By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I am not a hater, but Wii is not moving software

Sonic Unleashed shall be the ultimate test. Put all the chips on the table, baby!

Around the Network

"Okay, this week is not that representitive"

Quite true.

ConsoleWeeklyTotalTie Ratio
4,414,782 (+48%) 165,003,939 7.32
2,999,005 (-3%) 183,466,168 5.10
2,427,271 (+12%) 84,256,247 5.04

"You can never jump away from Conclusions. Getting back is not so easy. That's why we're so terribly crowded here."

Canby - The Phantom Tollbooth

the Wii, selling software??

let's say Wii Play/Sports doesn't count:

Wii Fit: 10m

Mario Kart Wii : 9.5m

Super Smash Bros Brawl: 7.3m

Super Mario Galaxy: 7.3m

Mario and Sonic: 5.8m

Mario Party 8: 5.6m

Zelda: Twilight Princess: 4.9m

also, Wii Sports/Wii Play should count, people are paying in order to buy them, they are not free!!!

No Sony/Ms games on Ps3/Xbox360 sold like this, so it's really stupid to say the Wii doesn't sell software, it does, even during this period, with no big releases!!

Wii games are selling slow and steady, worthy 3rd parties like Resident Evil, Star Wars, Boom Blox, Tales of Symphonia, MySims, RedSteel and so on are selling well, i don't think there is a problem!!

also, 2009 is the year of the Wii!!

Wii console: 0595 8808 5698 2709
Super Smash Bros Brawl: 1161 1357 5188

Mario Kart Wii: 1633 4506 4319

PES 2008: 1633 5820 0347

DragonBall Z BT 3: 3823 9760 9484

Pokemon Battle Revolution: 3480 2645 9186
Feel free to add me, and sent me a pm with your Friend Code!!

Also, I can see taking Wii Play out, most people buy it for the controller.

But people are buying Mario Kart for ... the wheel?

(Yeah, now I have a piece of plastic to use for all of the 3rd party racing games! Oh and I might play the game that came with it occasionally...)

"You can never jump away from Conclusions. Getting back is not so easy. That's why we're so terribly crowded here."

Leni said:

let's say Wii Play doesn't count:

No Sony/Ms games on Ps3/Xbox360 sold like this, so it's really stupid to say the Wii doesn't sell software, it does, even during this period, with no big releases!!

Wii games are selling slow and steady, worthy 3rd parties like Resident Evil, Star Wars, Boom Blox, Tales of Symphonia and so on are selling well, i don't think there is a problem!!

• Halo3  8.4m
  • Call of Duty4  10.3m (PS360)
  • GTA IV  11m (PS360)
  • Gears of War 5.31m
  • Assassins Creed 6.94m

Well after such a star, what do u think GoW2 might sell?

And the period the Wii isn't selling software is the year 2008 so far... and to be continued? Well the Userbase is like PS3 and Xbox360 combined and the Wii is not selling the software like the PS3 and the XBox360 combined.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network
c0rd said:
Kulle said:

@c0rd

Actually, it has not been disproven. Some spin graph from nintendo does not equal proof. Let's see the LTD numbers after this christmas and count them as proof, ok? :)

And I am talking about third parties here.

Sure, compare away. You aren't going to use VGC numbers for software totals, I hope. It even clearly says, "Note that software figures are largely incomplete."

Besides, how is the NPD graph they provided "spin?" Do you really think the Wii won't continue to move more software when its userbase is growing as fast as it is? You can hope all you want that the attach rate will go down, but it isn't going to happen.

As for your later comments (Quantum of Solace) - simple. The game is seen as inferior to its HD counterpart. If companies want to do well on the Wii, they need to take a different approach. Not only that, games tend to debut lower on the Wii as it is.

People are making these ridiculous threads now just because certain game launches light up the charts... they seem to forget that the Wii sells software at high levels all year long.

Yeah yeah, why are you on this site if you don't trust vgc numbers at all? :)

It is a spin because that does not reflect current situation at all. From that, you could get an impression that wii is selling more third party software than the 360 which is not the case at the moment. It is currently selling a little more than 360 did one year ago.

So qos did not sell well because it had bad reviews? So did wii play,carnival games,game party etc and some people say that they are selling.. well anyway, how about madden? sw:tfu? fifa? Some of the latest 360/wii multiplatforms. If you know any current (released within 3 months) games that have sold better on the wii than 360 let me know. Heck, even lego indiana jones is showing better legs on 360 than on the wii. That is surprising! I thought wii was the platformer console of this gen.

DirtyP2002 said:
Leni said:

let's say Wii Play doesn't count:

Wii games are selling slow and steady, worthy 3rd parties like Resident Evil, Star Wars, Boom Blox, Tales of Symphonia and so on are selling well, i don't think there is a problem!!

• Halo3 8.4m
  • Call of Duty4 10.3m (PS360)
  • GTA IV 11m (PS360)
  • Gears of War 5.31m
  • Assassins Creed 6.94m

Well after such a star, what do u think GoW2 might sell?

And the period the Wii isn't selling software is the year 2008 so far... and to be continued? Well the Userbase is like PS3 and Xbox360 combined and the Wii is not selling the software like the PS3 and the XBox360 combined.

Wait, what? "The period the Wii isn't selling software is the year 2008"? Wii Fit, Mario Kart Wii and Brawl, the top 3 sellers on the Wii(discounting Wii Sports and Wii Play, in your favor), and two of them being the top two sellers THIS GEN(counting only one version of course) were all released during 2008. You HAVE to be kidding, right?

For the recent times, you have a good point. Look at this.

I will exclude Wii Sports in the below, even though I personally feel it is wrong to do that. I'm also using VGChartz data here, which has proven to be incomplete for Wii and 360 data. Wii has shipped 229M, so should have sold 200, meaning that the real numer is probably a bit higher. Roughly the same should be the case for the 360.

Software sold in the last 12 months

Wii - 117.5M - 41.4%

X360 - 98M - 34.5%

Ps3 - 68.2M - 24.1%

Software in the last 6 months

Wii - 50.6M - 40.2%

X360 - 42.8M - 34%

Ps3 -  32.4M - 25.75%

Software in the last 3 months

Wii - 25.2M - 37%

X360 - 25.5M - 37.4%

Ps3 - 17.5M - 25.6%

Last month (5 weeks)

Wii - 11.3M - 35.3%

X360 -  12.5M - 39%

Ps3 -  8.2M - 25.6%

So you can clearly see a trend here. And the trend is actually even worse, as if I had done it in 3 months each time only, the drop would have been even bigger (from ~ 43% to 35%).

This is even worse, as the Wii has been gaining a lot more of the market share in hardware.

Of course, if you add Wii sports into this, it becomes a lot better for Wii. Then it would still be at above 40%, but still, a very steep drop.

If you look at it though, there are several reasons.

- The 360 is increasing in software very fast, it isn't certain if the Wii is really selling bad, or if the 360 is just selling fantastic. Maybe a mix of both, as Ps3 seems to stand still.

- The Wii has had nearly no mass appeal games out. Wii Fit + Mario Kart accounts for 18% of the Wiis software sales in the last month, and they are now edging close to being 10% of the Wiis total software sales.

So to finish of, OP is correct. The Wii is no longer the software giant it was a year, or 9 months ago.

(And yes, I am aware that this post is twice the length of the OP, sorry!)

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Kulle said:

It is a spin because that does not reflect current situation at all. From that, you could get an impression that wii is selling more third party software than the 360 which is not the case at the moment. It is currently selling a little more than 360 did one year ago.

So qos did not sell well because it had bad reviews? So did wii play,carnival games,game party etc and some people say that they are selling.. well anyway, how about madden? sw:tfu? fifa? Some of the latest 360/wii multiplatforms. If you know any current (released within 3 months) games that have sold better on the wii than 360 let me know. Heck, even lego indiana jones is showing better legs on 360 than on the wii. That is surprising! I thought wii was the platformer console of this gen.

Really now...

Do you think the official bundle has anything to do with that sudden interest in the game?

lapsed_gamer said:
Kulle said:

Really now...

Do you think the official bundle has anything to do with that sudden interest in the game?

So are you saying that bundled software should not count? Ok.