By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - This is the biggest problem facing VG Chartz

ioi said:
I am going to cry! lol

Well I think a block of text right under the main number panel on the homepage is about the most I can do to explain the numbers. How on earth else could you?

I don't want to put shipped numbers on the homepage because we don't track shipped numbers and nobody apart from the manufacturer cares about them.

yes, the most interesting numbers is the numbers of sold to consumers that you put in the main page.

Around the Network
ioi said:
I am going to cry! lol

Well I think a block of text right under the main number panel on the homepage is about the most I can do to explain the numbers. How on earth else could you?

I don't want to put shipped numbers on the homepage because we don't track shipped numbers and nobody apart from the manufacturer cares about them.

You are right and you shouldn't bother tracking them...cause whats there to prove?? nothin..nada...just having the numbers to tell that a console sold is what matters....

Diomedes1976 said:
Well I think this site charts are more adjusted to reality that the 4.28 number ,and especially that the 4.48 one .

I would give the PS3 some 4 million sold .

Still ,what I am saying is that this time Sony has explicitly said it wasnt speaking about shipped numbers but about sold to customers .Thats why I added the other link .

For anyone who reads that it is legit to think this site numbers are slighty off ,its not that he is a irrational hater or anything .I personally think it has some 4 million ,so I am closer to vgchartz numbers that to Sony numbers ,but I dont see as a MANIAC and a Hater someone who reading that SOny claims 4.28 million sold to customers emphazising it is not shipped but sold to customers actually thinks it must have 4.28 million sold .After all Sony has direct access to all the data from NPD ,Media Create ,Gamecharts ,GFK etc ...

You really can't be that much of an idiot, can you?  Nowwhere does sony ever mention sold to CONSUMER.  NEVER!!  Show me where in a sony financial report they ever say that.  They may start saying sold, but they'll never say sold to CONSUMER.  Apparently your reading comprehension is lacking.

Since many others have pointed this out, I don't expect you to get it now.  So why am I posting this??  I dunno, I guess I'm bored.

megaxl said:
ioi said:
I am going to cry! lol

yes, the most interesting numbers is the numbers of sold to consumers that you put in the main page.

What I find more interesting is the rather low number of product sitting on shelves as per end of June. Taking Sony's 4.3M units sold to distributors and roughly 4M units sold to customers by the distributors gives us a difference of roughly 300'000 units _world wide_ .  At the current sales rate, this is a month's supply only of product! We could postulate that distributors essentially stopped reordering product in the first quarter and restocking might suddenly become a logistical problem in some areas..

The quaterly financial report from Sony also raises some more issues with the PS3 which are too complex to explain here. Reading between the lines, it seems that the games division has to carry the full brunt of the laser diode development costs, the increase of losses in the games division stems from Sony still selling boxes with expensive diodes. And this will likely continue till these boxes are all sold, so the losses will actually increase in the next report due to the PS3 price cut. Also there are indications that Sony has started ordering or even producing and fully stockpiling cheaper boxes (there is a reason why inventory has significantly increased and suddenly "shipped units" was replaced by "sold to distributors" in the report).

ArtofAngels said:
Check out the headlines @ n4g.com

It's news to them and is the number one most viewed article.

Brain washed fools...

It just shows how fast stupidity can spread.

Wouldn't be so foolish if they were talking about anyone but Sony though, right?

Around the Network

You think that's bad, at a Sony Australia presentation today they claimed to have a 6 million "install base" worldwide for the PS3, with a double asterisk and fine print below that said something along the lines of "figure is actually shipped from factories"

^Thats funny. Anyway

Sony is a genius. No one was believing their shipped figures, so they make it a point to say they are reporting sold rather than shipped. Anyone who is misinformed about how financial reports works would understand that there are 4.48M PS3's in homes around the world. However, a chunk of those are on retailer shelfs. Why? Because those are the units that are sold to retailers. Oh well.

Sony just screwed VGChartz. Too bad, because we were really getting a lot of recognition recently.

Since it is not present in this thread, Sqrl brought up a good point. Perhaps this shuold be added to the methodology page, or something.

DKII said:
You think that's bad, at a Sony Australia presentation today they claimed to have a 6 million "install base" worldwide for the PS3, with a double asterisk and fine print below that said something along the lines of "figure is actually shipped from factories"

Hehehe. You can get away with anything, as long as you have tiny fine print. Sony is really trying to impress everyone. Just goes to show how badly they are doing (Media/Investor Wise).

I dont think this is the biggest problem facing vgchartz..

mM