By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I am not a hater, but Wii is not moving software

DirtyP2002 said:

Okay guys,

First of all: I like Nintendo. I had a N64 and had a great time with it. I love Zelda-games, but the Wii is not my type of console. I just don't like the controlls.

I know, the Wii is selling an insane amount of hardware and I am happy for Big N, but software is a whole other story.

Talking about software, the Wii sold 3million units, the PS3 2.4 million and the Xbox360 4.4 million.

Okay, this week is not that representitive, because Gears was a great success for MS and the Xbox 360.

So checking Wii Software: Wii Sports sold 500k, that game is bundled with every sold Wii from the very first beginning. So you can't say Big N sold this software. Same for Wii Play, which "sold" 200k and is buindled with every controller. So the "real" amount of software sold is 2.3 million. That is less than the PS3 sold on a far lower Userbase. I know Mari Kart and Wii Fit are selling like crazy, but thats another point. Almost every successfull Wii game comes with hardware. The first Wii game that is just a game and NOT bundled with any kind of hardware is Wii Music and it is at 38... Always keep in my mind what amount of Software PS3 or even better Xbox360 would have sold an such a great Userbase.

Things are not looking great for other publishers except Nintendo. Besides GH:WT (bundled with hardware) there is one (!!!) other game in the top 50, that is not published by Nintendo, ranked 50th.

Animal Crossing will sell like crazy, but mostly in Japan I guess. And just one game for a holiday-season is not that great. The hardware will keep on selling, but software is really behind my expectations. So this is not a "Wii is doomed thread!"

Make your homework first. Controllers can be bought without buying Wii-Play. If you would get Wii-Play with every controller, than I think it would have sold more than Wii-Sport.

Around the Network
DirtyP2002 said:

Why give reasonable reply when you can say stupid stuff and try to be funny?

Another question, why does the Wii have 29 million sellers 15 (16 if you count Sonic / Mario) published by Big N and the Xbox 360 47 million sellers (11 published by MS). Of course the Wii has a 13.5 million (!!!) larger Userbase. They should have significantly more million sellers shouldn't they?

Please poit out, where I am wrong.

*edit* 5 of the 29 million seller are bundled with hardware in any form.

First of all u cant say 5 are bundled, i mean wii fit and mario kart should be counted as games, and bundling a part is just part of the game! like saying GH and Rockband arent games, thats just crazy!

Second Big N is by far the best 1st party supporter, and has given everything to establish that figure, and there are alot more to come from them, so we cant just compare 1st party between both companies, cuz its somewhat incomparable, and 3rd party are starting to arive, you'll see.

Finally, this week wasnt good for Nintendo by all means, but lets not forget that big releases have been on HD consoles, so its normal for the software ratios to decline on the wii. the 360 and PS3 have had: LBP, GoW2, FC2, Fallout3, Rockband2(yet to be released on Wii), Fable2, PES2009,Fifa2009, Midnight club, Resistance 2, and Deadspace... not to mention all the multiplatform games that do well on HD consoles and not on Wii...

But the Wii still has Rockband2, Animal Crossing, Rayman, Sonic unleashed, and tales of sympphony. These will be good softeware movers for the Wii. Lets not forget that Nintendo games shine in Holidays, like wii fit and MK dominating, but also Brawl, Galaxy, Wii music, Mario Party and other 3rd party games like Carnival games, Game party, mario and Sonic, Deca sport, Guitar Hero, COD5, Rockband2 and many more. You wait and see who'll be software king by the end of this year.

And @ Kulle

Lego indiana has recently been bundled on the 360, if it werent then the legs on the Wii were far superior. Lego games are selling best on Wii by far lets not forget that

DirtyP2002 said:

Okay guys,

First of all: I like Nintendo. I had a N64 and had a great time with it. I love Zelda-games, but the Wii is not my type of console. I just don't like the controlls.

I know, the Wii is selling an insane amount of hardware and I am happy for Big N, but software is a whole other story.

Talking about software, the Wii sold 3million units, the PS3 2.4 million and the Xbox360 4.4 million.

Okay, this week is not that representitive, because Gears was a great success for MS and the Xbox 360.

So checking Wii Software: Wii Sports sold 500k, that game is bundled with every sold Wii from the very first beginning. So you can't say Big N sold this software. Same for Wii Play, which "sold" 200k and is buindled with every controller. So the "real" amount of software sold is 2.3 million. That is less than the PS3 sold on a far lower Userbase. I know Mari Kart and Wii Fit are selling like crazy, but thats another point. Almost every successfull Wii game comes with hardware. The first Wii game that is just a game and NOT bundled with any kind of hardware is Wii Music and it is at 38... Always keep in my mind what amount of Software PS3 or even better Xbox360 would have sold an such a great Userbase.

Things are not looking great for other publishers except Nintendo. Besides GH:WT (bundled with hardware) there is one (!!!) other game in the top 50, that is not published by Nintendo, ranked 50th.

Animal Crossing will sell like crazy, but mostly in Japan I guess. And just one game for a holiday-season is not that great. The hardware will keep on selling, but software is really behind my expectations. So this is not a "Wii is doomed thread!"

Wow talk about going way off topic in your own opening post.  Makes me wonder whether you aren't really a Wii Hater.

On topic I agree with you that Wii is struggling to move software which isn't off a certain type (party games, Mario, Zelda, etc).  A game like Metroid Prime 3 would probably have sold like 5 million on 360 but on Wii just manages decent sales.  And that is one of Nintendo's flagship titles.   If it was made by a 3rd party its sales would have been even worse than they are. 

However, it might be too early to judge and there is the possibility that we would never even get the chance to make a decent assessment as to whether Wii can move software (ignoring party games and the huge Nintendo franchises).  If you look at PS360 they regularly get games which get very good sales.  But this is because they regularly get big games from 3rd parties.  Wii on the other hand only seems to get PS2 ports and/or shovelware or gimped versions of games on PS360.  Look at the sales of Bioshock on PS3.  It's sales are shockingly bad yet it's one of the most highly regarded games this gen.  But that is excused by PS3 fans as being due to the fact that it is a yr old bad port of a 360 game.  Yet the same people point to Okami Wii sales as evidence that 3rd party games don't sell on Wii.  At least the Wii sales are close to if not in excess of the PS2 sales.  Bioshock PS3 sales will end up like a tenth of 360 sales.  Is that evidence that there is no hope for 3rd parties on the PS3? 

I think Conduit will be a very good litmus test for whether there is huge profits available on the Wii available to 3rd parties outside party games (e.g. Game Party, Smarty Pants) or niche cheap to make games (e.g. No More Heroes, Zak & Wiki -  games that haven't achieved gang buster sales but have clearly made their developers a tidy profit).  If it gets very good reviews and doesn't sell well then I think we might as well give up on 3rd parties bringing their big guns to the Wii. 

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

http://vgchartz.com/weekly.php?date=39740&console=&maker=&boxartz=1/

PS3 and 360 got huge releases with PES 2009, Dead Space, and Saints Row 2. There was no major Wii release this week. The Wii sold more software than the 360 even taking away Wii Sports (you don't take out Wii Play. It's not packed in with every controller.)

The Wii consistently outsells the 360 and PS3 in software. Did you wait all year for Gears 2 to release to make this topic? Cause any other time of the year you would have looked foolish. Except you still do now, because it's plainly obvious that you are making a completely invalid and nonsensical comparison.

Nintendo shipped 230 million copies of software until September 30 and they expect to ship an additional 119 million (without Wii Sports) until March 31 2009, so it is moving more than enough software.

Around the Network

Firstly - there is NO correlation between install base and software sales. If anything, its almost the opposite. How much software did the PS2 sell this week? How about the GBA? And worldwide, the PSP has an install base almost 3x that of the PS3... and so what software-wise?

Secondly - if you are talking *specifically* for this week, then yes - you are right. But that is NOT enough data to extend that into a "Wii does not move software" theory - in fact, its completely incorrect.

Thirdly - its only *slightly* biased if you don't take into account the number of new releases that each platform has received over the last month or so. Slightly of course, in this case meaning "completely".

The current weekly charts say this:

Ratio
4,414,782 (+48%) 165,003,939 7.32
2,999,005 (-3%) 183,466,168 5.10
2,616,560 (+30%) 307,449,759 3.61
2,427,271 (+12%) 84,256,247 5.04

Note the bit about the "total software sales" - even if you subtract WiiSports & WiiPlay (which is not fair - firstly because Nintendo do SELL and make money off WiiSports - and even more so with WiiPlay) - the Wii is still considerably ahead of the PS3, and almost on par with the 360.

So... if the Wii doesn't move software, then the same theory applies 2x to the PS3. And considering that the 360 has had a year start - based on "per-year sales", the Wii is easily beating both the HD consoles.

Theory completely debunked.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Kulle said:
c0rd said:

Sure, compare away. You aren't going to use VGC numbers for software totals, I hope. It even clearly says, "Note that software figures are largely incomplete."

Besides, how is the NPD graph they provided "spin?" Do you really think the Wii won't continue to move more software when its userbase is growing as fast as it is? You can hope all you want that the attach rate will go down, but it isn't going to happen.

