By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Let's clear this up! What do Sony fans expect LBP to sell?

New prediction: 100k LTD.

Oh look, it's exceeded expectations! It really IS huge!

-.-

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

im lets just say huge

I remember people were saying it's going to kill Mario, and I remember even one thread said it would sell 10 million.

Anyways, as for me, I'm guessing around 3-6 million lifetime.

"I remember when people like Starcraft were making fun of PS fanboys when they said Uncharted will pass 1 million. Now that game is close to 2 million and selling better then ME and Bioshock. Both these over rated game sold just around 2 million on much bigger install base."

I would only say Bioshock is over rated.  I found it was great on the first playthrough, but was just boring and had almost no repeat value imo.

Also, iirc, Uncharted was released about 3 monthes after Bioshock and a couple weeks before ME (NA release date), so those games really had almost no edge against Uncharted.  Still amazing games though.

I'm not a Sony fanboy, but I would like to see this game succeed.

I have (check my post history if you care that much) predicted LBP to sell between 1 and 5 million. I know that wasn't really a dangerous prediction - it's a fairly wide range.

By now I'm willing to narrow it to a 2-5 million range it sold well enough in week 0 to justify this.

I didn't really expect it to sell much. I expected it to sell 125,000 copies and i was right.

TO GOD BE THE GLORY

Around the Network

If people are expecting this game to move consoles, what is it for Sony that the more consoles they sell, the more money they lose? Surely the games would benefit and increase Sony's part, but if you're expecting games to move the PS3, it will cost the system financially.

I was thinking of saying this; if you think LBP will be huge, it's the same thing as saying your you-know-what is huge (for guys). I mean, sure it may be huge, but it's like every other guy's you-know-what. It doesn't make it special, but it stands out (sticks out). It's something that every guy has, so big whoop. Same thing for a video game, as there are tons of games out there that are unique. But if you expect something to be unique, it's your opinion, but not everyone is going to agree with you. Other gamers could care less for the game, and I sure do care less because it may not appeal to everyone who either owns or doesn't own a PS3. All my friends who are also gamers don't see the point in this game. One person said it was a wasted attempt to attract newcomers and steal some thunder from Microsoft and Nintendo, because of the position that Sony is in. He also stated that from the beginning of the PS3's release, there should have been a game out there like LBP, but not one game can change the tide of how the system is going to sell. Many games will, which has happened to the PS2.

I work at a daycare, and most of my co-workers are female; there is only 2 other guys who work there, and I work with infants (believe it or not) all the way to 5th graders. All my co-workers (including the two other men) have their eyes set on the Wii. The only person who owns a PS3 at where I work is my supervisor, but her husband and son play with it. The FUNNY thing about her family is that they could care less about shooters, but favor racing and sports (especially football and golf). I mean, if you have football and golf games on the PS3 and the system has realistic graphics, why not play in actual reality? Anyways, a lot of the women who work there own at least a DS or two (I'm the only person there who owns 3 DS; two Lites and an original, may get another one because my one Lite has a messed up screen). The female teachers all rave over Professor Laton, Animal Crossing, Nintendogs and other games. Only 2 of the school aged kids own a PS3 and the rest either have mainly a Wii and few of an X360. I showed my co-workers an exert of LBP and they said they've never heard of the game before. The daycare has its own Wii system, two GCNs and one PS2 (I'm never going to donate my games to the daycare because of what the children do to their discs). The director had said that none of the workers or children are allowed to bring an X360 or PS3 due to their games having the majority of being violent. I don't blame her, because there's nothing worth being interested on there, for children at least.

So where is the hype that my co-workers have heard or seen for LBP? My friend Ashley regulary goes to GameStop (where she lives) and she said that there are no fliers or cutouts for LBP. I live in-town, and I haven't seen one thing for LBP, and my town has nearly 6 million in the Triad of North Carolina, and I've been to mostly 25% of the GameStops there where I live. None have had LBP signs. My friend Mark who works at the GameStop in Winston-Salem (where I live) said that they only had 4 pre-orders for the game there, and there are no signs. Hardly anyone buys a PS3 at their store, but mainly Premium and Elite X360s and all the time they sell out of Wii and DS, and sometimes sell out of PSP but not a whole lot. The Best Buy next to the mall doesn't have ANYTHING for LBP. They have lots of stuff for Guitar Hero and Rock Band, and I haven't seen any Resistance 2, Fable II or LBP. So where's the hype that you guys are talking about?

starcraft said:
BMaker11 said:
starcraft said:
shanbcn said:

I remember when people like Starcraft were making fun of PS fanboys when they said Uncharted will pass 1 million. Now that game is close to 2 million and selling better then ME and Bioshock. Both these over rated game sold just around 2 million on much bigger install base.

