By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - This is the biggest problem facing VG Chartz

Thanks DonWii I was just going to Say something like :

Shipped to Warehouse
Sold to retail
Sold to Consumer
This does raise the question of how many PS3's they are still producing and keeping in there warehouses, I guess that number must either be very large indeed or they have reduced production.

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"

Around the Network
leo-j said:
I dont think this is the biggest problem facing vgchartz..

Well it's the same problem faced by so many programmers....people who don't read, or can't  grasp simple concepts.

DonWii said:
^Thats funny. Anyway

Sony is a genius. No one was believing their shipped figures,

You are a bit dense, are you, despite the fact that you yourself quote the picture trying to explain the difference between shipped, sold and sold _to_end_user? Let me assure you that _everybody_ believes Sony's shipped figures in previous financial reports. You don't seem to understand the legal ramifications of false statements in a financial report. Nonethless, it is difficult to estimate the number of units Sony shipped in the first quarter, but a guess of 0.5-1M units seems reasonable by reading between the lines of the first quarter report.

drkohler said:
DonWii said:
^Thats funny. Anyway

You are a bit dense, are you, despite the fact that you yourself quote the picture trying to explain the difference between shipped, sold and sold _to_end_user? Let me assure you that _everybody_ believes Sony's shipped figures in previous financial reports. You don't seem to understand the legal ramifications of false statements in a financial report. Nonethless, it is difficult to estimate the number of units Sony shipped in the first quarter, but a guess of 0.5-1M units seems reasonable by reading between the lines of the first quarter report.

I believe DonWii meant that no one was mistaking their 'shipped to warehouse' figures for 'sold to consumers', and the difference was embarrassing for Sony, so they changed to 'sold to retailers' which is a much closer number and can be mistaken by the media for 'sold to consumers'.

Personally I think  it was more to do with embarrassment then any intention to actually mislead (within the law)...then again PR (read Spin) is a major part of Business.

@drkohler - What DonWii said made perfect sense. Please be gentle next time. When you call someone out and go so far as to say they're "dense," you'd better be right or else you're inviting them or someone else to put that label on you. Friendly advice.

@DonWii - That diagram really does make things crystal clear. Pretty sneaksy, Sony.

"Whenever you find a man who says he doesn't believe in a real Right and Wrong, you will find the same man going back on this a moment later."   -C.S. Lewis

"We all make choices... but in the end, our choices... make us."   -Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

Prediction: Wii passes 360 in US between July - September 2008. (Wii supply will be the issue to watch, and barring any freak incidents between now and then as well.) - 6/5/08; Wow, came true even earlier. Wii is a monster.

Around the Network
DonWii said:

Since it is not present in this thread, Sqrl brought up a good point. Perhaps this shuold be added to the methodology page, or something.

I like it.

I just suggest that factory and warehouse be clearly seperated.  And just put it in a straight descending chain to make it 100% clear so absolutely no idiot can mess it up.  When they have to look back and forth they might get confused or they might lose track of what's going on in the diagram while thoughts of how "good" killzone 2 will be overtake their mind.

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout

I totally agree about everything you said but this time you misread what diomedes said.

He said his thoughts were the PS3 sold 4.0 million which is 100k higher than vgchartz and in a range of +/-5% which vgchartz claims to be in.

And what he said about the e-mails was that a person without the information we have here has to think Sony sold those consoles to consumers.

So what he said was: They are not offensive because they don´t know it better. And well: that´s true.

@Ioi: How about tracking "shipped" data, too? I know, we´ve got this "hardware" page but how about asking retailers how big their shipments usually are and uptade the "shipped" figure ones a month?

The numbers could look like: "XBox 360: 10,07M sold to consumers" and small below: "as off 12,70M shipped to retailers." What about that?

Vengi said:
drkohler said:
DonWii said:
^Thats funny. Anyway

I believe DonWii meant that no one was mistaking their 'shipped to warehouse' figures for 'sold to consumers', and the difference was embarrassing for Sony, so they changed to 'sold to retailers' which is a much closer number and can be mistaken by the media for 'sold to consumers'.

Personally I think it was more to do with embarrassment then any intention to actually mislead (within the law)...then again PR (read Spin) is a major part of Business.

Precisely.

Louie said:
I totally agree about everything you said but this time you misread what diomedes said.

He said his thoughts were the PS3 sold 4.0 million which is 100k higher than vgchartz and in a range of +/-5% which vgchartz claims to be in.

And what he said about the e-mails was that a person without the information we have here has to think Sony sold those consoles to consumers.

So what he said was: They are not offensive because they don´t know it better. And well: that´s true.

@Ioi: How about tracking "shipped" data, too? I know, we´ve got this "hardware" page but how about asking retailers how big their shipments usually are and uptade the "shipped" figure ones a month?

The numbers could look like: "XBox 360: 10,07M sold to consumers" and small below: "as off 12,70M shipped to retailers." What about that?

Well the Wii bar would always be the exact same for both.  Well there you go ioi!  Now you only have to work on 2 consoles.  It wouldn't be THAT much more work...

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout
Louie said:

First of all, it would be more work for ioi. Secondly, he would then have to convince people that, not only are the numbers on the site legitimate for sell-through to consumers, the shipped numbers that they are newly tracking are, aslo, accurate.