As for your later comments (Quantum of Solace) - simple. The game is seen as inferior to its HD counterpart. If companies want to do well on the Wii, they need to take a different approach. Not only that, games tend to debut lower on the Wii as it is.

People are making these ridiculous threads now just because certain game launches light up the charts... they seem to forget that the Wii sells software at high levels all year long.

Yeah yeah, why are you on this site if you don't trust vgc numbers at all? :)

It is a spin because that does not reflect current situation at all. From that, you could get an impression that wii is selling more third party software than the 360 which is not the case at the moment. It is currently selling a little more than 360 did one year ago.

So qos did not sell well because it had bad reviews? So did wii play,carnival games,game party etc and some people say that they are selling.. well anyway, how about madden? sw:tfu? fifa? Some of the latest 360/wii multiplatforms. If you know any current (released within 3 months) games that have sold better on the wii than 360 let me know. Heck, even lego indiana jones is showing better legs on 360 than on the wii. That is surprising! I thought wii was the platformer console of this gen.

It says the figures are incomplete for the software totals, in particular. Go take a look yourself. Those are the numbers I don't trust.

The chart does not reflect the current situation, no. It shows the trend of how sales may be in the future. So what if the 360 sells more now? If that's all people cared about, nobody would have left the PS2. Besides, I'm not arguing the Wii will outsell both HD consoles in software any time soon, but people are definitely underestimating the amount of software it moves. Either way, it's doing much better than the PS3 at the moment.

As for QoS, I never mentioned reviews in particular. I'm saying, for that particular game, the HD version is superior. The same goes for Madden / other sports (the demographic also favors HD consoles). I honestly don't care much for most multiplatforms in general. If devs want success on the Wii, design it with the Wii in mind. Unfortunately, not too many are actually going to take the "risk." Most of the good third party exclusives are coming 2009.

@Oyvoyvoyv: It looks like the big drop has been in the past 3 months. In that time, the HD consoles have had quite a few titles: Fable/GeoW2, Madden/Fifa/PES, LBP/R2/FO3, in particular. In storms of releases, of course it won't look so good. Even if the Wii had games to fight back with, they aren't very frontloaded.

I *think* the Wii gets better holiday boosts, so it should look better soon. I think this is (relatively) the worst time for the Wii, anyway. Have you looked at its 2007 ratios? It would probably look almost as bad last year, seeing as how Halo 3, sports titles, CoD4 and others launched.

DirtyP2002 said:

Why give reasonable reply when you can say stupid stuff and try to be funny?

Another question, why does the Wii have 29 million sellers 15 (16 if you count Sonic / Mario) published by Big N and the Xbox 360 47 million sellers (11 published by MS). Of course the Wii has a 13.5 million (!!!) larger Userbase. They should have significantly more million sellers shouldn't they?

Please poit out, where I am wrong.

*edit* 5 of the 29 million seller are bundled with hardware in any form.

The XBOX360 was launched a year earlier.

If buying Wii Play shouldn't count, then all the Little Big Planet games sold with a Dual Shock 3 shouldn't count...

But they do. So just let it go people, Wii Play counts.

shams said:

Firstly - there is NO correlation between install base and software sales. If anything, its almost the opposite. How much software did the PS2 sell this week? How about the GBA? And worldwide, the PSP has an install base almost 3x that of the PS3... and so what software-wise?

Secondly - if you are talking *specifically* for this week, then yes - you are right. But that is NOT enough data to extend that into a "Wii does not move software" theory - in fact, its completely incorrect.

Thirdly - its only *slightly* biased if you don't take into account the number of new releases that each platform has received over the last month or so. Slightly of course, in this case meaning "completely".

The current weekly charts say this:

Ratio
4,414,782 (+48%) 165,003,939 7.32
2,999,005 (-3%) 183,466,168 5.10
2,616,560 (+30%) 307,449,759 3.61
2,427,271 (+12%) 84,256,247 5.04

Note the bit about the "total software sales" - even if you subtract WiiSports & WiiPlay (which is not fair - firstly because Nintendo do SELL and make money off WiiSports - and even more so with WiiPlay) - the Wii is still considerably ahead of the PS3, and almost on par with the 360.

So... if the Wii doesn't move software, then the same theory applies 2x to the PS3. And considering that the 360 has had a year start - based on "per-year sales", the Wii is easily beating both the HD consoles.

Theory completely debunked.

You can't be serious with that part, right? you compare the sales of Last Gen software with sales of the current gen and take that as a proof, install base has nothing to do with software-sales? That made you look stupid. Yeah... the bigger the install base, the worse the software-sales... That's why everybody wanted to release the software on the DC a few years ago, right?

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...