By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - This is the biggest problem facing VG Chartz

ioi

Above where you put "Where Do Our Numbers Come From?" you should put in larger writing

"Sony, nintendo and Microsoft use Sold to Retailers (Shops) in there financial reports. VGcharts use Sold to consumers (you guys!) in our counter as this is what really matters to us"

Bolding Retailer and Consumers.

You Then they can look down and read about how you do it.

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"

Around the Network

Even if you assume that Sony's numbers represent sold to consumers and are more accurate than VGChartz you still have a problem with simply adjusting Sony's numbers; you would have to assume that the Wii and XBox 360 numbers were off by a similar ratio but you couldn't tell the direction of the bias so you couldn't adjust those numbers.

wow guys...... i understand ioi getting a bit pissed cause hes receiving the emails but whats up with the members insulting them...
cause from what i read in their email they were generally polite and didnt even insult anyone..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

They were very polite, just misinformed.
People do seem to get a little over protective of VGcharts.

It's not as if it's the NPD sending bullying little emails again ...hey did they write you anything new ioi? You numbers where much better this month :)

No one is insulting the emails...its just the fact that people should read first and then argue...I agree with Vengi on this ioi...You should just say "Sony, nintendo and Microsoft use Sold to Retailers (Shops) in there financial reports. VGcharts use Sold to consumers (you guys!) in our counter as this is what really matters to us". I think this will help out those Sony fans that don't believe the sale figures...Anyway where is the Sony fanboys?? Do they agree with what these emails??

Around the Network

Well ,this site gives them 3.89 and they are claiming some 4.28 .It isnt a massive difference ,and could very well be due to PAL region data .

Reeves told in the E3 that they had some 1.2 million sold in Europe and vgchartz was putting them at 1.1 then .Plus there is maybe more sales in places like Rusia ,Middle East or Corea than people think .

I dont know ,for example in my country Sony gave the sold to customers data some weeks ago and it was 194K for Spain ....there is some difference with the data collected here .

What I am saying is that the difference isnt that big ,300K roughly ,and could maybe be explained after some discrepancies in PAL markets and minor markets as Rusia and Corea .

This news has been posted all over the internet so the guy that wrote that mail obviously has a point ,even if he is wrong .

I mean ,in sites like this one

http://www.playfrance.com/news-infos-4-5-millions-de-playstation-3-vendues-dans-le-monde-325657.html

it is explained without the shadow of a doubt that the number is sold not shipped etc etc .Anyone who reads this and then sees this site will for a a moment at least think your numbers are a bit off .I know it must be upsetting to receive a mail like that ,but maybe you are exaggerating something ...it isnt a serious threat because it wont bring down the site and it was written quite polite not insulting etc .

@Machina-AX- uh-huh..sure I made a thread if you would of looked at it...I already discussed my actions and thats the past...and on top of that your not even on topic so that should be addressed to the mods...O_O

Diomedes1976 said:

I dont know ,for example in my country Sony gave the sold to customers data some weeks ago and it was 194K for Spain ....there is some difference with the data collected here .

Yeah, and yesterday they said the PSP was leader in Spain too...

@ Diomedes1976

The confusion that occurs is because Sony has gone from

Shipped to warehouses

to
Sold to Retailers. (shops)

This is what MS and ninty were already doing

What VGcharts does is
SOLD to consumers (you and me)

The difference in VGcharts numbers and Sony's report is : the number of PS3 sitting on Shop shelves*.

Sony doesn't know exactly how many units Shops have sold, but they DO know what they have sold to shops.

Indeed once the money is in the hands of sony (given by the shops) the accountants in sony don't care what happens to the Ps3's. And thats what we are looking at, accountants reports.

*This also might include whatever is in the warehouses of retailers, Sony's warehouses bought by retailers and waiting to be sent off, and in already in transport.

@ ioi you could put  "Why are the numbers from Sony, Microsofts and nintendo  different from ours" and hyperlink it to something like I just wrote.

Diomedes you can compare what Sony claims as "sold" to North America to what NPD+NPD Canada say has been sold to US+Canada through the end of June, and the NPD numbers are well short of what Sony claims. It's obvious that the "sold" in Sony's report is sold to retailers, it's just that they used to only cite "shipped" as in left their factories to sit in Sony warehouses.