By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo might be a disadvantage with development next generation

SmokedHostage said:

Warning: The following series of statements are not meant to offend people, cause flame wars, be the target of hate or cause general discomfort to the mind, body and soul.  I have to been forewarned.

I honestly see Nintendo in a pinch for developing games next generation.  The problem is, Nintendo has little/no experience with developing HD software.  Sony and Microsoft, along with most third parties, do.  This may lead several games to take well over 2 or 3 years to finish or possibly cancellings.  The hopeful side of me believes that they will transition fairly fast but the slightly more realistic side of me says otherwise.  Also with the lack of third party support, this might lead to something very risky.  I hope they don't "Leave luck to heaven." <-- Yes that was very corny.

Thoughts?

I don't really see why HD development would be any harder then SD development.  Just more costly i'd think.

I mean... it's just adding resolution really.

I mean you can make AI arguements too but i've yet to see anything too amazing on that front.

Around the Network

Nintendo will have more than enough info on how to program HD games when they release their next console. They will have also improved their motion sensing tech giving them the same experience like on future rival consoles (if not better).

What strikes me as vry important, is what the general public will see the consoles as. I mean, the PS4 and xbox 720 will not exceed graphically too much. Why? Tv technology.

Do you think that with the next batch of home consoles, tv's will have a higher resolution output than currently? I think not. Why? Because no one nation, with the exceptence of Japan on South Korea, will have broadcasting signals that go above 1080p. It wouldn't make any sense.

That is why the PS4 and xbox720, imo, will see an even lesser jump in gfx than from last gen to current gen. Nintendo on the other hand will deliver a gaming system that will push gfx on par or slightly better than the ps3, and that will have a much bigger impact than the rival console will have.

But that's my opinion, mind you,,

Huh. Who would've thought that beggining anew in my real life would coincide with starting anew on vgchartz?

Any day now, the dollar will be worth less than 2 zloty......any day now.....and my life savings will be in total jepordy ;(.

Menago KF said:
Nintendo will have more than enough info on how to program HD games when they release their next console. They will have also improved their motion sensing tech giving them the same experience like on future rival consoles (if not better).

What strikes me as vry important, is what the general public will see the consoles as. I mean, the PS4 and xbox 720 will not exceed graphically too much. Why? Tv technology.

Do you think that with the next batch of home consoles, tv's will have a higher resolution output than currently? I think not. Why? Because no one nation, with the exceptence of Japan on South Korea, will have broadcasting signals that go above 1080p. It wouldn't make any sense.

That is why the PS4 and xbox720, imo, will see an even lesser jump in gfx than from last gen to current gen. Nintendo on the other hand will deliver a gaming system that will push gfx on par or slightly better than the ps3, and that will have a much bigger impact than the rival console will have.

PS4 & 720 will do 1080p which is a considerable jump from 720p. Wii 2 will prolly do 720p.

Sony and Microsoft were stupid enough to go HD this generation and they are going to do the same mistake when going full HD next generation. When this generation started there simply weren't enough HD tv's in peoples homes. Next generation there will be a lot of HD TVs, but not so many Full HD TVs.

HappySqurriel said:
Squilliam said:

They would have to expend a lot of resources on both the hardware and the software. Why not use something which already works?

Its not like they can keep the current GPU for another generation anyway and the processor in the 360 is in the PowerPC lineage as well.

What happens when Microsoft's agreement with ATI expires and ATI no longer will manufacture the XBox 360's GPU? Nintendo is a company that will not use a peice of hardware unless they have full manufacturing rights to, or unless there are multiple suppliers, in order to prevent the situation which killed the XBox.

Nintendo designs their own hardware because it suits their vision of what software Nintendo wants to produce ... It is possible that Nintendo might see value in a system similar to the XBox 360 in the next generation, but it is also entierly possible that they will want to return to the price to performace position that the Gamecube filled in the previous generation and the XBox 360 would fall far short of that goal.

Microsoft owns the I.P to everything in the Xbox 360. They learnt from previous misteps. TSMC are the manufacturers of the CPU + GPU in the system, ATI has no part or say in the whole process.

They would be able to avoid years of research and development on the hardware itself and focus on the software/interface side of developments and the Xbox 360 system in 2011 is perfect for replicating their vision of a simple, low powered console. It follows the same pattern they applied to the Wii - Simple hardware advances once again and focus where the consumer sees the most benifit. It doesn't make a better Wii 2 if the hardware is designed by Microsoft/Intel/Apple/Nintendo, they do essentially the same functions.

Consider these specifications:

CPU+GPU+EDram combined on a single die at 32nm

512-1gb of ram over 2-4 ram chips

Flash memory cards used for game storage (No noisy Optical drive and less heat produces, also lets them package the console easier)

Wireless using the N standard.

They could most likely produce all that in a Wii sized package @~25W power usage.

Its entirely improbably they will abandom what they consider to be working for the next generation, they are a conservative company.

Tease.

When most people that have consoles, and actually don't care about resolution, sure that they'll notice that it looks somewhat better, but they simply won't care why. Especially when we already have games thaat are 1080p, and will have more of these at the consoles end of the life cycle.

People will really have a hard time to spot a major difference, whereas with Nintendo, the change will be only too obvious.

Huh. Who would've thought that beggining anew in my real life would coincide with starting anew on vgchartz?

Any day now, the dollar will be worth less than 2 zloty......any day now.....and my life savings will be in total jepordy ;(.

Around the Network
Menago KF said:

in resolution we will not see a change in at least more than 10 years.

but next circle of consoles should be able to graphics like crysis in high easily.

will nintendo be able to make 2 generations jump (in graphics) in the time they have?

sony try to, but you see the problems they pass on overengineering , high price, it was hard to code at first. etc.

Jo21 said:
Menago KF said:

in resolution we will not see a change in at least more than 10 years.

but next circle of consoles should be able to graphics like crysis in high easily.

will nintendo be able to make 2 generations jump (in graphics) in the time they have?

sony try to, but you see the problems they pass on overengineering , high price, it was hard to code at first. etc.

IMO they won't have too. Sure that  their system won't be as powerful as the others, but cause of the HW limitations with displaying games, there won't be that big of a difference as there is now. It'll be more like the PS4 and xbox720 will do crysis graphics in 1080 p while the next Nintendo console will do Crysis in 720p or something below that, that's what i believe.

Reducing textures from an HD output to an HD output won't be nowhere near as time consuming as from HD output to SD output.

SmokedHostage said:

Warning: The following series of statements are not meant to offend people, cause flame wars, be the target of hate or cause general discomfort to the mind, body and soul.  I have to been forewarned.

I honestly see Nintendo in a pinch for developing games next generation.  The problem is, Nintendo has little/no experience with developing HD software.  Sony and Microsoft, along with most third parties, do.  This may lead several games to take well over 2 or 3 years to finish or possibly cancellings.  The hopeful side of me believes that they will transition fairly fast but the slightly more realistic side of me says otherwise.  Also with the lack of third party support, this might lead to something very risky.  I hope they don't "Leave luck to heaven." <-- Yes that was very corny.

Thoughts?

I think you ahve some common sense. Unfortunetly it's built on missed premise.

First HD is little more than modifying the ohm and frequencies thogugh you output. HD rendering is only Resolution. When it comes to res before the output it's all the same. It's only the output that matters. Nintendo and other companies do know what they are doing.

Second, they went 480p last generation where as the others did not. They started the path.

Third they clearly have far better deaigners in regards to technology. The Wii consumes 19watts while running a game where as the PS3 is consuming 250watts. If you thing that technology is all about implementing a higher chip it isn't. It's actually easier to pump in a higher chip than to keep a system more effiecint. Wii engineers +1, others 0.

The architecture that was developed in the GC was designed to be extremely effeicient and highly easily upgradable. This means that with very little design they can put in a multicore processer, ram, video card. With little effort. Where as teh HD teams seem to be focused on custom architecture each generation. What does this redesign mean? it means that either a) they are not smart enough or b) are afforded to builf an architeture to last. What that does mean to everyone. Increase development times, increased cost.

no. Nintendo is ready next gen and will be able to pump out Wii2 with less time and cost than the other 2. The only thing holding Nitendo back is that all they are doing is waiting for prices in tech to go do. They will pay no more for the Wii cpu now than they will pay for the Wii 2 cpu tomorrow.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

jo21 always makes me laugh.. he's so newb

nintendo can make a 3 gen jump whenever it want to

it won't do anything unless it's needed though..they always succeed on their own console..and their games do not turn out like crap..I don't know any crap nintendo games..sorry

so...making a leap to another generation...wich is actually only 2 small steps..SD to HD is a small step and from SD to 1080p is like two steps..nothing special..now

from 2D to 3D..THAT is a leap..

horrible man..everyone hates on Nintendo like no tomorrow?
oh noez! can Nintendohz do itz? it will be 2 genz?

Nintendo is the only new gen console..it's already 3 steps ahead of the others... ^^''

I argue that Sony and Microsoft will be at a disadvantage next generation with development since they are not gaming first companies.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger