By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
CGI-Quality said:
@ rocketpig

On the contrary the PS3 has 512mb of RAM. It just splits 256mb of it for dedicted video memory (textures and such) and the other 256mb is dedicated to helping the SPEs with physics, animation, and AI... ala Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, MGS4, and Heavenly Sword.

Agreed, but the Cell can do wonders with regard to taking workload off the GPU as well (pre- and/or post processing), so the graphics system becomes far more efficient like with Killzone 2 (which IMO is only the beginning, Killzone 3 will probably show off big gains as well).

Although it makes perfectly sense to treat the PS3's XDR memory as being dedicated to the Cell that does not have to be the case, the GPU can relly on this RAM if it's needed (increasing bandwidth as well) through game engine redesign.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

HappySqurriel said:
MikeB said:

The PC and PS3 aren't easily comparable, one runs Vista and the other a far more optimised embedded OS, one will be optimised for to the bone the other will not.

You are correct that the full potential of the Cell processor hasn't been shown yet. IMO that's not a surprise when dealing with regard to radically new innovative hardware. For example early Atari ST (which was good compared to Macs and PCs of the time) to Amiga 500 ports ran better on the Atari ST, small enhancements started to pop up in the coming years though, after 2 years the first eye few eye opener titles started to appear:

http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=e5ic3Fy-tVY

But it took until around 6 years to see the Amiga 500's gaming potential fully realized. Personally I expect a similar timespan with regard to the PS3, like I stated a year before the PS3's launch. If we talk about other advantages like Blu-Ray disc and default harddrive they should show much quicker.

I think the PS3 will be viewed as a cutting edge gaming system for a long time due to this growth. It also potentially paves the way for a Cell based PS4, which should thus be much easier to adapt to for PS3 developers.

Since the days of the Amiga, NeoGeo and later the BeBox we have said heavy multi-processing will be the future. The success of the x86 IBM PC this delayed progress for a decade but now it's being realized.

There have been developers entirely devoted to the cell processor for nearly 4 years and it hasn't really broken away from the performance of the XBox 360 or a 3 year old PC. Its about time that you admit that the Cell is not a magical, law of physics breaking, processor and it is very similar in performace to the other processors. Certainly, there will be improvements over time as developers work with it, but it isn't a cutting edge gaming system anymore and it never will be again.

I've given up arguing with people making statements of the form A is "more powerful" than B on this forum, and so im going to ignore the thread owner. I will pick on you however :P.

If IBM's linux on cell division was having trouble gettting it's hands on workstations for cell developement when I talked to it's manager about a year and a half ago now, then I don't think it's unreasonable to suspect that other developers might have had some difficulties. Most of the people for the majority of those 4 years you are talking about were doing most of their dev work on simulators. With a buggy compiler.

@ZenfoldorVGI -- I fear the ignorance seen in so many PC gamers recently of current major architecture problems yet to be definitively overcome -- such as, the problems that occur as you increase the number of cores and insist on maintaining cache-coherence, potential bus congestion issues, etc -- has likely played a decisive part in this tragi-comic spectacle whereby so many people waste money on these quad-core chips which are more likely to cause performance decreases for most games compared to many less expensive chips. I think a better understanding of the problems the CBE was intended to address (even if you don't believe it was successful) would have at least saved you.

Anyhow, it seems that the CELL power is just a legend ...

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

for all sony fans .. even when the ps3 is the lead platform for some games its still work better on the 360 .. why we still didnt see the power of the cell ur talking about until now ?? is it myth ?

he meant to say no hater instead of no fanboys.

"I am not comparing 360 and Wii with the PC because we all know which console has the best hardware,please no fanboys"

Google translation:

"Im a sony fanboy, and only want sony fanboys to comment, go away ps3 haters and wii60 lovers"

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
@ rocketpig

On the contrary the PS3 has 512mb of RAM. It just splits 256mb of it for dedicted video memory (textures and such) and the other 256mb is dedicated to helping the SPEs with physics, animation, and AI... ala Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, MGS4, and Heavenly Sword.

It has 256 megs of what is considered "conventional" RAM. General purpose, Random Access Memory.

When we're talking about PCs and people state how much RAM they're using, they don't include video RAM. They're two separate entities used for very different purposes. Combining them is disingenuous.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

The SPE's that the Cell uses are not directly comparable to a PC's standard core.

Also the 4/5 years you believe for a PC to reach the PS3 theoretical power is way off.

In all likely hood the PC will have surpassed the PS3 in less than a year in terms of raw processing.

Cypher1980 said:
The SPE's that the Cell uses are not directly comparable to a PC's standard core.

Also the 4/5 years you believe for a PC to reach the PS3 theoretical power is way off.

In all likely hood the PC will have surpassed the PS3 in less than a year in terms of raw processing.

that

NNN2004 said:
for all sony fans .. even when the ps3 is the lead platform for some games its still work better on the 360 .. why we still didnt see the power of the cell ur talking about until now ?? is it myth ?

Yes, it's obviously a marketing gimmick. Sony wants its fans to spout the "cell is awesome" propoganda, because it's a selling point, and it reduces cognitive dissonance. The cell is like any other CPU, it's just needlessly complex and inefficient, which was done in order to give it "edge."

That's my opinion, anyway.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
NNN2004 said:

Yes, it's obviously a marketing gimmick. Sony wants its fans to spout the "cell is awesome" propoganda, because it's a selling point, and it reduces cognitive dissonance. The cell is like any other CPU, it's just needlessly complex and inefficient, which was done in order to give it "edge."

That's my opinion, anyway.

Sony, Toshiba, and IBM spent billions of dollars developing the Cell processor and as a result it is being used to do such things as medical imaging, aerospace and defense, and seismic processing. The PS3 has clearly proved its computational power through Folding@Home in which the PS3 excells. Calling the Cell inefficient is just plain ludicrous, the SPE's are arranged in an extremely efficient manner which is why the Cell is such an advanced CPU. I fault the PS3 for its GPU, RAM, and low Blu-ray read speed, but to fault the Cell which is proven technology is just silly. Levy criticism where it is due, the Cell is not worthy of such criticism.