By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - F bethesda and whatever team ported Fallout 3

ManusJustus said:
No problems with Fallout 3 on Xbox 360, for me anyway.

I can only agree with this.

Around the Network

Chances are, the PC version will be even worse for you.

Not guaranteed, but there are TONS of people that keep crashing, including me. I played for 3 hours, left the Vault, and now, if I wander around the wasteland, I typically crash after 15 minutes, maybe even less.

It's ridiculous, and it's Bethesda's fault, not my computer or my drivers or anything...it's all updated with no problems...it's the game's fault.

So yeah, I don't know which version to recommend, but it seems Bethesda screwed up on each of them somehow.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:

Not guaranteed, but there are TONS of people that keep crashing, including me. I played for 3 hours, left the Vault, and now, if I wander around the wasteland, I typically crash after 15 minutes, maybe even less.

It's ridiculous, and it's Bethesda's fault, not my computer or my drivers or anything...it's all updated with no problems...it's the game's fault.

So yeah, I don't know which version to recommend, but it seems Bethesda screwed up on each of them somehow.

I don't want to sound biased, but I haven't heard any big problems with the 360 version. *hides behind a rock*

Impulsivity said:

I was excited to play Fallout 3 and with good reason, in a lot of ways its incredibly awesome.  The game itself is awesome, but the PS3 port is just horrific.  I mean seriously, it is REALLY bad.  A quick rundown

Every time a friend signs on, which is all the damn time for me, it freezes.

The R2 and L2 button don't work half the time, you have to start and restart your controller.  Of course R2 uses the targeting system and lets you set weapon hot keys so you need it all the damn time.

There are no trophies months after trophies were enabled.  That takes what?  10 minutes of coding time to just transfer over the achievements from the PC version?  I mean come on, how hard can it be?  a ton of other games friggin did it RETROACTIVELY even.  

The game chugs and hicups from time to time which is really inexcusable.  I mean why in the world does their game run worse on a superior machine?  Sloppy coding in the extreme.  Kojima needs to start a community college class on PS3 programing these clowns can attend.

It has a game stopping bug periodically within the first 20 minutes of game play.  Do they have no QA department at all?  Maybe a day one patch after all the review copies obviously had it?

Luckily I decided to rent before I buy so I think I'll return it to Blockbuster today for store credit and download the PC version (which is 10 dollars less anyway).  Seriously though, they can rot in hell for doing such a horrific job on porting.  It's EA's Madden 08 all over again, but this time we KNOW they can do it right (the PS3 oblivion was actually superior to the 360 version in graphics, draw distance...everything).  

I hate to say it, since i love the PS3, but get it on the PC if you can.  I downloaded it before posting this, started it up, and played a few hours, loads better if your PC is decent at all.

Whats with all the special Ed PS3 ports?  Is the way EA now makes most of their gaming money off the PS3 (thanks largely to Europe) not enough of a carrot to get them to code right?

The one bright point, no mandatory install and semi short load times.  Plus, obviously, the PS3 controller is a lot better then the 360 when it works (though both are inferior to the mouse/keyboard combo) and the game is awesome despite the faults.

Just wanted to clarify a few things. Kojima made one game that runs well on the PS3 and you feel he should give classes on how to code? Not to mention his game was very linear while a game like Fallout or Oblivion is very open. Also you feel the Oblivion port was well done so they can't be that horrible.

Next since you may not be in the know, Oblivion 360 received a patch after Oblivion PS3 was released to make the 2 games equal. Well gameplay wise since the 360 did receive a bit more DLC than the PS3.

Lastly I'm not sure how EA got pulled into the discussion, but you do know they have nothing to do with this game right?

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Barozi said:
BenKenobi88 said:

I don't want to sound biased, but I haven't heard any big problems with the 360 version. *hides behind a rock*

Oh I'm quite sure.  I said, the PC version will be even worse for you.

It's not guaranteed though, I've got a friend playing the PC version with an older PC than mine, and his game hasn't crashed at all.

But it's happening to a lot of people...I seem to notice a lot of 8800 and 9800 users getting more crashes, though I have an ATI card.  It really doesn't seem to matter what you have though...something's wrong with the game and it needs to be patched.  Either Bethesda's working their ass off and not responding, or they took a holiday.  I hope for their sake it's the first, cause I'm about to start demanding a refund.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network
Impulsivity said:
Squilliam said:
This is a reflection on both Sony and Bethesda. In this case I would say that they were both lacking to some degree.

Sony - They made an architectural choice so they have to live with the results, both good and bad. It was up to them to make the tools to bridge the gap, which they haven't done yet.

