By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo might be a disadvantage with development next generation

Probably the easiest way for them to go HD is to license Microsofts Xbox 360.

Its a simple architecture with a well developed toolset so they don't have to go through the pains of multicore architecture development.

Take one Xbox 360 architecture, stick the name Nintendo on it, call it a day and or If they want to give it a bit of a spruce up, they just have to increase the ram to say 1gb using 4 high density GDDR chips running at 900-1000mhz and perhaps update the CPU a little and tack on another core which will help them run their UI a little better.

Tease.

Around the Network
rajendra82 said:
shams said:
I think Ninty will have an *advantage* - as the "code upgrade" path from Wii to WiiHD is pretty obvious.

What will a PS4 or XBOXNEXT game look like? How hard will it be to make something that looks *significantly* better than a 360/PS3 game? Very, very, VERY hard. They played the "high-res" card this generation.

Ninty gets to play it next generation.

We have all seen GPUs and CPUs for PC evolve quite significantly over the past few years.  PC GPUs and CPUs today are far more advanced than what is in the consoles.  How hard is it to have a system with an eight core processor, a DirectX10 GPU, a few GB of fast RAM, and a big hard drive.  Couple it with a fast Blue Ray Drive and voila, NextBox 720.

Yes, the technology has advanced, but how much better are the games going to look?  That is the real question.  Games look so good right now that the next step up is going to be photorealism, and I just don't see that happening next gen.

Nintendo will likely be making the biggest leap forward next gen, while Microsoft and Sony do everything they can to keep their hardware costs down.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

SmokedHostage said:

Warning: The following series of statements are not meant to offend people, cause flame wars, be the target of hate or cause general discomfort to the mind, body and soul. I have to been forewarned.

I honestly see Nintendo in a pinch for developing games next generation. The problem is, Nintendo has little/no experience with developing HD software. Sony and Microsoft, along with most third parties, do. This may lead several games to take well over 2 or 3 years to finish or possibly cancellings. The hopeful side of me believes that they will transition fairly fast but the slightly more realistic side of me says otherwise. Also with the lack of third party support, this might lead to something very risky. I hope they don't "Leave luck to heaven." <-- Yes that was very corny.

Thoughts?

I agree. They also have a hard enough time with getting their games to support widescreen. Mario Party and Wario both use borders. Kind of strange this day and age.... But then again. They could get away with releasing something inbetween. They have been doing well without being on the cutting edge for many of their releases this gen.

Squilliam said:

Its a simple architecture with a well developed toolset so they don't have to go through the pains of multicore architecture development.

Take one Xbox 360 architecture, stick the name Nintendo on it, call it a day and or If they want to give it a bit of a spruce up, they just have to increase the ram to say 1gb using 4 high density GDDR chips running at 900-1000mhz and perhaps update the CPU a little and tack on another core which will help them run their UI a little better.

I personally don't see the advantage of this approach ...

By licencing the XBox 360 Nintendo would get hardware which was not compatible with previous systems, they don't own the hardware, has expensive licencing, and is low processing power. They would be better off spending their money to get IBM and ATI to develop a console using bleeding edge technology in 2009 (assuming a 2011/2012 release date), and to licence and enhance the Unreal 3 engine as a standard toolset to go along with their system.

Err this thread made me lol. Whats the difference between HD games and non HD games ? Higher res textures. So all they have to do is make a Mario Kart that looks a bit better than the Wii version. Not so hard right ?

Around the Network

Just a thought though.

Nintendo might be inundated with current Hi-Def games next console cycle.

Meaning that the Wii gets PS2, PSP, GC ports...

hence...

Wii HD will get 360/PS3 ports.

nintendo will do much better next gen than thbis gen

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

HappySqurriel said:
Squilliam said:

By licencing the XBox 360 Nintendo would get hardware which was not compatible with previous systems, they don't own the hardware, has expensive licencing, and is low processing power. They would be better off spending their money to get IBM and ATI to develop a console using bleeding edge technology in 2009 (assuming a 2011/2012 release date), and to licence and enhance the Unreal 3 engine as a standard toolset to go along with their system.

They would have to expend a lot of resources on both the hardware and the software. Why not use something which already works?

Its not like they can keep the current GPU for another generation anyway and the processor in the 360 is in the PowerPC lineage as well.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
HappySqurriel said:
Squilliam said:

They would have to expend a lot of resources on both the hardware and the software. Why not use something which already works?

Its not like they can keep the current GPU for another generation anyway and the processor in the 360 is in the PowerPC lineage as well.

Nintendo generally doesn't make consoles that break down after a year.

Squilliam said:

What happens when Microsoft's agreement with ATI expires and ATI no longer will manufacture the XBox 360's GPU? Nintendo is a company that will not use a peice of hardware unless they have full manufacturing rights to, or unless there are multiple suppliers, in order to prevent the situation which killed the XBox.

Nintendo designs their own hardware because it suits their vision of what software Nintendo wants to produce ... It is possible that Nintendo might see value in a system similar to the XBox 360 in the next generation, but it is also entierly possible that they will want to return to the price to performace position that the Gamecube filled in the previous generation and the XBox 360 would fall far short of that goal.