By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Another sickeningly sweet Wii story

So why am I posting yet another sappy story about the potential of the Wii? 

Because this one is about my family, so you're just going to have to shut up and read it! :)

Despite terrific and timely healthcare, my father is in the final days of his 9 year battle with Cancer. He's ending his life in a bed in our family room, where my mother and I take care of him. Needless to say, it's hard on all of us. One thing that has helped my mom through it is the DS. Thanks to Clubhouse games we regularily play Grid Attack, Bowling, Chinese Checkers and Billiards. She said it went a long way to hleping her get through the 22 days that my dad spent in the hospital when the tumors first compressed his spinal cord.

Our second DS was originally purchased for my dad on Fathers day, but the downhill journey that began the next week left his hands a bit too unsteady for the stylus, though he still plays the occasional game of solitare. He has the TV, and he's never alone, but it can still be pretty monotonus, and without something to engage him, he's regularily somewhere between awake and asleep.

Well yesterday my friend Jason came to visit. And he brought his Wii. We hooked it up for him, made him a Mii, and took to Tennis. He wasn't all that good, but got the jist. After that came bowling. We slid him to the side of the bed so he could have free range of motion with his arm, and I'll be damned if he didn't love it! He even got 2 strikes. Jay really only bought the thing for Zelda, so he let us keep it until Prime comes out. 

We had two games of bowling today. Both Dad's idea. And while he's not that great at it, getting to play a game with my dad at this point in his illness is enough to make my eyes water. We're going to have a tournament tonight with my mom joining in. Tomorrow my sister is coming over, and I'm sure we'll do the same then. 

I realize that Nintendo is just a faceless corporation like any other, but I know that when I look back on my fathers life and death, I'll have fond memories of late night Grid attack games with my mom in the hospital, my father's ball always curving to the left, and hearing him say "Wiiiii" after his first strike.

And that concludes my typical sappy Wii/DS story

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

Terribly sorry to hear you are going through this. My best friend lost his father when he was 19. It's good to see that you guys are trying to keep him engaged and responsive. Good luck in the coming months.

Just to show that the wii can make a great day for everyone. Sorry about your dad stof.

mM

=(

I'm really sorry to hear of you going through this as well. My grandmother lived with me and my parents my entire life and practically raised me. My parents both had jobs that required them to travel a lot and until I was about 15 they were almost never home. Four years ago my gandmother was diagnosed with severe lung cancer (from 70 years of smoking) and she died a few months ago. I know what it's like to watch someone you care about go through that and it's really hard on everyone. I'm really glad that you and your father found a way to have fun and play games together, as I know these times are rare.

Around the Network

Quite sorry to hear of the struggle and sadly the loss you'll have soon. At least it's nice how you are spending the final moments together and cherishing them.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Thanks for sharing, Stof. A touching story ... you should send it to Nintendo.

I'm happy your father is loved and that he'll be left with beautiful memories before he passes.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

I'm glad you guys are getting to do something together. My dad vanished for about six years before he passed and I didn't get to be there or know him, it would've been nice. You have my best during these times Stof.

Cherish those moments Stof..truly a wonderful story. I'm sorry for what you and your family are going through. I've lost both my grandfathers from cancer at an early age and distance could not allow me to be with them in the end. Having those good memories is going to shine in your hour of grief. My best regards to you and your family.

"You won't find Adobe here in Nairobi"