By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Unpopular prediction #2. The Xbox 360 will outsell the PS3 Q1/Q2 2009.

Ender said:

Really it all depends if/when Sony decides to drop the price.

That being said, the older a gen gets, the less new releases sell systems, since consoles already have quite a few quality titles. For instance, I have a friend who bought a 360 last week with halo 3. He doesn't care about the hot new releases, he just wants to play a game he's heard is good. I think some posters forget that most buyers are like my friend.

I do think the blu-ray is a nice difference maker for sony, and will increasingly help drive their sales, particularly if MS doesn't match their price cut(s).

Speaking of MS price cuts - when they decide to do another one, I bet they'll discontinue the arcade model and make the pro $199.

I bet the next price cut will make their SKUs priced as follows-

Elite- $350

Pro-$250

Arcade- $150

This might even force Nintendo to have a $50 price cut. I don't really know.

Around the Network

the legendary squilaim, it will not hapen 2009 will belong to the ps3!

There are too man unknown things to predict something like this.

1. IMO the netflix deal could be a system-seller in a certain way. It won't be THAT big, but it could help sales pretty decent
  2. Will Sony cut the price? well looking at the latest sales, they should. but can they afford it? The PS3 lost 400-500 million Dollars in the last 3 months. They might break even next year, but a price-cut would bring the PS3 even deeper in the reds.
  3. Will Killzone2 be a system seller or a flop like the first one? (it didn't match predictions and wasn't a Halo killer at all)

We will see what happens. But I keeo my fingers crossed, your prediction will be right.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

I am willing to take you on with your prediction by claiming that the PS3 will sell more hardware in Q1/Q2 2009. Willing to put anything on the line? Your signature, possibly a ban?

The PS3 will have a price cut in Q2 and will outsell the 360.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

Around the Network
ogaf thread dondolemit3 said:
The PS3 will have a price cut in Q2 and will outsell the 360.

oh rumored PS3 price cut , rumored to be a price cut after KZ2

if i going  to spike sales, i will do right now, not in Q1 2009, when sales are down

and people that need ps3 already switched side to bought cheaper xbox 360 this holiday

Its going to be interesting, theres no point in making predictions which are too hard or too certain. Its nice to have some unpredictability to really throw your expectations out the window when reality hits.

Tease.

I think Q1 will work in you're favor Kurk Avatar dude. I'm pulling for PS3 in Q2 though.

4 ≈ One

Skeeuk said:
theres no pricing waggle room left for 360, if ps3 sales can keep up with 360 saless this fal, im sure it will. then price cuts on ps3 in 2009 wll move big numbers. theres more demand for a ps3e than a 360, 360 pre major price cut sales r proof of that.............i predict in 2009 360 will again become stagnanted in demand like it was this year, chuck in a cheaper ps3 compared to this year which wud make it much more affordable.........its a sure winner..................a 249 or a 239 ps3 in the uk would be amazing

Sure there is waggle room for price with the 360. In fact, logically there's more waggle room for them than there is for PS3 since they are not losing money on console sales, while the PS3 still is.

If Sony cuts their price, Microsoft will drop the Arcade to $149 and the Pro to $249. And I would be shocked if we don't see a $99 Arcade by the end of this console life cycle.

---------

And crazyman, it's a bit silly to list every single PS3 exclusive of the quarter but only list two 360 exclusives and say that the PS3 has more.

The real list:

PS3: Resistance 2, LBP, Valkyria Chronicles, SOCOM, Naruto: UNS, Motorstorm: Pacific Rift.

360: Gears 2, Banjo, Fable 2, Last Remnant, Left 4 Dead, Naruto: The Broken Bond, Lips

Looks a lot less uneven now, eh? Also, just as a fun fact, Gears 2 has outsold every game on the PS3's list combined. Even Fable 2 is a measly 82K away from outselling every game on the PS3's list combined. So clearly Halo 3 isn't the only game Xbox fans are buying like "zombies".

LEFT 4 DEAD - November 17th

Sorry, no. Killzone 2 + inFamous + price cut + god of war 3 (maybe) + FFXIII in Japan (not happening I know)+fat princess = win.

EDIT: Fat Princess comes out on PSN Q1 2009.

By which I mean of course that Squilliam will be right!

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective