By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - This is the biggest problem facing VG Chartz

WiiGirl76 said:
Sony claimed themselves that it are "not", I repeat "NOT" shipped sales, but actually sold to consumers! So these guys have really a point to complain. So basically all the sale sites are lying and Sony is not...

No, people are just idiots.

The Sony report says:

"Beginning with qrt ENDING June 30th '07, the method of reporting hardware/software will change from production shipments to recorded sales".

(I wonder if "recorded sales" means to consumers or to retailers.. ;).

Note that this implies AFTER this report - not including this report.

4.28m = 0.71m (shipped in last qrt) + 3.57m (shipped?).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network
ioi said:
...Check this out:http://www.pro-g.co.uk/news/26-07-2007-6094.html

Its the fault of this idiot - who wrote this article. He read the report wrongly, and posted his wrong interpretation as "fact".

Then the fanboys jump onboard (read the comments on the site!), then hit us up for dodgy figures.

LOL...

ioi, maybe you should email this guy to let him know he made a mistake...!

"At the end of Q1, worldwide sales of the PlayStation 3 stand at approximately 4.48 million (prior to Q1 2007 Sony only quoted units shipped not sold). 3.57 million came in the final half of the previous year, with a disappointing 0.71 million recorded in the first quarter 2007. Despite the console's poor sales in Q1, Sony has announced that it expects to sell a further 10.29 million units in the following three quarters, ending March 2008."

(that should actually be prior & INCLUDING qrt#1... you fool!).

(umm.. ship, not sell mate... you can't read!)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Yeah because on Dutch websites I also have to receive answers from.. VGChartz and all those other idiot websites are not trustworthy... and that from regular websites so not really console biased... although I have my doubts. This way they put Sony even more in a negative spotlight to other fanboys with their stupid fanboyisme, plus not to imagine sale websites such as this one, while Sony meant it completely different.

Shams could you please put the link of the report down here so I can put it under some people's noses?

Thanks.

This profile is no longer in use, see my other profile *~Onna76~*

You know, having a section discussing quarterly financial reports and such, as suggested in a different thread, could actually help this issue a lot. Then there'd be an official section on this site devoted to those numbers, instead of just forum discussions. And anytime someone tries to point out those numbers, you can point them to the financial section of the site, where they can learn the truth.

And in the "Where Do Our Numbers Come From" blurb on the front page, you can point out that's it's not just other sites that report shipments, but also the company financial reports.

Now, I doubt all of the stupid e-mails you get will ever completely stop, ioi, but maybe these suggestions could at least help somewhat.

-Manella: Yeah... sux0rz! I hate missing out on food...
-Maya: Nick... what does "Sucksores" mean?
-Phoenix: No idea...

Check out the headlines @ n4g.com

It's news to them and is the number one most viewed article.

Brain washed fools...

It just shows how fast stupidity can spread.

Around the Network

Sony has stated recently that from now on they will always talk sold consoles and not shipped .I remember reading about it yesterday at Gamepro .Not to give fuel to that people ,but thats as it is .Probably when they gave their data at end March they still were counting shipped units ,though .

shams said:
WiiGirl76 said:
Sony claimed themselves that it are "not", I repeat "NOT" shipped sales, but actually sold to consumers! So these guys have really a point to complain. So basically all the sale sites are lying and Sony is not...

No, people are just idiots.

The Sony report says:

"Beginning with qrt ENDING June 30th '07, the method of reporting hardware/software will change from production shipments to recorded sales".

(I wonder if "recorded sales" means to consumers or to retailers.. ;).

Note that this implies AFTER this report - not including this report.

4.28m = 0.71m (shipped in last qrt) + 3.57m (shipped?).

Well, as I understand, Sony used to base their information on the number of consoles shipped to their warehouse. So basically any PS3 that had been produced was being accounted for whether or not a retailer had bought them because as far as Sony was concerned, they were in the channel and well on their way to being sold. When your hardware isn't selling fast and retailers aren't restocking at a fast rate, a large discrepency exists. Now it sounds like they're going to go by what retailers have purchased, which is how MS & Nintendo does theirs. You'll still always have the numbers off from what they announce and the sales reports, but it won't be as large.

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.

WiiGirl76 said:

Actually, Sony's financial report only said "Sold". Not "Sold to consumers", "Sold to retail", "Sold to Customers", but just "Sold". It could mean anything. Personally, I'm going with "Sold to retail" on this one because:

1) Sony can actually reliably and easily track that number.
2) The number looks better.
3) That's actually sold to them anyway.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Why don't you just make 3 columns for every console on the home page.

Sold to Customers (current numbers)
Sold to Retailers
Shipped

Hopefully when they see the EXACT number under sold to retailers they will figure it out
I for one couldn't find the shipped numbers on your site... for a long time.

Sony is really digging a deeper hole if they continue to lie to everyone especially to NPD...I wouldn't care about VGChartz to much since they know nothing about us....but considering that they are claiming they sold 4.28 million units...whats up with that NPD your totally wrong now about your sales...you should be ashamed NPD for saying Sony only sold 3.89 million units....whatever Sony...whatever makes you happy consider you sold 4.28.....which is a lie??