By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I have lost faith in the crediblity of reviewers

A 10 (or 10.0 in IGN's case) does signify a perfect, flawless game to me and I have never played a game that was like that. Some people might fail to realize that some of these big-named reviewers might be getting a little nudge from the developers and publishers to give their game a boost in score in the reviews.

Generally, I never take reviews to heart just based on their scores alone. A good review tends to flesh out the details of the game in a way so that the reader will gain a basic understanding of the game's mechanics. I also wouldn't just read one review, as it might be biased or skewed, but rather wait until I see at least 3 or so reviews out before making a choice.

Around the Network
The Fury said:
kowenicki said:
I mean... how many games deserve a 10 really? 10 meaning perfect, flawless... I have played a handful in my lifetime where I have thought hell that couldnt be improved upon on this machine at this time.

None, 10 should mean perfect in everyway, no flaws what so ever. Of course with IGN their 10 is a 10.0, they score to one decimal place so a game that gets 10 has to be amazing to get it. Surely, but they'll stamp a 10 on it anyway because it looks good but then that's IGN.

Magazines like Edge though have always been credible in my view, I mean they are harsh to an art although in recent years lacking somewhat. For 180 issues they gave out 5 10s. In the last 15 issues since they have given out another 5...have they losts their touch or are games really that much better? those new games being given at 10 are Halo 3, GTA4, Orange Box, Mario Galaxy and LBP. To me all more hyped games that are great then perfect games.

I have yet to play a 10 in my personal opinion, doubt I ever will.

I agree about Edge's reviews for the most part.  They have been giving out perhaps one too many 10's lately; but the content of the reviews themselves is still solid.  Say what you will about them being pretentious; they simply are some of the more informed, inteligent game writers in the industry.

I've stopped paying attention to reviews a long time ago, I feel although these people who professionally review games have completely lost what it means to be a gamer. They throw around there opinions as if its fact, and completely thrash anything they don't see as "mainstream" or "hardcore". Much like with wii-music, and then when someone does infact fall under said catagories, they are more than happy to throw perfect reviews out and around dispite numerous flaws. I'm sure your aware of the game I'm talking about.

Gaming is a experience, and unless you experience that game for yourself. You shouldn't allow others to judge it for you, thats why EBGames/Gamestop allows returns, thats why you can rent games before purchasing. Everyone has their own opinions, their own expectations. Yours will be completely different from mine in some cases, and similar in others. Does that mean I have the right to tell you what games you should buy by throwing around outstanding reviews?

Honestly, it feels although companies like IGN are paid to give games great reviews. Maybe Rockstar slipped them a couple of bucks to up their game a bit so more people will buy them. It makes sense, if your game scores 7.0 outta 10. People who follow reviews like no tomorrow may be a bit weary about buying a game, but if your game is a perfect 10/10. Well, you'll get a ton more customers with reviews like that. Makes perfect sense to throw a bit of cash towards major reviewing companies for that extra 3 points. Is it morally right? No. Is it profitable? You bet!

The other side is that biased, it appears quite a number of companies are biased, agaist one system or another. Its hard not to be in these console wars. Maybe these biased opinions have gone so extreme that some people simply want to abuse their reviewing powers by attempting to get rid of games all together. So they mark them low in a attempt to sway people agaist buying a game.

I dunno, my opinion places certain groups in a corrupt moral standing. Thats how much faith I have left of reviewers.

Why must JRPG female leads suck so bad?

The scores given out these days is way too high, reviewers are much more lenient to the point that the scores are blown out of proportion. Lately Eurogamer has been handing out 10's as though it was a Christmas present, I think I am right in saying that half of the 10's they have ever given have come from this year.

If they just changed it to a .5 system (like gamespot) I would be much happier, but as it is, I just use the general score to give me a rough impression of whether I should be interested, and then I normally read IGN's review, gametrailers and check metacritic. I generally trust them, as I for one, thought GTA IV was one of the greatest games of all time, even though it was not quite perfect

Around the Network

Reviews are just a guide they are not law. They are opinion nothing syas they are absolutely correct and mark the quality of the experience in the most precise way imaginable.

No need to lose faith in them just use them as a guide, for an ejoyable read, or information. They can not stop you from enjoying a game or stop it from selling.

Beja-Beja said:
Reviews are just a guide they are not law. They are opinion nothing syas they are absolutely correct and mark the quality of the experience in the most precise way imaginable.

No need to lose faith in them just use them as a guide, for an ejoyable read, or information. They can not stop you from enjoying a game or stop it from selling.

In a perfect world, everyone would agree that reviews are indeed just a guide. However I know alot of people, myself included. Who bought into the hype of a review, of a game and bought it on that principle alone. One would assume that yes, we could have better judgement. I lost my faith in reviewers because they are little more than really, really loud fanboys. They are human, just like us and very much bound by the same rules we are. All because they are reviewers doesn't mean they can't be fanboys.

Why must JRPG female leads suck so bad?

The problem with the review system is that it caters to a very limited audience. The game magazines are like Fox News, they only publish stories that their audience will agree for the most part irregardless of the views of the general population.

FishyJoe said:
The problem with the review system is that it caters to a very limited audience. The game magazines are like Fox News, they only publish stories that their audience will agree for the most part irregardless of the views of the general population.

so you mean what is essentially a trade magazine caters to that trade who would have thought such a thing... 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

You're late.