS strategy is yet to be unfolded... and I would be more worried about PS3.... because if any big cut is coming on MS side for 2007 that's going to be a big blow for PS3 and sony that can't really afford to follow it....

with XB they showed they can do a gaming system with good games.... with XB360 they will install a strong fan base and with the next gen they'll take it all.... things work by three with MS lol :)

but i'm pretty sure the stress is higher at sony PS marketing dept than MS XB dept right now..... october the final blow of the year is going to fall.... and it's going to be dreadful....

Bro this isnt an opera, I cant understand a thing your sayin talk in english :P

mM
Around the Network

I cant believe how anti-360 that article was.

Reading it is all doom and gloom for 360. I wonder if these guys noticed 360 is outselling PS3 2-1 every NPD?

BTW, articles have been predicting Xbox is dead since six years ago when Xbox1 came out. It never happens. 360 is in a better position than ever, both from a profitablity, games, and sales perspective.

I agree with that article .If the PS3 for example ,even with a "clearance sale " with a price reduction only for christmas season ,can keep the pace with the 360 in North America then the 360 will see itself in problems worlwide ,as the PS3 will kick its ass in both Europe and Japan by a great degree.It could reduce the sales difference in 2 millions only with the Christmas sales in those territories .Then we have teh Wii ,wich in 3 weeks will have passed the 360 total hardware sold ...if it makes a killing in christmas as well and passes the 360 in NA then Microsoft will lose the PR propaganda about being the most established and lead plattform ,how well they are selling ,how their strategy have paid results etc ....it will be seen in a different light and in direct competition with the PS3 wich sells more in most of the markets outside NA .

Diomedes1976 said:
I agree with that article .If the PS3 for example ,even with a "clearance sale " with a price reduction only for christmas season ,can keep the pace with the 360 in North America then the 360 will see itself in problems worlwide ,as the PS3 will kick its ass in both Europe and Japan by a great degree.It could reduce the sales difference in 2 millions only with the Christmas sales in those territories .Then we have teh Wii ,wich in 3 weeks will have passed the 360 total hardware sold ...if it makes a killing in christmas as well and passes the 360 in NA then Microsoft will lose the PR propaganda about being the most established and lead plattform ,how well they are selling ,how their strategy have paid results etc ....it will be seen in a different light and in direct competition with the PS3 wich sells more in most of the markets outside NA .

How many times does it have to be said that we don't yet know if the PS3 is keeping pace with the 360? We have two weeks of sales data after the price reduction of the 60 GB PS3, it could be simply a peak...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Outselling it when its $100 cheaper is expected it sould really be selling it 3-1 or 4-1 if its really the system that MS says it is(i.e.Biggest game library,cheap,got the best games).The article does say the truth it really is Make or Break for the X360 this year last year wasnt because PS3 and Wii where new to the market but they have now been out a year and if the X360 cant outsell either of them then it will be the XB all over again BUT if it CAN outsell the competion then maybe it can come out second this gen because i think everyone can agree the Wii will probably win this gen.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
Diomedes1976 said:

How many times does it have to be said that we don't yet know if the PS3 is keeping pace with the 360? We have two weeks of sales data after the price reduction of the 60 GB PS3, it could be simply a peak...

Yeah and I compared NPD's and like I said 360 has been outselling PS3 by 100k most months. 1.4 million overall, since PS3 was launched. June NPD's it was 99,000 gain for 360.

So, if PS3 wins July, which I admit it might, it will probably be by like 20,000, which is a drop in the bucket, and then in August 360 will probably go right back to winning. PS3 has way to much work to do to ever catch up like that.

And Europe, we dont really know how they're doing. PS3 isn't doing much better than 360. Sony admitted shipping only 710,000 to retailers last quarter. That puts them at about 100k a month in Europe or less.

There is a valid concern here. Microsoft probably expected to own this year outright. They expected to face only Sony and their ultra expensive machine. Nintendo being a distant third place that would do well for a few months. However that did not happen. Nintendo is stealing up the market Microsoft thought they were just going to have. Some of those people that bought a Wii would have bought the 360 instead, but did not. They had ample reason not to. The Wii was novel, cheap, and had a decent lineup. What did the 360 have to show for that time nothing except bad publicity from breaking machines.

Do not get me wrong Sony had a worse year, but with production costs going down these two heavy weights are going to be pound for pound competitors in less then a year. To be plain they will cost about the same amount of money. Microsoft will have lost their price advantage for the most part. Microsoft is living on borrowed time as it were, and worse they are not even defending their position against Nintendo. The longer they let the price gap exist the worse off they are.

The question is not how much better they did then Sony. The question is how well should they have done, and well they should be doing. Microsoft needs to start competing on the price front now rather then even a month from now, and they need to be serious. Every month makes their situation worse and not better. Thats more time for Nintendo to eat up more of the precious market, and more time for Sony to establish a base.

I can about guarantee if they got within range of the the Wii on the price front their sales would pick up drastically, and they would develop serious momentum. That is the sweet spot for the market, and the longer they take getting there the worse their situation will be. The article is talking to this problem. Microsoft is under performing when it should not be. They have languished most of the year, and that has only served Nintendo, and it has allowed Sony to hang around.

When you see Microsoft procrastinating on the next logical step entering the casual market by lowering their price. You have to ask what has happened have they simply ran out of steam. They are letting Nintendo run forward unchecked and letting Sony inch back in. They might want to cut losses at this point, but they are setting the ground work for the next five years. Right now it are the other two surging ahead while Microsoft has sputtered to a crawl.

This is a race and it feels like Microsoft really has spent the last six months catching its breath. That is a problem this is a critical holiday for all three. Nintendo needs to prove it can keep that momentum. Sony needs to get its act together and hang in. Microsoft needs to go mainstream, and become this seasons Nintendo. Now if Microsoft can pull that off with a great lineup and a better price they might do themselves a world of good and save their console.

Nintendo isnt at TGS apparently.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

The article has one fault and it is that it compared shipped consols instead of sold consols. Microsoft stuffed the consols before the end of 2006. As Sharky has pointed out xbox360 is still in a lead in USA against the PS3. Of course this might change for the next month but who knows?

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

Yes and it will fail this xmas. It will lose market share to both competitors, 360 will only do well in Na while it will struggle in Europe and do badly in Japan and all other regions.