Bethesda - If you believe Shio, this game will sell more on the PC than consoles but in any case its primary platform is PC and it was up to them to ensure that the game is good on every platform they release on. But still they may not have had the resources to fully devote to the PS3, for example the Farcry 2 port took 3 programmers on the 360 and 14 on the PS3.

In spite of its flaws its still an excellent game, so really if the choices were Fallout 3 on PS3 (with flaws) or no fallout 3 on PS3 im sure the former is a better possibility especially if you don't want to hear about the two 90+ WRPG exclusives released towards the end of 08 which pwn exclusively on the 360.

Basically what Sony did is provide a powerful scaleable system with no net.  There are very few presets and a lot of the code has to be custom.  That means no, devs can't just plug in the stuff they were using when they were making games that run on one pentiun 2 back in 1995 and expect it to work well.  Very complex processes like parallel processing need to be encompased to get good performance and a quality title.

On the other hand the 360 is more or less like porting a game to a PC with inferior hardware (not the WORST hardware like an EeePC or something, more like what was current about 4 or 5 years ago at the high end).  The 360 was designed with that in mind in fact.  It uses the same direct X architecture and the same shortcuts that come with it.  It doesn't take a whole bunch of custom coding and there isn't a lot to dealing with the processors.

At first it seems like MS made the right choice, but there are a few big advantages to Open GL and giving the developer more control.

The first is that, while it makes it harder for bad code made by unskilled programing teams (back to the no net point) because you can't just slog through it and get something decent like you can with Direct X, there is a big gain to capacity and performance for those who know what they're doing.  If a dev team actually uses the full 8 processors in parallel effectively they can create graphics and game enviornments on par with much more current PCs.  A great example of this is Metal Gear solid where the 8 cores were used very effectively and the results were amazing.  It is unlikely that MGS4 is anywhere near the peak, when you have 8 processors the only real limitations is how efficient your code is.

Another advantage is in customization.  While not having a lot of options is great for reaching a consistantly decent level of performance it is at the same time a cap on whats possible.

Yes the PS3 being more complex does lead to some bad ports, but it also leads to games that would be more or less impossible on the 360, largely due to the more complex (and more powerful) PS3 architecture.  It's all in the developers ability level and whether they choose to get more familiar with the hardware.

The system though, is not very good for porting things, Ill admit that freely.  It works FAR better when the PS3 is the primary console for the game since so many decisions (as to the games scale, the games code ect) are dependent on that.  Knowing MGS4 was PS3 only freed Kojima from a lot of considerations that have bogged down releases like GTA4 (limited draw distance, worse textures ect) when they decided to go multiplat.

3-5 years ago huh, so i guess tri-core 3.2ghz powerpc chips are 5 years old..... oh wait single core 2.ghz were top end then... oh 3 years ago you say DC/2.5ghz.... still not the same. or do you mean server level tech, in which case, yes there were power5 chips on market, where the chip in the 360 is from the power4 series, but if you go that rout the ps3 is based off the power 4 series 2 (though far more radically changed) the wii is power2 though with all of mods to trick it out it is quite powerful for its mhz rating that is one of the bonuses of ppc over x86, the ability to do more with less raw power, something intel is trying to do now

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

after 6 days of playing the game all i can say is that is F#@king brilliant, the PS3 version runs superb, i am trying really hard to see any pop-up, the draw distance is huge. To be fair it froze to me for 4-5 secs only once.

The graphics are insane, way better than those of oblivion, the loading times are next to nothing. When entering a new area, like a new city, it takes about 2-3 secs to load, when loading your saved game it takes about 5-6 secs. Also in this vast environment when traveling (in capital wasteland) there are no loading times, as there were in oblivion's world.

highly recomment.
(i only speak for the PS3 version)

I'll tell you what actually bothers me about this: developers aren't held accountable for this sort of stuff by reviewers. Even if it means having to retroactively change your review, there should be harsh, harsh punishment for this sort of lapse.

And yet, time after time, many of these "ambitious" games end up with terrible errors and crashes, and they end up with 9.5 scores and no mention at all of the problems.

Games should be rewarded for actually running smoothly, but as the system is set up now, the only way people know if a game is poorly made or not is through threads like these where purchasers give their fellow players a heads up.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

i bought it for the 360, would have bought it for the PS3 if the versions were comparable.

That is proof that something needs to be done on Sony's part to make sure no one else fucks around with these ports.

Where the hell are the trophies...? That is an insult.

So, Microsoft got my money, and the 360 version (for me at least) seems glitch free, so far.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

yes u r correct

but the thing is that the game actually runs smoothly, even if there are like 8-10 enemies attacking you at the same time.

I dont know if you have seen the PS3 version running, maybe i am blind but i dont see any pop-up, which is good i guess. Also i am not trying to say that this version is better than the other version. Perphaps they could do a better job but they have done a great job already