By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - For those of you who live in the UK..

What's it like living there exactly? I have always wanted to visit the UK someday and so I've been wondering about the lifestyle there.  

Around the Network

The people are friendly (for the most part), the south think the north is rough/common, the north think the south is all farmers and inbreds. People DO love tea and eating fish and chips.

Also, it's always raining, and everyone always points out that it's always raining in every conversation, even though it's not exactly news.

Prices are extortionate, really extortionate, but people still look down their noses at you when you buy the value price stuff (like 20p tins of beans or the 30p loaves of bread).

Oh, and most Americans dont realise the friction between Welsh, Scottish, Irish and English people. We're all British but only Welsh, Scottish and Irish people hate being called British because they say it erodes their identities. Even though Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland are all part of the same country now...(the UK).

All in all, it is a good place to live (and the TV is miles better than America, far fewer adverts for one thing), but not perfect :D

Oh, and we drink real beers, in properly dingy pubs with football on the telly (that's actual football, not American football which ironically doesn't involve feet). And everyone loves football here.

My Blog, Please Have A Read:

http://Proseandconsoles.blogspot.com

the weather is crap, everything is grey at day time, the people are some of the most unfriendliest people in the world, if you are in the subway all you hear is coughs no one talks, crime is high.

other than that its really great place to live, there is so much variety in foods, night life is great, loads of places to go and see, the country side is beautiful, and i am there, last part could be plus or minus :P

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434
Wiped said:

The people are friendly (for the most part), the south think the north is rough/common, the north think the south is all farmers and inbreds. People DO love tea and eating fish and chips.

Also, it's always raining, and everyone always points out that it's always raining in every conversation, even though it's not exactly news.

Prices are extortionate, really extortionate, but people still look down their noses at you when you buy the value price stuff (like 20p tins of beans or the 30p loaves of bread).

Oh, and most Americans dont realise the friction between Welsh, Scottish, Irish and English people. We're all British but only Welsh, Scottish and Irish people hate being called British because they say it erodes their identities. Even though Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland are all part of the same country now...(the UK).

All in all, it is a good place to live (and the TV is miles better than America, far fewer adverts for one thing), but not perfect :D

Oh, and we drink real beers, in properly dingy pubs with football on the telly (that's actual football, not American football which ironically doesn't involve feet). And everyone loves football here.

What about the schools there? and yeah that's a good thing b/c I don't like commercials appearing every 5 minuites when I'm in the middle of a show

The schools, well it depends whether you go for state schools (free, government-run) or private schools (expensive, privately run). Some state schools are horrible, some are excellent, but the general quality of all schooling is quite high here - the majority of people go on to college/6th form (ages 16-18, which is not compulsory) and roughly half of all people go on to University.

Around the Network

^ The UK seems like a nice place to live, but when it comes to video games, you people seem to get shafted a lot :(

Yup. Shafted. We must be used to it by now though, 'cos almost everyone I know is a gamer. Seriously, so many gamers here. Loads and loads of Wiis (of course), really popular console, but PS3 has massive brand power, so there's a fair few of them about too, and the Xbox 360 has made some ridiculous sales here too, before the Wii got massive it was the big hitter.

It's a shame everything takes an age to get here though, releases-wise. It's not so bad around Christmas, but Brawl took months to release here. Still no signs of Rock band 2 either, although I don't much care for Harmonix any more. World Tour Wii all the way.

Bad Points

- Miserable & highly unpredictable weather nearly all year round
- Quality of schools/NHS hospitals varies by area - tends to be average & underfunded everywhere though
- Poor public transport (trains/buses always overpriced and nearly always late and buses tend to be noisy and uncomfortable)
- Dentists & Doctors operate on a 9-5 schedule so you're f****d if you have an emergency
- Cost of living extremely high - taxes are astronomical/running a car is expensive to due to high cost of fuel (due to tax) as well as congestion charging, MOT, road tax, tolls/energy prices very high & increasing/cost of goods & services above average/food prices high unless you want the real budget items (such as 2 lites of lemonade for 20p that tastes like boiled piss)
- Major cities such as Birmingham, Liverpool & Manchester as well as London have places you just do not goto if you want to stay safe

Good points

- Plenty of things to do, heritage sites/zoo's/gardens/stately homes/garden centers (us british have a strange fascination with visiting gardening centers), decent nightlife I suppose/a couple of good theme parks (drayton manor & alton towers)/museums
- Good tv (for the most part) with less commercials than american tv
- Beautiful countryside
- Good roads (albeit congested)
- Good dentists (at least where i live)

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions

Its not good for visitng or living in tbh. I would recommend against it.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions

What is the average tax rate?

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself