By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo might be a disadvantage with development next generation

meh, i doubt it's a big issue for nintedo - like d21lewis said " they will know how to develop for THEIR console"

it's MS/Sony that will probably have bigger issues. when they start working on the analog inputs of motion controls nintendo will be way ahead of the curve on MS/Sony on interpreting what the complex input signals mean for game control.

Around the Network

Nintendo don't think about games in terms of programming at all. The programming and graphics just 'get done' and always suit the game. Look at SMG. It's beautiful, but they didn't make a big deal about it because the graphics were subservient to the designa and gameplay.

So wait..

Technique > Technology?

That's the vibe I'm getting from all of this.

Pixel Art can be fun.

d21lewis said:
While your argument does make since, if (and when) Nintendo makes an HD console, they will know how to develop for THEIR console. No doubt that given enough horsepower and a vision, Nintendo will continue to make magic.

This.

Also, Nintendo will have the advantage of raking in the HD whores by saying things like "This is the first HD Zelda." Granted, being HD will have probably no impact on the turnout of the game, but "HD" is a buzzword that fanboys eat up so...whatever.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

SmokedHostage said:
So wait..

Technique > Technology?

You doubt? Just look how 99% of HD titles look crap. They simply rely on graphics and forget the most important thing: artistic direction (well, they forget or... don't have the budget for it).

Another example is the Endless Ocean clone from Sony... looks way way worse than Endless Ocean on the Wii. Unrealistic and horrible bump maps everywhere, crapy textures, so on...

Around the Network
SmokedHostage said:
So wait..

Technique > Technology?

I think that is part of it ...

There is a certain ammount of brute force effort that some developers choose to use in order to produce their games, where they need to take advantage of the latest and greatest technology in order to produce the most 'Realistic' visuals.

In contrast, Nintendo might choose to take a game like Super Mario Galaxy or The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and keep the underlying graphical techniques unchanged (for the most part, they might improve lighting and other effects that don't require further effort from the artist) and just increase the detail in the models and textures to an appropriate level for HD output. The game might not be a technical show peice, but it could be very attractive from an artistic standpoint.

No. Nintendo is not gonna produce a console where they can't work with. They are going to know their own hardware 101%, they will know what to make with it

SmokedHostage said:

Warning: The following series of statements are not meant to offend people, cause flame wars, be the target of hate or cause general discomfort to the mind, body and soul. I have to been forewarned.

I honestly see Nintendo in a pinch for developing games next generation. The problem is, Nintendo has little/no experience with developing HD software. Sony and Microsoft, along with most third parties, do. This may lead several games to take well over 2 or 3 years to finish or possibly cancellings. The hopeful side of me believes that they will transition fairly fast but the slightly more realistic side of me says otherwise. Also with the lack of third party support, this might lead to something very risky. I hope they don't "Leave luck to heaven." <-- Yes that was very corny.

Thoughts?

could be indeed !

BUT, arent Sony and MS a bit late on development for controllers, and games that enable you to interact with your TV (meaning Wiimote, Wii Motion +, Wii Fit...)...

So it's statu quo for me.

Maybe it's easier to learn HD programming than that...

Try Rage Of Bahamut ! Free trading card and RPG game on ITunes / Android. Use Code : Laa49998 

And get free  rare card.  Enjoy !

Will Microsoft have a problem going from a three processor system to an 8 processor system?

Will Sony have a problem moving to a triple-Cell processor system with 24 cores?

Will both Sony/MS have problem developing for waggle controllers?

Every system will be more powerful than the current gen. I don't see Nintendo's problem as being different from any other developers.

Very good point, WiiStation360!