By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Verdict is in -- SACKBOY STRIKES BACK! 670K Week 1 WW (wk 0 + 1 in NA)

starcraft said:
makingmusic476 said:
Dodece said:
Unfortunately those sales do not match the audacity of pronouncements. Those are decent sales for any game. Unfortunately a great many of the PS3 loyalists on these forums made mountains out of mole hills. Proclaiming this game would kick ass, and take names.

Well it did not even debut in the number one spot, and it has yet to traverse the million mark. No matter how you slice the pie the majority of a games sales do take place during the first month, and few games have the temerity to defy that trend. So the proverbial legs are always an incredible long shot. I think this title will probably run out of steam somewhere around 1.5 mil units sold world wide. On the outside it may make it to or beyond two million sold. That is if the sites numbers hold true.

That takes absolutely nothing away from this title. Most games would be very happy with those sales figures. Most loyalists should be very satisfied. Sadly as usual too many loyalists oversold, overstated, and went in keeping with the line of thought overboard. They billed the game as an unstoppable monster that would do everything from double the PS3s weekly sales to defeating Gears of War or Fable 2 handily.

This was an acceptable performance, but the bar was built so high the title was never very likely to meet it. Sadly I am sure a proud statement is going to be marred by snide remarks or innuendo. I agree with nailing the propagandists they really need to be humiliated more for their outrageous claims. This game however actually exceeded my expectations. I personally thought it was too niche to see major acceptance or success. Especially given the launch window. I am really impressed. Remember innovative titles haven't fared too well this generation. Most of them struggle to meet cost.

lol?  Take a look at Uncharted. It's first two weeks COMBINED were less than 100k in NA, and in Europe it only managed 85k the first week.

It's now at 1.91 million, and should pass the 2 million mark in just a couple of weeks.  It'll only be a year old in NA next week, and it's still $60 here.

LBP will easily break the 2 million mark.  It's the 3 and 4 million marks that are questionable.

As to your third paragraph, nobody said that about opening week sales.  At least nobody sensible.  You're either making crap up or basing your statements on the likes of Crazzyman.

I don't know what the situation is in Europe atm, but here in Australia Uncharted still receives extensive bundling.  A long-standing EB games bundle only just ended in favour of a LBP one.

Motorstorm showed us not to assume a game is DOING well just because it is SELLING well.

I expect games like Forza Motorsport 3 will show us the same thing.

We've already been over this before Starcraft

The game is not bundled in EU.  It was a retailer that was bundling two games with a 40 GB system earlier this year, and the games were Ratchet: Future, Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, F1 Championship and two others.  First official bundle is the 160 GB. 

And maybe Uncharted was bundled at EB games for a minute, but how can we know how that impacted sales positively or negatively?  That's one retail chain, and that doesn't apply to all of "Others" just Australia.  Why you feel the need to go over this argument again and again baffles me, but the 1.95 millioon in sales it's now at are largely un-bundled.  The game was a good game that people just wanted to purchase and play.  And it'd be crazy to think that a game with more critical acclaim, and a better word of mouth wouldn't do better than it.

>_>

Around the Network
heruamon said:
joshin69 said:
hurrah, gears out sold LBP and now all the xbox fans can vent, enjoy. While you are at enjoy Gears, let me get on and enjoy LBP and we are all happy. Just a question of "for how long"

Gears 2 will outsell BOTH R2 and LBP!

And exactly how much money will you get yourself if this happens?  (I'm guessing $0)

R2, GeOW2, and LBP will all do well enough that profit will be made.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Gears 2 will indeed outsell both LBP and Resistance 2 combined that is One of the reasons Sony stayed well clear of also releasing Resistance 2 at the same time as Gears 2 even though they could of done.
Instead they tried Motostorm which has bombed in Europe on it's first week, Why some are showing surprise at that is beyond me, Loads of bad reviews and charging full price for what could of been just a downloadable add on for Motorstorm 1 is just a joke...

DMeisterJ said:
starcraft said:
makingmusic476 said:
Dodece said:
Unfortunately those sales do not match the audacity of pronouncements. Those are decent sales for any game. Unfortunately a great many of the PS3 loyalists on these forums made mountains out of mole hills. Proclaiming this game would kick ass, and take names.

Well it did not even debut in the number one spot, and it has yet to traverse the million mark. No matter how you slice the pie the majority of a games sales do take place during the first month, and few games have the temerity to defy that trend. So the proverbial legs are always an incredible long shot. I think this title will probably run out of steam somewhere around 1.5 mil units sold world wide. On the outside it may make it to or beyond two million sold. That is if the sites numbers hold true.

That takes absolutely nothing away from this title. Most games would be very happy with those sales figures. Most loyalists should be very satisfied. Sadly as usual too many loyalists oversold, overstated, and went in keeping with the line of thought overboard. They billed the game as an unstoppable monster that would do everything from double the PS3s weekly sales to defeating Gears of War or Fable 2 handily.

This was an acceptable performance, but the bar was built so high the title was never very likely to meet it. Sadly I am sure a proud statement is going to be marred by snide remarks or innuendo. I agree with nailing the propagandists they really need to be humiliated more for their outrageous claims. This game however actually exceeded my expectations. I personally thought it was too niche to see major acceptance or success. Especially given the launch window. I am really impressed. Remember innovative titles haven't fared too well this generation. Most of them struggle to meet cost.

lol?  Take a look at Uncharted. It's first two weeks COMBINED were less than 100k in NA, and in Europe it only managed 85k the first week.

It's now at 1.91 million, and should pass the 2 million mark in just a couple of weeks.  It'll only be a year old in NA next week, and it's still $60 here.

LBP will easily break the 2 million mark.  It's the 3 and 4 million marks that are questionable.

As to your third paragraph, nobody said that about opening week sales.  At least nobody sensible.  You're either making crap up or basing your statements on the likes of Crazzyman.

I don't know what the situation is in Europe atm, but here in Australia Uncharted still receives extensive bundling.  A long-standing EB games bundle only just ended in favour of a LBP one.

Motorstorm showed us not to assume a game is DOING well just because it is SELLING well.

The game is not bundled in EU.  It was a retailer that was bundling two games with a 40 GB system earlier this year, and the games were Ratchet: Future, Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, F1 Championship and two others.  First official bundle is the 160 GB. 

And maybe Uncharted was bundled at EB games for a minute, but how can we know how that impacted sales positively or negatively?  That's one retail chain, and that doesn't apply to all of "Others" just Australia.  Why you feel the need to go over this argument again and again baffles me, but the 1.95 millioon in sales it's now at are largely un-bundled.  The game was a good game that people just wanted to purchase and play.  And it'd be crazy to think that a game with more critical acclaim, and a better word of mouth wouldn't do better than it.

>_>

it was bundled ^^ just like lbp is now

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

LITTLE BIG PLANET BUNDLE, as in "IT IS INSIDE THE BOX" not just from some retailers but from SONY -

http://kotaku.com/5043989/europe-gets-a-littlebigplanet-ps3-bundle

LBP is bundled so was Uncharted which I can also link....

Around the Network
kirby007 said:
DMeisterJ said:
starcraft said:
makingmusic476 said:
Dodece said:

>_>

it was bundled ^^ just like lbp is now

Uncharted is bundled now, but wasn't before.  The only official Uncharted bundle was the 160 GB one.   >_>  As I've said, I'm sure that it was unofficially bundled here and there, but not like the 160 GB one which just came out.

LBP has opened to very good sales, I can't see how people were expecting it to match Gears when Gears is pretty much the flagship title for the 360 now and a proven seller.

LBP has had to hurdle quite a few issues already that have really hurt its early numbers, but with the holidays coming up I can foresee LBP selling very strongly over the next 2 months, perhaps enough to quiet some of the doubters.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Jason Lee, Mallrats.

http://theaveragejoe.sportsblognet.com/ - Mainly American Football, snippets of Basketball, European Football and Hockey. 

Numbers are solid without a doubt, yet few things need to be taken into consideration. This Game was one of the most hyped Games this generation, Many PS3 Fanboys were claiming that this will be the turning point in fate of their console (another one lol) when Sony will capture the casual crowd and start crashing the Wii, we've seen loads of threads like LBP will sell 5,7,10,15,20 mln this generation, and will become a Mario Killer and defining title for the PS3. Also that the Japanese market will love it, we have seen it all.

Another thing, Sony really marketed this game Hard with Ads on TV, on the Street  and with images of Sackboy in various media (Jonathan Ross TV Show for example). And Bundling it heavily.

So without a doubt this game will make a nice profit, but it wont be a defining moment for Sony like many claimed.

I don't know anything about this game and if I did not visit this site regularly I would probably never even have heard of it. But the way some people on this site were going on about how huge this game would be I expected much much much bigger sales than this. And I know people will say the game will have legs but unless it has Mario Kart legs (which we know is impossible) it will never get anywhere as close to as huge as I was made to expect it to be.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Sony had an official bundle DMeisterJ, after the starter pack.

It allowed for the purchase of a PS3 and one first party game from a selection that I believe included Heavenly Sword, Uncharted and Rachet. Obviously not all the consumers chose Uncharted in their bundle, but it was a PAL-wide Sony-endorsed bundle.

Take it from someone who lives in PAL.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS