By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Playstation 3 Chage - What Sony Needs to Do

1- MKV
2- Ps2 games in the store
3- Unread Mail Symbol w/number

Do these 3 and I'm happy :3

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

Oh, another thing. Sony needs to realise that there is a world outside America.

They have sold more consoles outside America than they have inside it. Significantly more. Why must they keep focusing on America and America only?

1) The Video Store is only available in America
2) Almost everything gets released in America first
3) Advertising is almost non-existent outside America
4) Many betas are limited to America
5) The American PS Store is much better than all others.

Why?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

The only thing on there that I saw that I really wanted was the .MKV support. I used to think Backwards compatibility was important but out of the few PS2 games I have played on my PS3 they look too awful to really enjoy, and nowadays there are so many PS3 games I want that I don't have so I have no time for PS2 games.

i really couldn't care less about backward compatibility because, I, unlike most cheap bastards, bought a 60gb PS3.

I'm not a $400 40 gig bandwagon jumper. I always get a chuckle when people complain about no BC because I know i have it.

Back on topic: I agree with most of them. Especially about not being able to read mail while watching a movie thats just dumb. And things like in game chat, etc were all good as well.

coolestguyever said:
i really couldn't care less about backward compatibility because, I, unlike most cheap bastards, bought a 60gb PS3.

I'm not a $400 40 gig bandwagon jumper. I always get a chuckle when people complain about no BC because I know i have it.

Back on topic: I agree with most of them. Especially about not being able to read mail while watching a movie thats just dumb. And things like in game chat, etc were all good as well.

Isn't there ingame chat in a few games?

Around the Network

Any change that is for the purpose of making the PS3 rival the Wii in sales, or to get the total lifetime sales of the PS3 to the level of the PS2, will fail to have the expected impact. Where Sony needs to focus their efforts is getting out of this generation on a positive note in order to strengthen their position for the next generation.

1. Sony needs to reduce the price of the PS3 to $300 in mid-2009 and then needs to follow this up with another price reduction to $200 for Christmas 2010.
  2. Sony needs to focus on the quality of Sony published games; although they have released many great games they simply can’t waste the development and marketing budgets on games like Genji, Lair, and their NBA games.
  3. Sony needs to return to "wooing" third party publishers because they’re no longer the dominant force in the industry and they can’t assume publishers will auto-magically support them.

Here are some features i want to see.

- in-game browser support.
- shrink the in-game XMB / make it faster. Do we need a photo tab if we can view photo's ? Do we need a video tab if we can't see video's? etc.
- Move the controller battery charge amount down a little so it isn't covering up the clock.

As for price drops -- While PS3 could benefit from a price drop soon imho SONY needs to start making $$$ off PS3 first. If they can make a small profit this fiscal year in their game section then drop the price by $50 for the sales boost while maintaining profitability i think its for the best in the long run.

At this point their is no way SONY can compete with M$ on price -- 60gb 360's are cheaper than Wii's at RRP... not to mention after you add in retailer promotions / bundles ... the only thing 360 struggles with the damn WiFi connector price...

what the PS3 needs:
1) Price Cut
2) Better Marketing(like the PS3 octopus from last year)
3) Securing Exclusives