By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo might be a disadvantage with development next generation

Dazkarieh said:
SmokedHostage said:
So wait..

Technique > Technology?

That's the vibe I'm getting from all of this.

You doubt? Just look how 99% of HD titles look crap. They simply rely on graphics and forget the most important thing: artistic direction (well, they forget or... don't have the budget for it).

Another example is the Endless Ocean clone from Sony... looks way way worse than Endless Ocean on the Wii. Unrealistic and horrible bump maps everywhere, crapy textures, so on...

Good point,they just make SUPER-ULTRA-OMG-I SO WANT THIS-graphics just to make people think it will be an awesome game,but they forget everything else and make it crap. (Thinking of Motorstorm were I was so dissapointed there were no offline multiplayer)

Around the Network

Nintendo makes hardware to suit their own visions of software, so they will know how to get the most out of it easier than 3rd party devs.

If they could switch from 2d development to 3d development as well as they did... HD will be a piece of cake. I mean we are talking about one of the greatest developers out there... not Data Design haha.

SmokedHostage said:
So wait..

Technique > Technology?

That's the vibe I'm getting from all of this.

Technology is assumed. Every generation technology gets better.  Your technique doesn't automatically get better.

I'd go so far as to say that polish is more important than power.  Look at Saints Row 2 -- the game has no polish.  The frame rate routinely drops to about 10 during action scenes (exactly when you need it).  Missions sometimes break, the game sometimes locks up. 

Polish isn't learned, it is work.  Making a game HD means you have to spend more time on non-technical stuff such as art/model assets. Having a computer render things in higher resolution is almost as simple as changing a couple of numbers.  Sure, you have to balance framerate and looks, but Nintendo and its second parties do that very well unlike other companies.

Look at Metroid Prime 3.  It has a much better framerate than Halo 3.  And Halo 3 isn't even HD.

Mario 64 was made when Nintendo had absolutely no experience in 3D games. It turned pretty fabulous so I'm not worried in the least for when the time will come to make HD games.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

Nintendo. Please add alot of RAM and a decent size hard drive to your next console. I have noticed almost all of Nintendo's issue's in the past have been mostly related to RAM constraints.

Albion - Its Fun as Ballz !!!!!

There is no need to worry. It will be 397% smoother than the SNES -> N64 change.

There is something else that Nintendo will have an advantage on. The core game engines (the programing code) was the same from the Gamecube to the Wii (with a few extra bells and whistles) So groups that had programed games for the GC were already a step ahead when it came to programing for the Wii. (at least where the controls weren't conserned) And you can expect them to do the same thing when they go to their next console. They will just ad more bells and whistles and HD support.

MS and Sony would be smart to follow this path also.

Nintendo is already developing HD games.

We may not see it, but it's crystal clear that Nintendo is already working on their next console -and so are Sony and Microsoft. Companies like Nintendo don't stand still, they already thinking about and working on the next generation.

Theres a steep learing curve with HD content ....thats true.A curve that Nintendo hasnt even started ,even if they are working in their next console .