By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will PS3 beat 360 in WW sales for 2008?

goddog said:
perpride said:
I say: Where's Squilliam?

on topic: I think that the PS3 will just barely beat 360 this year. Maybe a difference of 5-6 hundred thousand. That is still pretty sad considering back in January I thought PS3 would have cut into the 360's lead by at least 2 million.

he might still have troubles getting on the site, i was unable to connect for 8 hours 

I thought that was just my shitty internet connection! It's been going on for like 24 hours, wat's happening?

Around the Network

The 360 would need to get around a 2:1 sales split in its favor and have the extra systems available, I really don't see this happening.

I see the PS3 on top at the end of the year.

4 ≈ One

Well, last year the 360 outsold the PS3 by 700k in NA for the months of Nov-Dec. The 360 is also outselling the PS3 in EU right now.
It could easily gain a million on the PS3, especialy if the $199 arcade model is a strong seller.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

1 million in 7 weeks, i dont think so but anything can happen.

Around the Network

A couple months ago and this thread would have been a joke. PS3 will most likely sell more.

I think that they will finally. Barely.

Being a very distant second is nothing to brag about though. Let's face it. If this were sports they'd be fighting to get out of the cellar.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

There are 8 weeks of sales left, that's plenty of time for the 360 to gain back some ground. Perhaps not as much as it needs for overtaking the PS3 in 2008 sales, but close.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

It depends on what you mean by beat.  In raw numbers, no.  Microsoft will edge out a slight victory as it appears they are pushing for a much larger media/promotion blitz this holiday season.  Paired with the shrinking wallets of consumers they will opt for the cheaper system.  They both have identical libraries, relatively speaking(each top exclusiveof each console has a competeing game just as good).  I am personally expecting much larger numbers for MSFT, especially the week of black friday(where are the ps3 bundle specials???)

Now, IMO, if the total # of consoles sold are within 5% of each other it is a virtual tie.  It isnt a "clear" win.  Does look for a close race to the end of the year however.

perpride said:
I say: Where's Squilliam?

on topic: I think that the PS3 will just barely beat 360 this year. Maybe a difference of 5-6 hundred thousand. That is still pretty sad considering back in January I thought PS3 would have cut into the 360's lead by at least 2 million.

We don't have the data unfortunately. NPD is the significant factor here. If November is identical to October then theres a decent chance the 360 will pass the PS3 in units moved this year. Im not distrusting the Vgchartz numbers im just trusting NPD more when there is a more significant upheavel in the market, such as a change in price etc causing different demographics to purchase the console in places we don't track such as Walmart, well until the formulas can be adjusted.

Others looks like the same deal to me between them and Japan is becoming more and more insignificant to the race every year. So this is really about who moves the most consoles in Americas

Btw: The numbers the console companies are going to tout are the financial year numbers and its pretty much assured that the 360 will take those. Calander years are for the general public (Us) to use.

Tease.