By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Verdict is in -- SACKBOY STRIKES BACK! 670K Week 1 WW (wk 0 + 1 in NA)

good software sales for lbp not the savior for the ps3 though hardware kinda below the xbox 360.

I dont get why everyone is so suprised since the "hardcore" ps3 owner bought this game "week 1"

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

very impressive for a new IP

But as BengaBenga said, it doesn't seem to have been the PS3's Wii Sports/Fit, as many on this site predicted.

Also, the Japan preview seems to be implying that the ratio of 2nd/1st week sales won't be spectacular. Hopefully European legs treat the game well

Results - 28/09/08

Which exclusive will sell the most in its lifetime?

Animal Crossing: City Folk 341 15.14%

Fable 2 70 3.11%

Gears of War 2 523 23.21%

Little Big Planet 658 29.21%

Resistance 2 104 4.62%

Wii Music 557 24.72%

Predictions: 2008/2009

Wii 42-45 M / 71-75M

X360 24-26M / 38-40M
PS3 20-21 M / 30-34M

Tbone said:
heruamon said:
ROFLMAO...yeah...LBP looks GREAT next to Gears 2 600+k in sales...Sorry, but I expected far more from Europe, with all the hype, than a mere 274k. Given the PS3 greater demand in much of PAL over 360, as we've seen in the past, this result hardly bodes well...less than 1 million in 3 weeks...I expect LTD at 2-2.5 million...good..no doubt, but hardly what we had been lead to believe was possible.

So u compare a totally new ip with a game which has already proved its great and sells great, i dont think anyone expected LBP to outsell Gears 2.

ROFLMAO....quite the opposite...I thought it was an absolute JOKE for all those people putting LBP in thte same league as Gears 2 or Fable 2...and results are in.  Those two games CRUSHED the crap out of LBP, as anyone using logic would expect.  No spin, just facts and hard core numbers...Fable 2 and Gears 2 don't require bundles of free games to push up title's sales numbers like sony loves to do with it games.  Neither does Nintendo as well...only sony seems to use this strategy, and LBP's most likely YTD was matched by First Day sales of Gears 2...ROFLMAO...FIRST DAY DUDE...that's a drubbing like Obama delivered to McCain...that's an absolute beatdown in sales figures and revenue for the developer/publisher.  $$$ don't lie, and it was foolish to even discuss LBP when talking about Gears 2 sales.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

EvilAvatar said:
Results - 28/09/08

Fable 2 70 3.11%

Resistance 2 104 4.62%

Wii Music 557 24.72%

ROFLMAO...and the ps3 fanboys talk about how they are outnumbered on this site...but this joke of a poll documents how massive their presence is.  As I said, it was foolish to talk about LBP, when talking about sales for Fable 2 and Gears 2...an absolute joke.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

Around the Network
heruamon said:
EvilAvatar said:
Results - 28/09/08

Fable 2 70 3.11%

Resistance 2 104 4.62%

Wii Music 557 24.72%

ROFLMAO...and the ps3 fanboys talk about how they are outnumbered on this site...but this joke of a poll documents how massive their presence is.  As I said, it was foolish to talk about LBP, when talking about sales for Fable 2 and Gears 2...an absolute joke.

link / bold an instance of someone comparing first day/week sales of LBP to fable 2 and gears 2! yes you are right that its foolish to do that, thats why i want a link. every thread i was in about LBP sales never compared it to first day/week sales of fable 2 and gears 2 at all, they might of mentioned beating them in LTD sales  but not first day/week

heruamon said:
EvilAvatar said:
Results - 28/09/08

Fable 2 70 3.11%

Resistance 2 104 4.62%

Wii Music 557 24.72%

if this poll is such a "joke", why are you trying to use it as evidence in your argument?

If you think the poll is invalid, don't use it.

The new spelling of fanboy is as follows: heruamon

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

markers said:
heruamon said:
EvilAvatar said:
Results - 28/09/08

Fable 2 70 3.11%

Resistance 2 104 4.62%

Wii Music 557 24.72%

link / bold an instance of someone comparing first day/week sales of LBP to fable 2 and gears 2! yes you are right that its foolish to do that, thats why i want a link. every thread i was in about LBP sales never compared it to first day/week sales of fable 2 and gears 2 at all, they might of mentioned beating them in LTD sales  but not first day/week

BRO...LBP ain't touching anywhere near Gears 2 sales..period! ps3 has alot of titles coming down the pike, and I can't see the limited amount of buying that you ps3 owner do, going exclusively to LBP. 2-2.5 million would be norm for me...3 million would start to exceed my expectations at this point...10 million would be stunning beyond all belief! Gear 2 will CRUSH LBP LTD...save this statement and feel free to quote me in a year.

I never really understood the whole "LBP will be huge" campaign anyway.

I asked several people and no one knew, all PS3 fans.

I have formed a generalized assumption that most of them realized sales for the game would be fair, but not "huge." However, i also assume that they hyped they would be wrong. Thus, the "LBP will be huge" campaign doubled as a statement meant to piss off 360 fans and PS3 haters, and a declaration of hope. Hope that their original assertion would be wrong and the game might actually be huge.

It obviously wasn't well thought out, because the campaign itself completely destroyed any bragging rights they woulda had about the game, after the sales figures were released.

Like Leo-J said, the game sold well, for a game. It didn't sell well for a huge game.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

That may be very good, especially for a new IP, a 2D sidescroller on an HD console.
But it's not huge. It's less than a third of what Gears 2 got and slightly less than Fable II.

I think it will have outsold Fable II WW within a year, most probably sooner. But it's not going to touch GeOW 2.

Shame.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective