By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Five reasons why the PS3 is better than the Wii

RolStoppable said:
theprof00 said:
RolStoppable said:

Which brings up an interesting question: What were the games to push the PS1/2 to over 100 million? It can't be MGS, GT, GTA, R&C, DMC and the likes, because the PS3 has all of these, yet it is losing badly.

the game was the 200$ price point.

So the PS1/2 only sold because they were cheap?

cheap is not the word. reasonable is. It was a reasonable combination of great games and price point.

I will stand by my opinion that one of the big reasons nintendo is doing well is because of the price point, sure it has other great features but I think this feature is downplayed quite a bit.

As for the 360 being cheaper, I think the price point comes down to value.

People see wii as being incredibly valuable for the price where MS is plagued by its RROD image and nerfed specifications of the cheaper arcade set. Wii isn't nerfed. It is the highest powered product by nintendo, whereas the 360 arcade is severely gimped from its brothers.

In the eyes of consumers "would you rather buy a top tier version of one system or a low tier version of another system."
This may seem like a non-factor but I mean if you wanted a DS for christmas would you ask for the DSfat or the DSi? In that respect, I don't think the 200$ core 360 makes that much of a difference to sales, which is reflected by recent sales.

Around the Network

With solid titles like Wii Fit and Wii music the Wii will always be the best system.

I understand where your coming from with number 1, but these aren't "milked out" francises at all. Nintendo uses those francises alot because they are good. You need to understand that, it's not because they don't have anymore ideas, because they do. So i half argee with number 1.

2. I agree with the fact that PS3 is more useful outside of gameing. But really.... do we need to play dvds on our Playstation? I can do that on my tv or laptop. and who are we to critize a video game console for not letting us watch movies?

3.- Completly disagree. Wii is cheaper and in my opinion (and 35m others) more fun.

4. Totally agree. Best thing about PS3.

5. Disagree. Come on... your main point in this arguement was CONTROLLERS? The last time i checked you used controllers to play PS3 too.

Currently playing : Animal Crossing: City Folk (Wii) Kirby SuperStar Ultra (DS) Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) Pokemon: Sappire version (GBA)

Wii number: 6770-7438-9636-6865

Animal Crossing- 3609-4531-2396

Brawl- 2793-0306-9891

tuoyo said:
Mummelmann said:

I have always said; I am a huge Nintendo fan but not a Wii fan and many fail to recognize the difference. I've owned every single Ninty console (up until the Wii) and hundreds of Ninty titles in my time but I feel they are going in a direction I don't like with the Wii. How can I not be entitled to that opinion? I sure as hell ain't the only person on earth who feels this way.

I can never quite understand this.  You hate the Wii just because it is bringing in new gamers?  Or it has many party games? Or it has a different control type?  I don't understand it.  How can you be a big Nintendo fan and hate the Wii?  It's not like you are forced to buy crap like Wii Music. 

So far we have had Mario Kart Wii which is a million times better than the GC version.  We have had Galaxy which is a billion times better than Mario Sunshine.  We've had Twilight Princess which is the equal of Wind Waker (some prefer Wind Waker some prefer TP but you can't say with certainty one is better than the other).  We've had Brawl which is better than Melee.  We've had Mario Strikers which is better than the Gamecube version.  We will soon be getting Pikmin 3 (Mr Miyamoto now that you have finished with the ridiculous Wii Music I hope you are going to get down to making this).  It will probably be as good as Pikmin 2 and better than Pikmin.

So how could you love Nintendo games and hate the Wii?  It puzzles me.  Even if you only ever bought those games I listed that would still be an amazingly good selection of games.

I don't like the controller, I don't like the fact that it has no multimedia capability, I don't like the weaker hardware (yes, PC gamers like me care), I don't like its lack of storage room and proper online and lastly; I don't like the game library. Aside from Mario Kart (which you really need a GC controller for), Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3 (so I hear, haven't tried it yet) and Zelda there is really nothing enticing in the software department for me. I don't care at all about Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Pokemon and other stuff like it nor do I like the "Wii" series games at length. And; let's face it, most multiplats are heavily toned down or otherwise poorly made for the Wii (not all of course, CoD 5 for instance, is looking sharp). When you think about it, the Wii shares very few of past Nintendo consoles' characteristics and what made me love them is now gone in favour of bringing in casuals. What does it matter to you or Nintendo anyway? They lose one sale, not a disaster, and I don't feel like I'm missing out not owning one. It really does not affect my or your gaming experience that I don't own or plan on owning one, I would just like to exercise the right to have a different opinion, something many Vgchartz users have a hard time accepting (yes, I disagree with you and many others in this thread but I don't waste my time trying to convince you or convert you).

To be fair; I don't own any current gen consoles yet, and there are several reasons. I don't own a Wii because of the above (trust me, when I first saw it I was excited as hell but the finished product let me down big time, I really did want to love it the same way I love the GC, N64 and other fabulous machines Ninty have made in the past) and I don't own a 360 because I don't trust the hardware at all and with my decent gaming rig I can get the games I want (mostly) on PC, like Fable, Gears of War and Mass Effect. Forza would be the one incentive towards buying a 360 for me. I don't own a PS3 because it is too darn expensive, there still aren't enough decent games that I really feel like spending 100$ on and I'm still waiting for proper BC in the hardware.

There, have I cleared up most of it now? As long as the tone is as civil as yours I really don't mind being asked about these things and I think we all grow on sharing experiences and opinions.

PS: I'll admit that that I possibly will buy me a Wii one day, but the price would have to be really low both for games and hardware for me to do so (gaming is too costly here in Norway imo). It is, after all, the best party console so far this gen!

Nintendo_Warrior said:

I understand where your coming from with number 1, but these aren't "milked out" francises at all. Nintendo uses those francises alot because they are good. You need to understand that, it's not because they don't have anymore ideas, because they do. So i half argee with number 1.

2. I agree with the fact that PS3 is more useful outside of gameing. But really.... do we need to play dvds on our Playstation? I can do that on my tv or laptop. and who are we to critize a video game console for not letting us watch movies?

3.- Completly disagree. Wii is cheaper and in my opinion (and 35m others) more fun.

4. Totally agree. Best thing about PS3.

5. Disagree. Come on... your main point in this arguement was CONTROLLERS? The last time i checked you used controllers to play PS3 too.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

We all know how Nintendo fans like to brag about the Wii's success, but it should be common knowledge that sales do not equal with quality. Here are five excellent reasons why the PS3 is better than the Wii:

1. The games - The PS3 clearly has the better library than the Wii according to Metacritic. While the PS3 offers gamers new IPs in droves, the Wii is stuck with sequels of milked franchises(I LOL'd hard here so you mean that those sequel gangbangers aren't raping ps3 all the time? gta4, mgs4, cod4, oblivion, ratchet games, resistance games, ninja gaiden sigma, wipeout, ut3, tom clancy games etc. says hi) like Super Mario #128. To make matters worse, Nintendo is trying to fool consumers by adding subtitles instead of regular numbers at the end of their rehashes. Although part of this could be attributed to Nintendo themselves having lost track of exactly how many games they already released in their franchises.(you DO realise that nintendo is releasing always only one game from every series on thier console with exception like mario party?)

2. Multimedia functions - While the Wii only offers two basic functions (playing games and collecting dust, more commonly the latter one of these two is used)(yeah let's forget that we are buying consoles to play games and forget about watching pictures from sd card, internet browser mp3/aac player weather and news channel that sony copied from nintendo), the PS3 is a magnificent media center for the living room and is also the only console with the ability to play Bluray movies(wii is the only console that can use wiimotes and play nintendo games). This makes the Wii look like a toy in comparison which doesn't stand a chance against the Sony PlayStation 3 Interactive Multimedia 4D True Next Generation Computer Entertainment and Gaming System.

3. More value for your money - It's well known that Nintendo overcharges for their outdated last generation hardware and makes insane profits. On the other hand Sony sees the PlayStation 3 as an investment for the future and is selling the system below production costs(lol, are u serious?). This means that happy customers get much more value for their hard earned money compared to the Wii which by now should Nintendo only cost about $100 to produce(wii production costs are about 170-180 per console) , yet they are arrogant enough to say that they don't plan to drop the price of the Wii for consumers' sake(yeah and sony was our friend at E3 2005 and 2006 when they told us that we should get another job to buy ps3). I hope you burn in hell, Nintendo.

4. PSN - Sony's online service is clearly superior to Nintendo's (if you can call theirs even a service)(where?). Aside from the overpriced ROM dump called Virtual Console(if you will find and buy all those games from auctions or shops for same money then we talk) which offers a good game here and there, Nintendo hasn't much to offer and the online play in their games requires friend codes and is laggy (you know what I am talking about if you ever played SSBB against someone from freaking Mexico). Sony's PSN gives you pretty much all you want from an online service and on top of that, it is free(lol and wii's online service is freakin xbox live now?).

5. Start up costs - Another reason why the PS3 is better than the Wii, because it doesn't come with as many hidden costs. A $249 Wii seems cheap at first, but if you add in that you need several extra controllers to enjoy the system, it becomes clear that Nintendo is ripping off its customers(lol? i've had only one controler for more than month and i didn't have any problem with that. besieds of course sony always give you 10 free sixasix with every ps3 which is almost twice wiis price, right? and add there new tv hd to ps3 price as a hidden cos since you are talking about them). The only thing that's worse, are probably sensitive Wii fans who refuse to get educated.

i hope this thread is a joke, right? RIGHT?

@Mummelmann you said

Also, in my personal experience, the Wiimote is not suited for conventional gaming such as racing or beat 'em up's pure rpg's.

I am not too sure what rpgs you are playing but most rpgs don't require too many buttons. The nunchuck + remote combination works pretty good if you have ever played MK:Wii... Also, fighter games can just do what SSBB did which allowed GCN controller playability. So that entire sentence means complete bs to me. Oh and I am sorry that your Nordic countries rip you off. Wii games here cost $50... One more thing, I don't buy a video game system so I can watch DVDs on it. I have a DVD along with nearly the entire population. I'll stick with my upconverter DVD player for DVDs and leave my video game systems for playing games.

Ya...better in terms of Sales.

Where is number 6 & 7.

6.Sixaxis.

7."Easier" for programing. And you Bugs & glitches as a freebies. Nice

Poor PS3 Sales Means Smaller Losses

"Actually, because the number of units sold was not as high as we hoped, the loss was better than our original expectation," Quotes from Sony’s CFO Nobuyuki Oneda.

@tuoyo, I think I prefer the GCN version of Mario Kart better than the Wii version. I also wish they had the option like they do in GCN version to turn off the specials like the always crappy to get hit with blue shell....

sethnintendo said:
@tuoyo, I think I prefer the GCN version of Mario Kart better than the Wii version. I also wish they had the option like they do in GCN version to turn off the specials like the always crappy to get hit with blue shell....

They have an option to turn off items in the versus mode.

Pixel Art can be fun.