I never said anything about Uncharted struggling to sell 1 million to my knowledge.

Link?

http://vgchartz.com/forum/post.php?id=319099

In the holiday season of 2007, the PS3 hit around 9 million units (way more than 360s first year). However, you said that because of its' "poor user base" Uncharted sold poorly......and Ratchet and Clank too for that matter (this is not exactly saying that 'Uncharted will struggle to get to 1 million' but is pretty indicitive of the assumption looking at the alleged "poor userbase" and the opening weeks numbers). The thing that startled me the most was that when the 360 had a similar userbase, games like Dead Rising and Viva Pinata sold over a million....yet for some reason the 360 userbase wasn't "poor", it was just "more" at the time.....hypocrisy, I tell you.

Lol.

At the time of the post. Uncharted HAD sold poorly relative to expectations.

And then they DID bundle it.  And look where it is now. 

And I said nothing about Dead Rising, and Viva Pinata got where it is because of bundling.

Next time choose a post where I didn't turn out to be completely correct.

According to VGC, Uncharted rests at 1.9 million at this moment. Have you ever heard of "legs"? Just because it didn't sell 800k first week didn't mean that it "sold poorly" even in the opening weeks.

And Uncharted was bundled alongside at R&C bundle...meaning that every PS3 sold DIDN'T have to have Uncharted in it. And this was only in EU. And those EU numbers aren't that much higher than North America.

And the only reason I brought up Dead Rising and Viva Pinata was because when the 360 had the same userbase and these games sold over a million, nobody ever said things for Dead Rising like "the userbase is too "poor" for this game to be exclusive/sell a lot" yet everytime a PS3 game pops up....even now, you STILL see it around. HYPOCRISY

starcraft said:
BMaker11 said:
starcraft said:
shanbcn said:

I remember when people like Starcraft were making fun of PS fanboys when they said Uncharted will pass 1 million. Now that game is close to 2 million and selling better then ME and Bioshock. Both these over rated game sold just around 2 million on much bigger install base.

I never said anything about Uncharted struggling to sell 1 million to my knowledge.

Link?

http://vgchartz.com/forum/post.php?id=319099

In the holiday season of 2007, the PS3 hit around 9 million units (way more than 360s first year). However, you said that because of its' "poor user base" Uncharted sold poorly......and Ratchet and Clank too for that matter (this is not exactly saying that 'Uncharted will struggle to get to 1 million' but is pretty indicitive of the assumption looking at the alleged "poor userbase" and the opening weeks numbers). The thing that startled me the most was that when the 360 had a similar userbase, games like Dead Rising and Viva Pinata sold over a million....yet for some reason the 360 userbase wasn't "poor", it was just "more" at the time.....hypocrisy, I tell you.

Lol.

At the time of the post. Uncharted HAD sold poorly relative to expectations.

And then they DID bundle it.  And look where it is now. 

And I said nothing about Dead Rising, and Viva Pinata got where it is because of bundling.

Next time choose a post where I didn't turn out to be completely correct.

Incorrect. 

There was never an official Uncharted bundle until the one we have right now, the 160 gig.

What there was, was a bundle (EU) that a retailer was offering where you would buy the PS3 and got one of six games out of Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, F1, and there were two more that escape me.  I think one may have been Warhawk and the other Lair? Anyway, this was extremely limited, as all the retailer was doing was clearing out stock, and there is no way to know how many, if any of the PS3 bundles sold in that had Uncharted with it or not.  And this didn't last too long. 

The 1.9 million Uncharted sold was for the most part, un-bundled, and cannot be proven otherwise.  Now it's rise to 2 million will most likely be because of the 160GB bundle (in EU this week, NA in four weeks), but 1.9 million (mostly) unbundled sales is awesome.

Fail?

And Uncharted is still $60 in NA. Can't wait to see what numbers it reaches once it goes Greatest Hits.