By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - For those of you who live in the UK..

uk is great when u get used to the weather and when u do u complain about the weather in other countries when u visit them e.g. spain to hot
schools are great here

Around the Network

Let's see. Yes it is a nice place to live but we have our issues like most nations. Most already listed.

I'm think the NHS is a great thing, as is the BBC. Government works well but sometimes could do with a bit more common sense (raising things like X-factor in parliament deserves being voted out of the Parliament and stripped of your MP status). Education system i think is fantastic.

Taxes are high but then wages are higher then nearly everywhere in the world, this includes minimum wage (which currently for an working over 22 is £5.73, which is about $10 I think).

My general living though, I like it. I enjoy the luxuries I am given and the freedom I have. Just wish I could afford my own house.

Hmm, pie.

Commando said:
What is the average tax rate?

VAT is 17.5%.

Income Tax, on average about 20% (I'm including National Insurance in this)

Captial Gains Tax on anything you sell worth over £6,000 is 18%

Council Tax varies on councils, can range from couple of hundred to a few thousand per house per year.

TV license is £130...something

Inheritance Tax (or screw over struggling Farmers tax, as I like to call it) is anything over £312,000 taxed at 40%

Hmm, pie.

It's pretty good compared to other countries...

It's true, we do love football and we all drink tea.

We are far far more liberal than USA, but it seems to become more and more conservative by the hour.

We worry about terrorism since the war in Iraq, even though major acts of terrorism haven't occured in Britain for like 10 years. Before then it was pretty rampant and no one seemed to care about it, Damn IRA.

TV in britain is much better than USA, but only if you stay away from ITV.

The weathers shite.

No-one speaks like Americans think British people speak like. Where I'm from we all sound like Ozzy Osbourne. None of us have posh accents and live in stately homes. Only about 1% of people have a cockney accent and cockney sounds nothing like Dick Van Dyke.

Our national health service is excellent, but everyone hates it.

Our economy is shockingly bad.

We drive on the left hand side of the road

Oh and most people in britain are chavs... if you don't know what a chav is, you don't wanna know. Chavs are too stupid to use the internet so I'm safe in saying that here.

Oasis singer Noel Gallagher says this place is a dump, and that he doesn't know why he lives here. It's certainly not as good as the past, Medieval, Tudors, the 20th Century, are good examples of how good Britain was in the past.

www.tranmererovers.co.uk

Currently playing: Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks and Red Steel.

Wii Friend Codes:

Smash Bros Brawl- 5284 2865 3565

Mario Kart Wii- 0216 0932 4306

Mario Strikers Charged- 034471 707985

Send me a message if you have added me.

Around the Network

Yes, the UK sucks. It just sucks less than anywhere else.

I've lived in the US and UK and I definitely prefer the UK.

In terms of schools, everyone in a private school thinks that state schools are only occupied by chavs who have an IQ of about 0 and just stab each other and mug each other all the time

The weather is always depressing, but we do have the best sports league in the world, the Premier League!

We have one of the best media's in the world, of that you can be sure.
It's a liberal democracy, like the states, except our version of the "Patriot Act" didn't get put through.
We're a nation of moaners.
We're possibly the weakest link in terms of unity in the EU.
Incredibly diverse landscape, culture, and people.
Standard of living one of the highest in the world.
Our economy got shitted over because we're the financial centre of the world... and look what's happened there.
Strong North/South divide that goes back through the ages.
Although improving, the country still has a slight class system.
World leader on green issues.
Expensive, very, very expensive.

If you're a yank, and wanted to come to the UK, you better do some saving for a while. It will probably cost the same as 2-3 holidays to other countries.

Bad points:
-Variable weather (again, everyone mentions it!)
-Schooling and healthcare very much depends on area
-Some public transport is atrocious
High income tax (40% on anything abobe £36, though remember you get free healthcare)
-Expensive fuel and car tax

Good points
-Some very good TV and film
-99% or something broadband coverage
-Most towns are floodlit and served my public transport
-Decent shops depending on area
-If you are in the South East where I live, it is served by excellent trains (South West Trains), excellent public schooling, excellent private schooling, and very large houses!

Tispower1 said:

Bad points:
Agree.

Good points
-Some very good TV and film Yes.
-99% or something broadband coverage With low caps and low speeds. Average is 512 Kilobytes/s and BT, the most popular ISP, has a 10GB monthly cap on that plan.

-Most towns are floodlit and served my public transport Only in London. Public Transport elsewhere is more expensive than cars, even during the recent fuel price crisis.
-Decent shops depending on area
-If you are in the South East where I live, it is served by excellent trains (South West Trains), excellent public schooling, excellent private schooling, and very large houses!  State education anywhere except London sucks. The average school has less than half getting 5 A*-C grade GCSEs including Maths and English. And a C in those subjects is worthless - you don't have to be able to write very well to get a C in English, for example. It's still better than the US though.