By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I have lost faith in the crediblity of reviewers

God Hand.

God Hand.

God Hand.

Around the Network

I think Playstation: The Official Magazine is the worst of the bunch. They have ZERO Wii and 360 coverage...ZERO!

Khuutra said:
God Hand.

God Hand.

God Hand.

They gave it a 3.5... I should have stopped after that./

Pixel Art can be fun.

SmokedHostage said:
Khuutra said:
God Hand.

God Hand.

God Hand.

They gave it a 3.5... I should have stopped after that./

I wish I could PUNCH them in the FACE.

you are defending sonic and wii music?

dude its not brawl thats its getting a bad score, but 2 most awful games ever.

Around the Network
Jo21 said:

Have you played both games and fully evaluated them?

Jo21 said:

Sonic Adventure DX was actually pretty sweet, thanks.

OP, you have caused general discomfort to my mind, body and soul.

Also, I agree.

Garcian Smith said:
Beja-Beja said:

Ummm no that would be a horrible idea giving shallow games that are still fun great scores/ sarcasm. But no its still a bad idea. All reviewers should be of the same credibility they need a good knowledge of gaming and have to understand what a good game entails. You cant hire a soccer mom to give a thumbs up review to any game just becuase its easy and fun, Wii Play and Carnival games would have gotten good score if that were the case.

If a horror movie buff reviewed, say, The Godfather on the basis of whether it was scary or not, they would probably hate it.

If a student of classic literature reviewed a children's book on the basis of whether it could be read at an adult level, they would probably hate it.

If a hardcore gamer reviewed a game not targeted at them on the basis of whether it was good by their hardcore standards...

...do you see where I'm going with this?

The key to reviews is the audience. Who are they writing for? If the horror movie buff has an audience that only loves horror movies then there is nothing wrong with reviewing The Godfather on the basis of whether it was scary or not.

Game sites are mainly viewed by the so-called "hardcore" audience, why would they tailor their reviews for people not reading their site? It wouldn't make sense. It is therefore perfectly reasonable for a site like IGN to review casual games poorly if they are not the type of games that appeals to their audience and given that the idea of a review is to tell their audience whether a game is worth buying this is exactly the way it should be reviewed.

If you want to know how well a really casual game caters for a casual audience, then you read or watch something that appeals to that same audience. They will give you the type of review you're looking for.

Reviews are ultimately about catering towards an audience and it's surprising that no one seems to get this (and provides yet another reason why aggregating reviews is stupid but that's another point for an entirely different argument). Although I will admit that its amazing that no one has come up with a review site for casual gamers (perhaps there just isn't the audience?).

Debating with fanboys, its not
all that dissimilar to banging ones
head against a wall 
Jo21 said:

I can't say anything about Wii Music but Sonic Adventure was nothing short of awesome. Clearly you never played it.

Debating with fanboys, its not
all that dissimilar to banging ones
head against a wall